Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭chases0102

Hi all,

I received a Kindle Paperwhite for Christmas - delighted with it, I got a brown leather cover with it too, so it really looks the business.

Just a quick query someone may be able to help me out with - and I may be missing something ever so obvious - but before I got my Kindle, I had a Kindle account, as I read books on my iPad through the Kindle App.

Now, these books are appearing on my 'cloud' on the Kindle...I have tried downloading them onto the device, but it just says 'loading'...is there anything I need to do so I can read these books on my Kindle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Are you downloading on wifi? I find 3G useless for this.

Yeah, using WiFi alright....didn't get one with 3G enabled. Am I missing anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Strange. You should be able to download all of your books. If they aren't downloading from the device, can you go into your amazon account and try sending one individually to see if that works?

Will give that a go. Thanks Juke, will let you know how I get on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I haven't a clue what I'm doing and really need some simple instructions here.

I know about the Kindle update that we're meant to install so I took my Kindle out from hibernation and clicked the link in my email that would bring me to the instructions on what to do.

It was basically as simple as : "Go to MENU on your Kindle, select CHECK AND SYNC FOR ITEMS and any new updates will be installed."
    Well, I did that, and it said "NO NEW UPDATES".

I thought that was odd as I haven't used the Kindle in a year so surely it would have found this new update we're all being told about?

So I called Amazon and the guy sent me instructions on how to manually install the update.
    And this is where I've gone mad and lost my patience.

I clicked the link (Software Update: 4.1.2) and a box pops up asking me if I want to OPEN or SAVE the file.

I chose OPEN and it asked me how I wanted to view the file.

I selected LOOK FOR APP IN APP-STORE as I wasn't sure what to pick.

It brought me to CRAFTY EML VIEWER and opened the file but it's a binary file (.bin), so it's literally just lots of numbers.

Anyway, then I tried saving the file and was able to save it to my desktop.

The issue basically is that I don't actually know how to copy this file to my Kindle and make it update.

I saved the file to my desktop and I plugged my Kindle into my computer.

I then right-clicked the file on my desktop and chose COPY and went into the Kindle drive on my computer and tried to PASTE the file there but I wasn't entirely sure where I'm meant to stick it.

Do I just paste it onto the icon that says KINDLE or do I open the DOCUMENT folder in the Kindle drive and paste it there?
    And then how do I actually enable the updating process?

I tried to and when I opened the Menu icon on my Kindle, and chose CHECK AND SYNC FOR NEW ITEMS, it again said NO NEW UPDATES FOUND.

Can someone please help me install this update or at least tell me what I'm doing wrong?
    If I don't update my Kindle by March 22nd, it's no longer usable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

fussyonion wrote: »
    I haven't a clue what I'm doing and really need some simple instructions here.

I know about the Kindle update that we're meant to install so I took my Kindle out from hibernation and clicked the link in my email that would bring me to the instructions on what to do.

It was basically as simple as : "Go to MENU on your Kindle, select CHECK AND SYNC FOR ITEMS and any new updates will be installed."
    Well, I did that, and it said "NO NEW UPDATES".

I thought that was odd as I haven't used the Kindle in a year so surely it would have found this new update we're all being told about?

So I called Amazon and the guy sent me instructions on how to manually install the update.
    And this is where I've gone mad and lost my patience.

I clicked the link (Software Update: 4.1.2) and a box pops up asking me if I want to OPEN or SAVE the file.

I chose OPEN and it asked me how I wanted to view the file.

I selected LOOK FOR APP IN APP-STORE as I wasn't sure what to pick.

It brought me to CRAFTY EML VIEWER and opened the file but it's a binary file (.bin), so it's literally just lots of numbers.

Anyway, then I tried saving the file and was able to save it to my desktop.

The issue basically is that I don't actually know how to copy this file to my Kindle and make it update.

I saved the file to my desktop and I plugged my Kindle into my computer.

