Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aware 5 miler 10/12/2011

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭daymobrew

macinalli wrote: »
    but I would still expect my time to be accurately measured regardless of the conditions
    I have a stopwatch. It's accurate and works in all conditions. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Anyone get there timing chip or number for this race!

I haven't received anything and I live outside Dublin (tag are to be posted for people outside Dublin).

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭marchino

keith123 wrote: »
    Anyone get there timing chip or number for this race!

I haven't received anything and I live outside Dublin (tag are to be posted for people outside Dublin).

I got my number today in the post.
    I registered early though but, the chip seems to be on my number (at the back).
    Is this the same with everyone??

i was expecting chip to seperate from number and put through laces..
    a lot handier this way though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I got mine today also (Dublin).

The chips are the back-of-number, RFID type which means we will likely be running under a gantry at the start and finish of the race.

OK I'm heading home now! Hopefully it'll be there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭emco

Only two days to go! Are big numbers expected for this does anyone know?

I nearly got knocked over with the crazy winds in the refixed 2010 race in January, looks like a similar story this year! People who did it last time (the wimpy ones!) might be scared off from doing it again. Hopefully not this guy though www.racepix.com/aware2010/racephotos/448/photo/68/

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bart simpson

can anyone give some info on the course profile?
    christmas_5mile_map_960.jpg

emco wrote: »
    People who did it last time (the wimpy ones!) might be scared off from doing it again. Hopefully not this guy though www.racepix.com/aware2010/racephotos/448/photo/68/

Your wan beside him looks throughly disgusted!!

Mile 1 is mostly along Acres Road and slightly on Kyber Rd. Acres Rd will be slightly uphill and very exposed. As you turn down Kyber it will be more sheltered and downhill all the way to the turn right and up Millitary Hill which is a 200-300m steepish uphill. Once you crest the hill there are two 'S'-Bends before you go down a slight hill to the lowest point on the course. At this stage you hit approx half way. The Glen Road is a long hill on a reasonable gradient which will become tough near the top if you have gone out too fast. The next 500m are slightly uphill inclined which means you may struggle to recover from any oxygen defecit issues, however once you hit the Furze Road there is about 1.5 miles to go til the end of thich it is all either flat or slightly downhill.
    Overall, a tough course for a 5 miler in my opinion and little likelihood of many PBs.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

+1 to what Belcarra said, I think the middle 3rd of the race will be quite tough. Acres Rd is flat and the Kyber is a serious downhill. Military road is a steep uphill (but short), and when you crest the top of it you will probably have a tough breeze against you - it's exposed and the current wind direction will make this hard. However once you go through the S bends and turn on to the Furze Rd then Chesterfield, it's all easy. You'll be downhill, with the wind at your back - should be a fast finish.

• Advertisement

macinalli wrote: »
    +1 to what Belcarra said, I think the middle 3rd of the race will be quite tough. Acres Rd is flat and the Kyber is a serious downhill. Military road is a steep uphill (but short), and when you crest the top of it you will probably have a tough breeze against you - it's exposed and the current wind direction will make this hard. However once you go through the S bends and turn on to the Furze Rd then Chesterfield, it's all easy. You'll be downhill, with the wind at your back - should be a fast finish.

Spot on - I did the route last Saturday and the wind hit at the top of military road pretty much till I got down to Furze Road.

keith123 wrote: »
    Spot on - I did the route last Saturday and the wind hit at the top of military road pretty much till I got down to Furze Road.

Yeah thats was the worst spot in last years race where we turned off acres road to glen road at the top of military road. The wind just hit everyone like a brick wall when we turned there, in similar wind to this week. If its blowing the same there should be a fantastic wind in the back on Furze road though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Great morning. Freezing cold - never been as cold before a race before. Feet didn't thaw out until at least mile 4. Better course than I expected - thought it would be steeper. Broke 40 for the first time ever - 39:47. Absolutely chuffed!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Just back from this one - thought it was an enjoyable race, although the course left a lot to be desired. We started on a small path that was less than 4 metres wide which seemed nuts for an expected turnout of 2000. The starting mat was also the same width so everyone had to funnel into a small section to make sure to get their chips logged. As well as that, the bootcamp gang had set up one of their trademark warm-up shows, except this time they were doing it on the start line! This meant that when the race started there were loads of fun-runners at the head of the field, on a narrow path with a sharp right turn after 100 metres - mayhem!

