Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding firewire to PC

Options
  • 07-10-2011 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

I'd like to put a firewire port into my new PC so that I can transfer videos from my Sony Handycam. I have a HP Pavillion G5410uk running Windows 7. I've never done this before so I have no clue what kind to get - or even if there are different kinds for different PCs.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction? I've searched on Google and all indications suggest that it's an easy job but nowhere can I see what would fit my particular PC - maybe they're universal? Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Depending on what slots are free on the motherboard would need either a PCI or PCIe X1 firewire card.

I can't find a manual for that desktops motherboard so you will probably need to pop open a case and check yourself, it is quite likely that both slots are available and if so it doesn't really matter too much which type you choose. Installation is simple, just switch off and open the case, pop it in the slot, and secure it to the case with a screw and then install any drivers.

EDIT: This pic is handy if you are unsure.

5973d1244135398-tv-card-looks-wrong-pci-express-x16-slot-pci-slots.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭mw3guc

Thanks for that. I have the manual on the PC itself. Is there anywhere there that I could look for confirmation? Sorry for the hassle, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for in it.
    I was hoping to only have to disconnect the cables and open it up once :o I had to get the OH to drill holes in my desk for the snakes nest of cables and plugs for all my attachments and the sweat is still on us from getting it all sorted last weekend. I can just imagine the response I'd get if I suggest undoing it all again, not to mention the possibility of another effort when I get the firewire.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

mw3guc wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I have the manual on the PC itself. Is there anywhere there that I could look for confirmation? Sorry for the hassle, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for in it.
    I was hoping to only have to disconnect the cables and open it up once :o I had to get the OH to drill holes in my desk for the snakes nest of cables and plugs for all my attachments and the sweat is still on us from getting it all sorted last weekend. I can just imagine the response I'd get if I suggest undoing it all again, not to mention the possibility of another effort when I get the firewire.

There may be a chart in the manual with the motherboard layout?

I would be amazed if there wasn't at least one or two spare PCI slots in there, but it is probably best to check just in case. :)

This is what I found with the online help function for the motherboard (Expansion Slots) in my PC:
    • One PCI Express x16
    • Two PCI Express x1
    • One PCI
    • One PCI Express x1 minicard socket
    So ... does this mean I can buy either of those cards you mentioned? And which type would you recommend, bearing in mind my novice level and the use I require (Sony Handycam and an iLink cable). Many thanks for your help - much appreciated :)

Really doesn't matter which type, one is as easy to install as the other and both can handle bandwiths much higher than firewire transfer speeds so performance ought to be about the same.

Do you know if the Handycam uses Firewire 800 (FW800) or Firewire 400 (FW800)? Firewire 800 cards are quite a bit more expensive, but if the camera supports FW800 the transfers will be faster. On the other hand FW400 cards are much cheaper.

Both are compatible so you can attach a FW400 device to an FW800 port and vice versa, but the transfer will operate at the slower FW400 speeds.

If the camera supports FW800 would be up to you as to whether the extra cost of an FW 800 cards would be worth it.

I'd be inclined to go with a cheaper FW 400 card like this TBH, unless you are transferring absolutely massive videos.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PCI-FIREWIRE-400-CARD-INSTRUMENTS/dp/B002UOSI3U/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1318002680&sr=8-10

• Advertisement

That 400 one looks perfect :) It's an older camcorder, so I'm pretty sure the 400 is right. The videos I have are just home clips, so nothing major - I just thought I'd archive the content from the mounds of DV tapes stuck in a drawer. I have the cable already - I think I must have had plans for this in the past when I had a Sony Vaio laptop (now defunct). Many thanks again for your help.

Advertisement