I then right-clicked the file on my desktop and chose COPY and went into the Kindle drive on my computer and tried to PASTE the file there but I wasn't entirely sure where I'm meant to stick it.

Do I just paste it onto the icon that says KINDLE or do I open the DOCUMENT folder in the Kindle drive and paste it there?
    And then how do I actually enable the updating process?

I tried to and when I opened the Menu icon on my Kindle, and chose CHECK AND SYNC FOR NEW ITEMS, it again said NO NEW UPDATES FOUND.

Can someone please help me install this update or at least tell me what I'm doing wrong?

This update was news to me. I just checked my Kindle and I am already up to date. I didn't consciously ever update it, so it must have updated it itself. Just checked with herself and hers has also updated itself.

Which Kindle do you have? The first thing I would do is check your current version of software. On my kindle, I go to Home then Settings, and bottom right hand corner it says "Version Kindle 3.4.2" which is the updated version for my model of Kindle.

Once I know which Kindle you have I can give you specific steps for checking your current version.

syklops wrote: »
    This update was news to me. I just checked my Kindle and I am already up to date. I didn't consciously ever update it, so it must have updated it itself. Just checked with herself and hers has also updated itself.

Which Kindle do you have? The first thing I would do is check your current version of software. On my kindle, I go to Home then Settings, and bottom right hand corner it says "Version Kindle 3.4.2" which is the updated version for my model of Kindle.

Once I know which Kindle you have I can give you specific steps for checking your current version.

Mine is 4.1.1 and Amazon confirmed this. Is it possible the Kindle updated itself once I turned it on and connected to Wifi?

Mine is 4.1.1 and Amazon confirmed this. Is it possible the Kindle updated itself once I turned it on and connected to Wifi?

It is possible, but if your Kindle is a 4th or 5th generation Kindle then you need 4.1.3 or above. When you clicked "Sync and check for new items", were you connected to the WiFi at the time?

It is possible, but if your Kindle is a 4th or 5th generation Kindle then you need 4.1.3 or above. When you clicked "Sync and check for new items", were you connected to the WiFi at the time?

Yes and I turned it off and on again and re-checked. It's still saying NO NEW ITEMS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,211 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

copy .bin file to the root of kindle, not into a folder, eject kindle, using menu on kindle tell it to do the update
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201177300

.bin version to use
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200774090

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

I was on 4.1.1 as well, it didn't update automatically, or by checking&syncing...

I googled, and found this page:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_navbox_top_kindlelgi?nodeId=200774090

Pulled down 4.1.2 & 4.1.3 to my laptop, and copied the Update_kindle_4.1.2.bin file to the root of the kindle drive, disconnected the kindle, and chose update from the menu in the settings screen...

rinse/repeat for 4.1.3

kierank01 wrote: »
    I was on 4.1.1 as well, it didn't update automatically, or by checking&syncing...

I googled, and found this page:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_navbox_top_kindlelgi?nodeId=200774090

Pulled down 4.1.2 & 4.1.3 to my laptop, and copied the Update_kindle_4.1.2.bin file to the root of the kindle drive, disconnected the kindle, and chose update from the menu in the settings screen...

rinse/repeat for 4.1.3

Sorry to be a total noob with techy stuff but it's the bit in bold I can't do.
    Would you be able to explain it for me?
    Step by step if possible?

I don't know WHERE to save the file to on my computer and I don't know how to copy it to my Kindle..especially the bit about the "root".
    Sorry, it's just all so confusing to me!

not english but does show it
    drag and drop or cut and paste the update file from download folder to kindle main folder

Fussyonion,

Download this file

Thats the first update you need. Save it to your desktop.

Plug your kindle into your computer, open "My Computer". After plugging in the kindle a new icon should appear called Kindle. Double click on the new icon. This is the root directory of your kindle, copy the update file from your desktop to here. Then unplug your kindle and go to "Sync and check for new updates". It should find the update, and install it.