Once we got started the route itself was fine; tough (as expected) but the wind was mild so we got off pretty light. My biggest gripe was that when we finished, the baggage tent was 1km away back towards the start line. Not good when it's freezing cold and you want to wrap up quickly. At the Jingle Bells last week Donore had a smaller crowd (still over 1000) but used a Hiace van as a baggage tent and this was waiting at the finish line. Easy to do, and makes a big difference to a cold runner. Finally, do we really need a medal for a 5mile race? IMO Aware would do better scrapping the medals and buying lots of bananas!

Aware get lots of kudos for running this event every year; there's a good atmosphere and they're a great charity to support. But if any of the running clubs ran a race in the same way they'd be slaughtered on this forum. Most of the points above are small, but they can make a big difference on the day. And in spite of it all, I'll probably do the race again next year!

Almost forgot, finished in 33.28 - a 2 minute PB. What a great race!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

racheljev wrote: »
    Broke 40 for the first time ever - 39:47. Absolutely chuffed!:)

Congrats! Great running!

I enjoyed the race this morning; the course was typical enough for the park - a few ups and downs. The freezing cold headwind in the last 200m or so was a bit of a shock and killed my "sprint" finish, but overall it was a nice final race of 2012 for me.

Good to see so many of all abilities out supporting a good cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

I'd echo that racheljev, was freezing out there.
    Knew I wasn't going to better my 38:2x odd time from 5 miler in the summer as course profile and weather was on my side that day.
    Aim today was to try to keep everything to 8:00 or under, went a bit flat in the middle but recovered in the end...
    Nice route and could prove to be a fast one on a calm day in the future.

Splits:
    M1: 7:30
    M2: 7:45
    M3: 7:57
    M4: 8:00
    M5: 7:24
    .05: 0:19
    38:55

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

For once I was selfish enough to start near the front amongst the Boot Camp crew - why oh why did the set up there?

Anyway - didn't impact me given where I started.

Finished in 33:10 - a minute quicker than the Irish Runner 5 Mile so happy with that. Would have been a few seconds quicker only for the outrageously tight turn into the finishing straight (I notice most people cut the corner later in the race)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Any word on who won and in what time?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

Enjoyable race, it was a bit congested at the start but apart from that no complaints. It was freezing waiting for the start but once you got moving it was fine. They had a good turnout, there seemed to be a lot of people registering on the day. Had the course bang on 5miles.

Agree with a previous poster about the medals but preferred the baggage tent at the start as you didn't have to get changed till the last minute but as a result didn't hang round to long at the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Trampas

My 1st race after only starting running in September and did it in 43.39 I was hoping to beat 45mins.

Didn't suffer for the pace I thought I would. Ran further but not faster. Start was a bit messy alright and was my slowness km as myself and load of others had to move left and right to get by people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭earlyevening

I agree.

The narrow start was a mess and it was crazy that the baggage area was a 1km from the finish. Equally the medal wasn't really well earned.

32:05 for me. 3 months ago I would have thought I could have gone sub 30 for a 5 miler. I've been taking it too easy lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Thought it was freezing this morning. The 15 min delay didn't help but once I got going, I warmed up pretty quickly. The start was a bit messy but once I got around thefirst corner it thinned out pretty quickly and it was nice to run
    on the grass. I think I paced myself fairly well so was able to really push for the
    last mile.
    42.33 on my watch which is a PB for me so overall I'm delighted!

Very good race, always a good atmosphere at this. The narrow start area was due to so much of the park dug up at the moment, and the gardai ordered the delay due to the frost, so neither is down to Aware, i'd say that made it alot tougher logistically.

32.25, this time last year I was pushing the half hour but im happy with it havent been doing alot.

I agree with posters about post race, could do with some fruit or something at all to nibble on. I have no interest in medals purely for taking part either either, but in charity fun runs alot of people are running as a once off or dont run races regularly so a medal probably is the best thing for someone who doesn't really race. The mug as a souvenir last week in the Jingle Bells was a great idea, and technical T-shirts are handy.

Overall its an A1 Sharon for Aware from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dowlinj

The results are in...

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Fitzilicious

Hey, anyone know if there are any pictures floating around from the race?
    Cheers :D

Advertisement