Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

jester77 wrote: »
    Depends on what you want really. The current voyage does not justify the difference in price to the paperwhite. The paperwhite recently got an update an it is not far off the voyage. The voyage is due an update this month, so that might changes things if the update materialises.

Do you read in bed at night or in dim rooms? If so then the paperwhite/voyage are definitely worth it over the basic.

3G is not worth it imo, i've had 3G on my current kindle and I don't think I've used it yet. But it depends on your use case. I always have a stack of books on my kindle that I want to read, so I am never short of material. 3G would be handy if you travel a lot and suddenly have nothing to read, otherwise it is not worth it. You will have it turned off most of the time any way to save battery.

Thank you, that was very helpful! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

I don't have a Kindle but do have an ereader. I don't even bother with the wifi never mind needing 3G as I usually transfer files from computer via USB.

In case you're not aware, do keep in mind that with Kindle you are tied to Amazon and will need to convert ebook files that are not from Amazon or in .MOBI format.

A backlight is nice for a dimly lit room or reading in bed or at night somewhere. Also note that Amazon used the Kindle brand name on a range of LCD tablets that don't have e-ink (or at least they used to, they may have changed the name from "Kindle Fire" to just "Fire"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Ageyev wrote: »
    In case you're not aware, do keep in mind that with Kindle you are tied to Amazon and will need to convert ebook files that are not from Amazon or in .MOBI format.

Well you can find .mobi's for most common books, and conversion is easy.
    lso note that Amazon used the Kindle brand name on a range of LCD tablets that don't have e-ink (or at least they used to, they may have changed the name from "Kindle Fire" to just "Fire"

Dont get me started on that little marketing snafu again.

syklops wrote: »

Dont get me started on that little marketing snafu again.

Sorry, didn't know it was a sore point :p

There was also the screw up Amazon made with 1984 when I believe they removed it from people's accounts and Kindle libraries or something to that effect

• Registered Users Posts: 25 lightgrey

Any update/release date on the new voyage? Wondering whether to wait or just grab the current paperwhite version.

• Advertisement

Sorry, didn't know it was a sore point :p

After finally conquering the nay-sayers who said "I could never read off a screen", and almost making kindle synonymous with e-book reader, and selling their device to generations of people who had never used Amazon before, they went and confused their customer base by bringing out a tablet that doesnt use e-Ink and called it a kindle. It was a marketing mistake which IMO cost them dearly.

I have ranted at length about this. I'll spare you it again.

Would agree with you skylops. I never thought I would read 100 pages off of a screen but e-ink really impressed me. I've tried to extol its virtues to friends but no one is interested. The initial outlay for the device can be a put off for some also. I got a Nook for €40 which is grand. I love e-ink!but it does seem to be a bit niche. Saw someone on the bus today with a Sony reader!

Would agree with you skylops. I never thought I would read 100 pages off of a screen but e-ink really impressed me. I've tried to extol its virtues to friends but no one is interested. The initial outlay for the device can be a put off for some also. I got a Nook for €40 which is grand. I love e-ink!but it does seem to be a bit niche. Saw someone on the bus today with a Sony reader!

Its not niche in my family. I have a kindle, as does my girlfriend, as do:

My dad
    My mother
    My mother in law
    My aunt
    My sister
    Sisters boyfriend.

Got on the luas yesterday morning and both women sat across from me were reading kindles as was my girlfriend beside me. The basic kindle is 70 quid. Its not exactly breaking the bank for most.

Paperwhite price down to £79.99 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

So ordered my first kindle this week and was wondering if you guys use a case with yours? I haven't ordered one and think I'd prefer it naked but wonder if any of you think it is a necessity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

adox wrote: »
    So ordered my first kindle this week and was wondering if you guys use a case with yours? I haven't ordered one and think I'd prefer it naked but wonder if any of you think it is a necessity?