Then, Download this file and save it to your desktop. Then, plug your kindle into your computer, open "My Computer". After plugging in the kindle a new icon should appear called Kindle. Double click on the new icon. This is the root directory of your kindle, copy the update file from your desktop to here. Then unplug your kindle and go to "Sync and check for new updates". It should find the update, and install it.

And then you are done. Any questions?

Fussyonion,

Download this file

Thats the first update you need. Save it to your desktop.

Plug your kindle into your computer, open "My Computer". After plugging in the kindle a new icon should appear called Kindle. Double click on the new icon. This is the root directory of your kindle, copy the update file from your desktop to here. Then unplug your kindle and go to "Sync and check for new updates". It should find the update, and install it.

Then, Download this file and save it to your desktop. Then, plug your kindle into your computer, open "My Computer". After plugging in the kindle a new icon should appear called Kindle. Double click on the new icon. This is the root directory of your kindle, copy the update file from your desktop to here. Then unplug your kindle and go to "Sync and check for new updates". It should find the update, and install it.

And then you are done. Any questions?

Yes, when I click your first link (the "Download this file"), this happens;

350rk1e.png

How do I save it when that happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

you press ok...then you are asked where you want to save (it might default to downloads or documents)...it dosen't matter where, just that you know how to get back there...

when you have it saved, go to that location, right click, and select copy...

then plug in the kindle, and double click on it in mycomputer...that is the root (the top level, not into any folders within the kindle) and roght click and paste it in there...

then eject the kindle, and unplug, and select update from the menu in the settings screen...

skylops and Kieran, thank you SO much for walking me through that.
    I think I've done it.
    My Kindle now says Version 4.1.3 as opposed to 4.1.1 which is what it was before I did any of this.
    So I assume it's updated now as 4.1.3 was the new update.
    Thank you so much for your time and patience and info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

I have a kindle keyboard for a good few years now (version 3.4.2 of the firmware).

Is there any way to upgrade the screensavers without jailbreaking it?

Thanks

Keedowah wrote: »
    I have a kindle keyboard for a good few years now (version 3.4.2 of the firmware).

Thanks

Don't think so

• Advertisement

Keedowah wrote: »

Thanks

No there isnt. Jailbreaking is a very simple process, but next time it updates itself, you will have to re-jailbeak it and recopy over your screensavers. No really worth the hassle IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Barnes and Noble Nook pulled out of the UK market ie. they're no longer selling e-books and readers. I got a cheap (€40) Nook from Argos last year. Keep an eye out to see if anywhere is selling off any of the Nooks cheap.

Hi folks,

I have some documents on my laptop that I would like to transfer to my Kindle and read. As far as I know, most of the files are EPUB.

Having done a bit of looking up on Google, there is a wealth of information on how to do it....

I was just wondering if anyone here has done it quickly and easily?

chases0102 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I have some documents on my laptop that I would like to transfer to my Kindle and read. As far as I know, most of the files are EPUB.

Having done a bit of looking up on Google, there is a wealth of information on how to do it....

I was just wondering if anyone here has done it quickly and easily?

Download calibre, convert the files from ePub to Mobi. Transfer them onto your kindle.

Cheers for that syklops, exactly what I was looking for. Much appreciated!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

chases0102 wrote: »
    Cheers for that syklops, exactly what I was looking for. Much appreciated!!!

Here's a useful youtube guide to calibre

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bB7CF2bwhs0

• Registered Users Posts: 5 LeGatsby

Anyone know the best place to buy a Kindle Paperwhite?

Amazon seems a bit excessive and not sure theres an argos too near me.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Juxtapose

LeGatsby wrote: »

Probably Currys/Pc World who have it at 149.99 at the moment. Not sure i've seen cheaper elsewhere currently.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It is showing them as 20% off on the .co.uk site at the moment.

They usually seem to have a discount of some type on every other month direct from Amazon.

• Advertisement

LeGatsby wrote: »

Excessive? OK.

Amazon.co.uk has it for £87 which is about 111 euros. Its 134 euros in Argos, and about 149 euro in Currys.

Advertisement