Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aware 5 miler 10/12/2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

xmas party night before so i doubt i make it.

Make be it snow and it get push to Jan.

Last two years its snow for my xmas party!!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Sprocket77

Will it definitely be 10km, remember doing this race two years ago and ending up with it being a 9km race after the guards shortened the course and the organisers decided not to tell anyone on the day?

At least I have a 9km PB :D

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭pre

Sprocket77 wrote: »
    Will it definitely be 10km, remember doing this race two years ago and ending up with it being a 9km race after the guards shortened the course and the organisers decided not to tell anyone on the day?

At least I have a 9km PB :D
    The course was shortened to 8.97k by the guards for health and safety reasons 45 mins before the start. It was then announced just before the start by the race starter. As a result the route was changed to the great ireland run last year 2010 which was 10.03km and a great sucess.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

This is a great race and more importantly raises money for a very worthy cause. Well worth doing;)
    pre wrote: »
    The course was shortened to 8.97k by the guards for health and safety reasons 45 mins before the start. It was then announced just before the start by the race starter. As a result the route was changed to the great ireland run last year 2010 which was 10.03km and a great sucess.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Jane5

Am I stupid or is there absolutely no mention whatsoever on the website about where in the country this race is on? Was going to register, but have no idea where I have to be on the day-is it in Dublin??? Not the best website ever!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭pre

Jane5 wrote: »
    Am I stupid or is there absolutely no mention whatsoever on the website about where in the country this race is on? Was going to register, but have no idea where I have to be on the day-is it in Dublin??? Not the best website ever!
    Phoenix park

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Jane5

Thanks!! :) have now registered. Glad there are still some good races on over the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

Does anyone have any idea of the course? Will it be the same as the Great Ireland run or will the Phoenix Park roadworks force them to ammend the route?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭marchino

I see this is now going to be 5miler not 10k.. anyone running?
    it isnt the end of the world i suppose. it is a good cause too but, i did sign up for a 10k.
    Hopefully the weather wont affect this one again though.
    i went 2-3 months last year over christmas without a race, even x-country was cancelled!!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

I entered today just before they shortened it. Would have preferred the 10k but I'll be happy to get out anyway.
    Gives me something to do and is timed nicely to kick off my 18 week Rotterdam Marathon plan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Is this a 15 miler or a 5 miler?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Disappointing. At least they didn't wait until the finish line to let me know this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Why have they changed it to 5miles? Jesus christ if it aint broke dont fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

tunguska wrote: »
    Why have they changed it to 5miles? Jesus christ if it aint broke dont fix it.

I assume because of the roadworks on Chesterfield. I'm guessing the route will be exactly the same as the Race Series 5 miler with a nice finish on the Kyber :rolleyes:
    Only guessing though as their website is pretty poor on the logistics of the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

shazkea wrote: »
    I assume because of the roadworks on Chesterfield. I'm guessing the route will be exactly the same as the Race Series 5 miler with a nice finish on the Kyber :rolleyes:
    Only guessing though as their website is pretty poor on the logistics of the race.

Ah thats probably it alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭emco

Route looks OK, hows Chesterfield avenue looking though will it be ready for this?

Drove through the park recently and it was completely dug up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭daymobrew

emco wrote: »
    Route looks OK, hows Chesterfield avenue looking though will it be ready for this?
    They said, on Facebook I think, that we would be running on the path rather than Chesterfield Ave itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭pineapple*soul

Just a timely bump to let you know that there's only 5 days left to register. -> http://bit.ly/tnS10s

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Anyone get there timing chips yet?
    From what I gather the letter I got a couple of weeks ago said to contact them if you haven't received your timing chip/number in the post by 2nd Dec (tomorrow)

Correct me if I'm wrong thou!
    I haven't received mine yet anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

keith123 wrote: »
    Anyone get there timing chips yet?
    From what I gather the letter I got a couple of weeks ago said to contact them if you haven't received your timing chip/number in the post by 2nd Dec (tomorrow)

Correct me if I'm wrong thou!
    I haven't received mine yet anyway...

Haven't got timing chips yet, and the letter does say to contact them after Dec 2nd.
    Maybe all the chips are going in the post this evening? Thanks for the reminder probably best if we email them tomorrow if the chips don't arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Marthastew wrote: »
    Haven't got timing chips yet, and the letter does say to contact them after Dec 2nd.
    Maybe all the chips are going in the post this evening? Thanks for the reminder probably best if we email them tomorrow if the chips don't arrive.

It now says on the website:

How will I get my race pack?
    Once you've registered, we will post out your race pack to you. We'll give details of how to collect your race number and timing chip closer to the event.

Looks like you have to collect them which I believe would be consistent with how it operated in previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Trampas

trying to register there but falling over on the payment page.

anyone else having this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

It now says on the website:

How will I get my race pack?
    Once you've registered, we will post out your race pack to you. We'll give details of how to collect your race number and timing chip closer to the event.

Looks like you have to collect them which I believe would be consistent with how it operated in previous years.

I emailed them and got this lovely reply...

The race numbers have not been sent out yet. You should receive them early next week.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Marthastew wrote: »
    I emailed them and got this lovely reply...

The race numbers have not been sent out yet. You should receive them early next week.

Thanks

I had issues with them last year getting chip etc. Race postponed till January. Pretty much snowed in most of Xmas. Asked them could they post it out. No can only pick up during office hours. I offered to pay for the postage as they were going on about costs and still wouldn't post it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭daymobrew

pistol_75 wrote: »
    I offered to pay for the postage as they were going on about costs and still wouldn't post it out.
    I think that they are concerned about timing chips getting lost and the subsequent cost of replacing them. Other organisers (clubs and charities) do not seem to be bothered by this risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

I don't think they should of bothered with timing chips because it's not a 10km race any more! The majority of people won't be going for any PBs especially in December's cold weather. I wouldn't be surprised if they decided not to go with them in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

daymobrew wrote: »
    I think that they are concerned about timing chips getting lost and the subsequent cost of replacing them. Other organisers (clubs and charities) do not seem to be bothered by this risk.

They were posting them out if your address was outside Dublin :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

keith123 wrote: »
    I don't think they should of bothered with timing chips because it's not a 10km race any more! The majority of people won't be going for any PBs especially in December's cold weather. I wouldn't be surprised if they decided not to go with them in the end.

I was going for a 10k PB, but now I'll be going for a 5 mile PB (especially since my current one is pretty soft!) Chip timing isn't the only way to do things, but I would still expect my time to be accurately measured regardless of the conditions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭marchino

pistol_75 wrote: »
    They were posting them out if your address was outside Dublin :rolleyes:

Good! hopefully i will get it next week so..

Advertisement