Where will you use it? If you are only reading at home, then it is not really necessary. But if you are bringing it with you, then a case is good to protect the screen when it is in your pocket or bag. I don't like flip covers, I got this one years ago, all the new kindles still fit in and I've no issues with it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Mine is mostly used at home, but I have it in a flip cover so that it survives getting flung in hand luggage, and also getting a cup of coffee placed on it when it gets mistaken for a coaster. Also the reading light attaches to the cover, but that's not an issue if your getting one of these fancy paperwhite things.

lightgrey wrote: »
    Paperwhite price down to £79.99 now.

I'm guessing that this is a black Friday deal thing. The standard version is £50. You of course have to factor in Irish VAT and conversion pushing it over €70.

So cancelled my order with Amazon(ordered on Wednesday and still hadn't shipped today) as I found it cheaper in Argos and picked up the paperwhite today.

Just having a play with it now and one thing I do notice is some light bleed from the lights at the bottom of the screen, especially bottom right. Is this normal?

It's my first e reader so have no experience with them and maybe am looking for issues.

Also, probably a stupid question but, when not using the device do you power it off or put it to sleep? And is putting it to sleep pressing the power button briefly?

So cancelled my order with Amazon(ordered on Wednesday and still hadn't shipped today) as I found it cheaper in Argos and picked up the paperwhite today.

Just having a play with it now and one thing I do notice is some light bleed from the lights at the bottom of the screen, especially bottom right. Is this normal?

It's my first e reader so have no experience with them and maybe am looking for issues.

Also, probably a stupid question but, when not using the device do you power it off or put it to sleep? And is putting it to sleep pressing the power button briefly?

I don't have a Kindle but have a Nook glowlight. Afaik they only use power when the light is on and when changing pages/screens. Once the screen is rendered it doesn't use much more power. I leave mine on and screensavers switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

A nice folio case is essential, in my opinion. It obviously protects the kindle from bumps and scratches. But it also makes the kindle so much more comfortable to hold and operate in one hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Morby

Hi all,

I'm thinking of upgrading to the All-new Paperwhite, but for the life of me, I can't seem to find out if it accepts an SD card to increase storage?

Can't find any mention of it anywhere on the Amazon site or even on reviews of it online.

Would really appreciate if anyone knew the answer to this one please, thanks :)

Morby wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm thinking of upgrading to the All-new Paperwhite, but for the life of me, I can't seem to find out if it accepts an SD card to increase storage?

Can't find any mention of it anywhere on the Amazon site or even on reviews of it online.

Would really appreciate if anyone knew the answer to this one please, thanks :)

The storage in the Paperwhite is 4GB. There is no expandable storage so you can't insert an SD card. However, the average size of a decent sized ebook is about 4MB, meaning the SD allows you to hold about a thousand books. As well as that you get cloud storage for any more books you have which is pretty much unlimited.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Morby

Thanks for the quick and detailed reply Syklops, appreciated!

Just as much as I figured! I'll still go for it, currently using a Nook Glow, but looking forward to trying out the new Paperwhite!

Cheers!

Just a quick update on my slight problem with the screen and the bright spot on the bottom right bleeding into text, I got on to Amazon customer support(even though I purchased in Argos) and they were extremely helpful.

Firstly the guy said there shouldn't be that bright spot I had on the screen and offered to send a replacement unti out straight away. When I explained I had purchased locally in Argos he said the warrant was with Amazon and I could either go back to Argos for a full refund or he would send me a replacement unti that day and also and free post label to send the unit back to them, which I purchased in Argos. I have 30 days to return the old unit or else I will be charged for the new one they sent.

Brilliant customer service as always from Amazon.

Oh and I also ordered a case as well following advice on here. :)

• Advertisement

The few times I had to contact Amazon support it was excellent. No quibbling and no fobbing you off. The attitude was "If its an amazon product, its our responsibility".

Makes a mockery out of many other customer services.

Just a quick update on my slight problem with the screen and the bright spot on the bottom right bleeding into text, I got on to Amazon customer support(even though I purchased in Argos) and they were extremely helpful.

