Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with sed

Options
  • 07-10-2011 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have written a bash script that uses sed to convert a CSV file to html table elements. (It is an export from Tournament Director that I publish on our poker website).

The script is as follows
    #!/usr/bin/bash
    for file in $(ls *.csv)
    do
        sed -e "s/,/<\/td><td>/g" $file > $file.tmp
        sed -e "s/\(.*\)$/<tr><td class=\"numeric\">\1<\/td><\/tr>/g" $file.tmp > $file
    done
    /usr/bin/rm *.tmp

So all it does is scans the directory for .csv files and in each one, it replaces , with </td><td> and then replaces the start and end of the line with some other info.

The script works fine except for 2 small bugs, one serious enough, the other just an annoyance

1) The last line is not output to the file
    2) there is a newline character at the end of every line so the last <\td><\tr> is on the next line of the file.

Now issue two is something I can live with, but issue 1 is serious enough as the league table is always missing the last person.

example data
    #,First Name,Last Name,Points,Buy-ins,Hits,Final Tables
    1,Stan,Smith,303.00,10,13,6
    2,Francine,Smith,291.00,10,11,5
    3,Hayley,Smith,284.00,10,20,7
    4,Steve,Smith,277.00,9,17,3
    5,Roger,Smith,255.00,10,5,5
    6,Klaus,Smith,254.00,9,16,4

example output
    <tr><td class="numeric">#</td><td>First Name</td><td>Last Name</td><td>Points</td><td>Buy-ins</td><td>Hits</td><td>Final Tables
    </td></tr>
    <tr><td class="numeric">1</td><td>Stan</td><td>Smith</td><td>303.00</td><td>10</td><td>13</td><td>6
    </td></tr>
    <tr><td class="numeric">2</td><td>Francine</td><td>Smith</td><td>291.00</td><td>10</td><td>11</td><td>5
    </td></tr>
    <tr><td class="numeric">3</td><td>Hayley</td><td>Smith</td><td>284.00</td><td>10</td><td>20</td><td>7
    </td></tr>
    <tr><td class="numeric">4</td><td>Steve</td><td>Smith</td><td>277.00</td><td>9</td><td>17</td><td>3
    </td></tr>
    <tr><td class="numeric">5</td><td>Roger</td><td>Smith</td><td>255.00</td><td>10</td><td>5</td><td>5
    </td></tr>

Can anybody spot the obvious problem that I just can't see.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

I just ran your script against your example CSV data and I got this (using Cygwin, mind you):

[HTML]
    <tr><td class="numeric">#</td><td>First Name</td><td>Last Name</td><td>Points</td><td>Buy-ins</td><td>Hits</td><td>Final Tables</td></tr>
    <tr><td class="numeric">1</td><td>Stan</td><td>Smith</td><td>303.00</td><td>10</td><td>13</td><td>6</td></tr>
    <tr><td class="numeric">2</td><td>Francine</td><td>Smith</td><td>291.00</td><td>10</td><td>11</td><td>5</td></tr>
    <tr><td class="numeric">3</td><td>Hayley</td><td>Smith</td><td>284.00</td><td>10</td><td>20</td><td>7</td></tr>
    <tr><td class="numeric">4</td><td>Steve</td><td>Smith</td><td>277.00</td><td>9</td><td>17</td><td>3</td></tr>
    <tr><td class="numeric">5</td><td>Roger</td><td>Smith</td><td>255.00</td><td>10</td><td>5</td><td>5</td></tr>
    <tr><td class="numeric">6</td><td>Klaus</td><td>Smith</td><td>254.00</td><td>9</td><td>16</td><td>4</td></tr>
    [/HTML]

Which doesn't seem to display either of the issues you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Damn,
    I am running it on Solaris. Don't know if that makes a difference.
    nice to know though that there is nothing obviously wrong with the script. Must try it on some other shell maybe
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭carveone

I think the issue is with .*$ which will match the line feed too. Although I cannot see why that would affect it unless there's a bug in Solaris sed (very possible!).

Perhaps matching the [\r\n] at the end would help (I don't have sed on this machine right now so I can't help more!) Plus you can do this all in one line you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭carveone

I'll add that when I used Solaris, sed was old and crufty and I threw in the towel often and used awk.
    #!/usr/bin/bash
    for file in $(ls *.csv)
    do
        awk '{gsub(/,/, "</td><td>");print "<tr><td class=\"numeric\">$0</td></tr>"}' $file > $file.tmp
        mv $file.tmp $file
    done

or something... Even ex would do if you can figure it out....

Advertisement