Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finland's baby boxes.

Options
  • 07-10-2011 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭

Finland has a very low birth rate and as a result they do their best to encourage women to have kid and to try and to take the economic pressure less on anyone who is in a crises pregnancy. They do this by sending the mother to be a baby box.

http://www.etsy.com/blog/en/2011/noted-finlands-baby-boxes/?ref=fp_blog_post
    In Finland, one of the greatest gifts an expecting mother receives is not from a friend or loved one — it comes from the government. Commonly referred to as a “baby box,” the Finnish government sends every mother a collection of basic needs for a baby’s first year, packaged inside a box that even doubles as an infant’s bed. What’s more, if a mother chooses to buy her own baby gear, the government provides grant money instead of the baby box. Not only is this public benefit essential for mothers who may find themselves unprepared financially, but it is also a positive encouragement from the government, giving a sense of security to a woman who may really need it.

Regina Yunghans of Odeedoh recently pointed to a post over on Mothering.com, in which Michele Simeon, a new American mother living in Finland, shares her experience of welcoming a baby into a foreign country. After learning about Finland’s baby boxes, Simeon eagerly awaited the delivery: “I pounced on my daughter Hilla’s baby box like it was the biggest, best Christmas present I’d ever received — that is, after hauling it uphill during a heat wave, eight months of pregnant belly weighing me down.” Filled with breast pads for mom, bibs, snowsuits and towels, Hilla was well-prepared for her first 6-months, including the harsh, impending winter. Though she outgrew many of the items by the time she was seven months old, Hilla grew into other outfits, and continued to make use of the box’s contents on a daily basis. An inventory of the 2010 baby box can be found here.

I can’t help but be a little jealous of Finnish parents, not just because they get a free box of cool goodies, but that their government greets every one of its new citizens with a gift that symbolizes a commitment toward its future leaders. “While the box alone cannot create material equality for all babies born in [Finland], it is only one of many benefits designed to give children a good, fair start to life,” explains Simeon.

For a new parent, such a vote of confidence from the government can do wonders in maintaining a positive attitude in child rearing. When I look around my own community, I do observe many public benefits for children, but nothing quite as unique as the baby box. Would such a gift from the government translate to other countries, and if so, what would it look like?

The boxes are seasonal so if your due your baby in June you get different clothes then if the baby is due in December. It even has a mattress, blankets sheets, towels in it, and if you opt to not get the box you can get a grant to cover money you have spent back.

More on what was in one of the boxes here.
    http://kela.fi/in/internet/english.nsf/NET/180408150632HS?OpenDocument

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

My kids primary school used to do something simailar, the xmas box appeal, I dont think they do it anymore which is a shame.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I love it and think it is a great idea and wish they had more non monetary benefits in Ireland.
    Our childrens allowance here is a lot higher though.

http://www.kela.fi/in/internet/english.nsf/NET/231101154958EH?OpenDocument

Amount of Child Benefit, € / month
    1st child 100.40
    2nd child 110.94
    3rd child 141.56
    4th child 162.15
    5th child and more 182.73

Lone parents get an increase of EUR 46.79 per month for each child.

I forgot about their child care -
    http://www.kela.fi/in/internet/english.nsf/NET/081101131410EH?OpenDocument
    wish we had similar!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

If a couple is not financially capable of providing for a baby's needs, then they shouldn't be having one.

It's a nice gift, but I don't see why the taxpayer should have to shell out every time a couple/woman wants to pop one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

If a couple is not financially capable of providing for a baby's needs, then they shouldn't be having one.

It's a nice gift, but I don't see why the taxpayer should have to shell out every time a couple/woman wants to pop one out.

They have a really low birth rate. If they don't encourage women to have kids, then there will be no taxpayers!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Well in Finland it's to encourage citizens to make some more tax payers!

• Advertisement

Its not a perfect world. Babies are conceived all the time to parents who cant afford them that does not mean that they cant be brought up perfectly well with the support and help of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I love that it comes with condoms...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

They have a really low birth rate. If they don't encourage women to have kids, then there will be no taxpayers!

They've got a low birth rate not a low population. Foreigners who come to Finland to work are also taxpayers, I guess the government thinks the right sort of people aren't reproducing

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

Justask wrote: »
    My kids primary school used to do something simailar, the xmas box appeal, I dont think they do it anymore which is a shame.

Thats completely different to what the Goverment in Findland send out. The xmas box appeal is for charity, this is for all expected parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Do you know what I like about that idea, its a symbol that the baby is welcome in to Finnish society and that the state will support you and after reading some of the replies to a thread about a mother of a special needs child ( on AH ). Its nice to read something like this.

• Advertisement

reeta wrote: »
    Thats completely different to what the Goverment in Findland send out. The xmas box appeal is for charity, this is for all expected parents.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Demonique wrote: »
    They've got a low birth rate not a low population. Foreigners who come to Finland to work are also taxpayers, I guess the government thinks the right sort of people aren't reproducing

I presume that ALL expectant parents get this box, not just the native Finnish ones. A low birth rate refers to all children being born, not just native Finnish people. I don't see what the immigrant percentage of the population has to do with it.

Advertisement