Firstly the guy said there shouldn't be that bright spot I had on the screen and offered to send a replacement unti out straight away. When I explained I had purchased locally in Argos he said the warrant was with Amazon and I could either go back to Argos for a full refund or he would send me a replacement unti that day and also and free post label to send the unit back to them, which I purchased in Argos. I have 30 days to return the old unit or else I will be charged for the new one they sent.

Brilliant customer service as always from Amazon.

Oh and I also ordered a case as well following advice on here. :)

So the replacement arrived and if anything the light on it is a little worse. Bottom of the screen where the four lights are, is brighter than the rest of the screen with a near blueish tint and some shadows. I find it quite distracting. Hopefully I will get used to it as this is my second unit in a week, so can only presume that this is the norm rather than faulty unit.

Maybe I've been spoiled with backlight screens in phones and tablets(as far as whiteness and evenness of colour) but I'm pretty disappointed with the screen on the paperwhite.

I guess I will keep it. Have a case on the way as well and anyway I really want an ereader as I feel it will help me get back into reading on a more regular basis.

Initial reaction though is a disappointing display.

Quick update. 3rd unit on the way from Amazon!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Not sure if this is the issue you are having, but there is uneven light at the bottom of paperwhite devices, it is more noticeable when the back light is at a lower setting. It's acknowledged somewhere in Amazons online support. Her is an article about it:

http://techcrunch.com/2012/10/13/amazon-acknowledges-uneven-lighting-on-the-kindle-paperwhite/

jester77 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the issue you are having, but there is uneven light at the bottom of paperwhite devices, it is more noticeable when the back light is at a lower setting. It's acknowledged somewhere in Amazons online support. Her is an article about it:

http://techcrunch.com/2012/10/13/amazon-acknowledges-uneven-lighting-on-the-kindle-paperwhite/

Yeah it is similar although those flagged problems were for the initial batch of the older model, which are supposed to have been addressed.

Anyway I`ll see what the third one is like, probably the same or similar. May hang on to it as i really do want an ereader. If I request a refund Ive no idea how it would work, considering the original one I bought and sent to them for replacement was bought in Argos. I also had a case arrive for it that I purchased too so would be left flogging that at a loss having never used it.

Either way the customer service has been brilliant from them. Just a shame about the product itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭chases0102

Hiya folks,

Looking for a Christmas present for myself, and having wanted to get an e-reader for sometime now, I think it's time.

Having done some light research, I've wittled it down it to Kobo Glow, and Kindle Paperwhite.

Can anyone advise as to which may be the better machine to go for?

chases0102 wrote: »
    Hiya folks,

Looking for a Christmas present for myself, and having wanted to get an e-reader for sometime now, I think it's time.

Having done some light research, I've wittled it down it to Kobo Glow, and Kindle Paperwhite.

Can anyone advise as to which may be the better machine to go for?

This chart on the specs of various readers might help you. Kobo has the microSD option.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_e-book_readers#Electronic-paper_displays

Kindle uses its own ebook format while Kobo uses .EPUB which is a little bit more open but Calibre can convert between formats and plug-ins help with DRM.

I heard a techie journo on Newstalk recently dump on e-ink e-eaders and advise people to just buy an LCD tablet. Can't agree with that at all as e-ink is in a different league to a tablet when it comes to reading books.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭chases0102

Sound for that Ageyev!

Any essential accessories you guys recommend? As it's a gift I'd prefer not to get something just for the sake of it so was leaning towards a kindle voucher to spend on whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I heard a techie journo on Newstalk recently dump on e-ink e-eaders and advise people to just buy an LCD tablet. Can't agree with that at all as e-ink is in a different league to a tablet when it comes to reading books.

It's surprising that people like that don't get it.

Reading websites and similar then an LCD tablet is the right choice, but couldn't read a book on one as it's too distracting apart from anything else. I have read bits of books using the Kindle apps on tablet or phone, but it's nowhere near as comfortable to do and would only be when looking for something to do to waste 5 minutes. If you are actually looking to read books then an e-reader is the right tool for the job, using a tablet or phone is like using a chainsaw to hammer a nail in.

Advertisement