Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic PC Build

Options
  • 07-10-2011 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi

Hopefully one of you kind fellows can assist me. I'm looking to build a very simple, quick cheap PC. Its to be used solely for web browsing, specifically for Betdaq and Youtube. I'm looking for realiability hense not wanting to complicate things, I have a laptop already so this is very much a one use box. Heres the spec I'm aiming for:

To run Ubuntu OS quickly and efficinetly
    Monitor: Using 32" HD TV (HDMI cable?)
    Sound: Line out to amp
    Mouse/Keyboard: Already have
    Hard Drive; nothing excessive, remember its for browsing only
    Preferably no DVD drive, USB only
    Internet connection:WiFi

If anyone can suggest components that will not conflict and will be reliable I'd very much appriciate it. I'm trying to keep costs down, but want reliable gear, so wouldn't skimp a few quid if it comprimises reliability, but like I say Its intended use is for browsing only.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Would 64GB be enough for all of your programs?

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €319.61 + €30 shipping
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€41.01
    Crucial M4 64GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")|€88.69
    AMD Athlon II X2 255 Box, Sockel AM3|€49.46
    MSI 880GMA-E35 (FX), Sockel AM3+, mATX, PCIe|€63.23
    BitFenix Merc Alpha|€33.19
    4GB-Kit Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800U CL9|€25.50
    ASUS PCE-N10|€18.53

That's from hardwareversand. They only take bank transfers and paypal (+3%) and not credit cards, so if that's a problem let me know and I'll pick somewhere else. They build it for you if you want for €20.
    It's just a dual core CPU in there, a tri-core is just €10 more if you're in the mood for a bit more power.

Update: Forgot wireless adapter.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Tri-core is often a better bet for the money, at the cost of needing a bit more juice.

Not sure why the SSD is needed. Its certainly nice but twice the price of even a 1TB HDD.

Now for the big issue: That system uses onboard graphics. And what isn't Ubuntu too good with? AMD graphics. Either a cheaper mobo with a discrete nVidia GPU or an older mobo with an nVidia chipset would be more reliable in Ubuntu.

Also be very careful with the choice of WiFi adaptor - not all of them work stably or at all in Ubuntu :o

I thought AMD had been doing a bit better with linux in recent times. I haven't had any problems (discrete and integrated) for normal desktop work, videos and window animations. If there's specific programs that rely on graphics, of course it should be checked out. I only use linux now and again, so I might not see every bug.

The SSD isn't necessary at all. I'd written out an argument for and against it in the initial post but lost it in a tab somewhere. I was thinking that a plain SSD PC would be handy, but you could certainly save half the money here.

I was thinking that a smaller case would be more suitable, given that there's no DVD and if paired with a small sized hard drive. You could get an ITX build for a close price but would have to sacrifice some performance (if you got the SSD) and features because only H61 boards are that price, so perhaps just a smaller mATX case would be more suitable.

It has it on Asus' product page that the wireless card will support Ubuntu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DAGrogan

Thank you both very much!

This is a great start. I was considering the SSD and to be honest while it is more reliable, cooler and quieter its perhaps overkill. In terms of applications we're talking very skinny, just chrome probably, like I said I've a laptop with all the whistles and bells.

Having said that I'd definitly spend the extra tenner for the tri-core. I think I'd rather have a full size case, yes it takes up more space but I've had a shuttle case before and it absolutly ate fans, something I'd rather avoid... And space is not a problem.

You could swap the SSD for a samsung F3 - 1TB and 500GB are closely priced last time I checked. Make sure that you don't pick one of the "green" versions.

I'd give you links but HWV is very slow at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

You could shave €30 off by going with this SSD instead.

http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=49171&agid=1145

Advertisement