Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

I wouldn't claim to be an expert in this area - however - just in case there is confusion:

E-Ink Pearl is whats used on the devices currently out there in the mainstream - such as the kindle and the sony.

E-Ink Triton (colour) is from the same source as E-Pearl i.e. the E Ink Corporation)- my understanding is that it is rolling out - as per the link I posted.

Whatever the overall e-reader manufacturer - the e-ink Triton display panel used in that e-reader that I linked to is comming from the same place as the e-ink display panel being used on the current market leader e-readers.

i.e.

http://www.eink.com/display_products_triton.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Dont know much about these, but want to get one shortly. Which is best model or whatever to get, ta guys

liam7831 wrote: »
    Dont know much about these, but want to get one shortly. Which is best model or whatever to get, ta guys

I went for the kindle keyboard wifi only
    (my logic is in the first couple of posts on this thread).

All of the models do the basic job though - allow you to read e-books easily - so if you go even for the cheapest one then you won't be disappointed I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Strange problem - can anyone help.

I transferred a couple of books from my kindle onto my sisters. She can read them no problem.

However when she connects the kindle to the pc, they don't appear in the documents folder - only books downloaded from amazon do.

She carried out a search, including by date modified and hidden folders - nothing.

Any ideas?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

How did you transfer them?

• Advertisement

via usb. Exactly the same way as I put them onto mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

juke wrote: »
    via usb. Exactly the same way as I put them onto mine.
    using calibre, or just copying to a folder?

calibre is the way to do it if you're copying books to/from a kindle (or any other ebook reader).

I have a selection of books in a folder on my laptop. All saved in epub format. I copied them from the laptop folder to the kindle documents folder by copying and pasting.

When I open my kindle documents folder, they are there. When my sister opens hers, they're not - but she can read the books :confused:

sounds like they might have ended up somewhere else by accident then on your sisters kindle.

i'd still reccomend calibre, it will give you a lot more options and flexibility for managing your collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Teagwee

I have a selection of books in a folder on my laptop. All saved in epub format. I copied them from the laptop folder to the kindle documents folder by copying and pasting.

When I open my kindle documents folder, they are there. When my sister opens hers, they're not - but she can read the books :confused:

I may be wrong here, but I think that only the books you personally purchase will be in your Kindle account. I have many books on my Kindle that I obtained from others but though I can read them, they are not on my Kindle account.
    As above, I thoroughly recommend Calibre - it's invaluable for sorting your library and keeping track of all your books.

• Advertisement

Thanks - I know that. Explaining myself badly :o

The reason this became an issue - she had been visiting me and they were books I got were for her son, and she wanted to transfer them onto his kindle, but can't because she can't find the files.

When my sister plugs her kindle via usb into her pc, and opens the 'kindle' 'documents' folder, the books aren't there. They are in the same folder on mine. She can read them - so they are there somewhere, but she's done searches on all folders and nothing shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 psychmike

I have received a kindle fire as a gift. Really great gadget. I am a bit stuck however as it won't allow me to download apps, telling me I am out of the geographical region. Any ideas would be appreciated.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thanks - I know that. Explaining myself badly :o

The reason this became an issue - she had been visiting me and they were books I got were for her son, and she wanted to transfer them onto his kindle, but can't because she can't find the files.

When my sister plugs her kindle via usb into her pc, and opens the 'kindle' 'documents' folder, the books aren't there. They are in the same folder on mine. She can read them - so they are there somewhere, but she's done searches on all folders and nothing shows.

If you and/or she installs Calibre it can 'find' all her/your ebooks - then you can use the programme to send them via email or USB to whatever Kindle you want. You will have to add the relevant emails to each Kindle account first, if looking for the email option.
    The ebooks could be in the My Documents folder or in a sub folder there.

psychmike wrote: »
    I have received a kindle fire as a gift. Really great gadget. I am a bit stuck however as it won't allow me to download apps, telling me I am out of the geographical region. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    if you have an android phone, you can download apps tp that and then use an apk manager to email the apps to your kindle fire and install them from there.

there's no file manager built in, so you'll probably want that to be one of your first downloads and once you have that, you can connect the kindle fire to a pc via usb and install apps on the fire from there.

there is a way to get the android market working, but it's a tad fiddly, so the method above might do well enough for you as a stopgap measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 maggiewhite

psychmike wrote: »

Go to 1mobile.com on your kindle fire. You can download free apps from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Brian017

Kindle Touch is now available to ship to Ireland, for anyone who was holding out for the Touch version

Brian017 wrote: »
    Kindle Touch is now available to ship to Ireland, for anyone who was holding out for the Touch version
    I've had a chance to play with the kindle touch i got my dad for xmas and i'd say definitely go for the touch over the non-touch version, much more user friendly. not as good to use or as responsive as a capacitive LCD (i'd say similar to a resistive LCD at best) but much better than trying to work using the dpad on the non-touch one imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Bellu

Well, for some more info and free resources like apps&games for Kindle fire, can turn to this Kindle Fire spot: http://www.aneesoft.com/tutorials/tablet/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭pavb2

I got a kindle 4, at Xmas the controller pad type, but can't find the text to speech option. On line the manual says this is on it but I can't find details on my Kindle in the manual or on the actual Kindle maybe only certain versions do it.

Anyone got any ideas.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The kindle 4 does not do text to speech. If you have a headphone jack on it then you have a different model.

robinph wrote: »
    The kindle 4 does not do text to speech. If you have a headphone jack on it then you have a different model.
    another good reason to go for the touch. :)

I don't find the text to speech great (Kindle 3). Very monotonous - unless you want to be droned into sleep ;)

Teagwee wrote: »
    I don't find the text to speech great (Kindle 3). Very monotonous - unless you want to be droned into sleep ;)

agree had a kindle 3 and never used it. have a kindle 4 now - non-touch version. kindle 4 is almost too small - sort of preferred the slightly larger size of the kindle 3 for holding - weird that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 boaber

Kindle Touch is now available in Ireland from amazon.com (though it looks like the 3G version is not yet available)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051QVF7A/?tag=gocous-20&hvadid=8783148197&ref=pd_sl_oct4e4fdq_b

i was more meaning for the headphone jack in general, not just the text to speech option. i actually spending money on an eReader and then getting it to read TO you would be a bit of a waste. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

glasso wrote: »
    agree had a kindle 3 and never used it. have a kindle 4 now - non-touch version. kindle 4 is almost too small - sort of preferred the slightly larger size of the kindle 3 for holding - weird that.
    I also find it too small for easy holding/reading th.

I prefer audio books on the kindle 3, another reason 4 is worse to me.

I also find it too small for easy holding/reading th.

I prefer audio books on the kindle 3, another reason 4 is worse to me.

+1 on that
    For the price the Kindle 3 offers more functionality than the basic kindle 4

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

How are people finding the kindle 4 too small?

I find it is perfect for 1 handed reading, I can lie in bed & I've the kindle in the palm of my hand and my thumb rests perfectly on the page button for easy page turning. I find the size is just right. I had debated getting the touch version, but the fact it didn't have physical page turn keys ruled it out for me. I don't think it would be possible to use it with 1 hand (I read left handed) as it's too much of a stretch to touch the screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Poulgorm wrote: »
    I have decided to buy a Nook Simple Touch. A relative is going to the USA next week - it costs $99 in any Barnes & Noble bookstore.

You cannot use the Barnes & Noble ebookstore, unless you live in the USA (i.e. your credit card address must be in the States.

But it reads Epub & PDF, so no problem buying anywhere else.

The Nook Simple Touch is very highly rated in all the reviews.

How did this work out for you in the end by the way? Was thinking of picking one up myself

Advertisement