Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traditional Irish Food

Options
  • 07-10-2011 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi Guys

Hope you can help me.

Next week in work, we have to cook a savory/sweet dish from our home country. I dont really want to do coddle or stew etc and was trying to think of a nice Irish Traditional Cake/Dessert?

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    RG x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

How about Porter Cake?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

The only other thing I can think of is a cake with Bailey's in it, like a Bailey's Cheesecake.

Porter Cake sounds like a very good idea ^

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

chocolate porter cake with baileys cream cheese iceing.

http://annies-eats.net/2009/10/16/guinness-baileys-cupcakes/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

How about apple pie. That is far more traditional.

Cheesecake is not remotely Irish, and Baileys was invented in 1974 so it
    cant really be described as traditional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Yes the Baileys was pushing the traditional boundaries a little:D, OP where are you based so we then might have an idea of what ingredients you can lay your hands on?

Carrageen Moss Pudding is traditional enough Irish dessert, plenty of variations online if you google it.

• Advertisement

I had a few more thoughts

Tea brack
    Summer pudding
    Gingerbread

I agree with the last post. If you are not based in Ireland, it will be very dependent on ingredient availability.

If you are in Europe, and can get autumn fruits which would be available in Ireland, there are plenty of traditional desserts you can make.

If you do want to do a savoury dish, potato cakes might be a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 DubDubStep

I'd say go with Irish Coffee Gateaux. Looks and tastes good, and it's not that hard to prepare. I made it once with success.

Preparation Time: 30 minutes
    Cooking TIme: 45 minutes & Overnight
    Level of Difficulty: Easy

Ingredients

4oz plain flour
    1.5 teaspoon baking powder
    6oz castor sugar
    pinch salt
    3 tablespoon oil (sunflower etc)
    3eggs (separated)
    1 level tablespoon nescafe disolved in 3 tablespoons boiling water
    2oz box irish coffee chocolate-melted gently.
    i just use good quality dark chocolate
    quarter teaspoon cream of tartar
    for the syrup:
    3oz granulated sugar
    quarter pint of water
    1 tablespoon nescafe
    2tablespoons whiskey
    to serve:
    cream,
    chocolate shavings etc
    Method

Sieve the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into bowl. Make a well in the centre, and into it put the oil and egg yolks. Blend the dissolved nescafe with the melted chocolate- if the chocolate has been over-melted it will burn when you add the hot coffee mix-hence its very important not to over melt the chocoltae initially.
    Pour the nescafe/chocolate mexture on to the egg yolks. mix lightly, gradually beating to a smooth batter Meanwhile whisk the egg whites with the cream of tartar, and fold lightly into the 'batter' Pour into an Angel Cake tin (ie one with a hole in centre tp make a donut shaped cake)
    Cook for 40mins at 170 degrees celcius When cooked leave it to cool in its tin.
    Make the syrup by dissolving the sugar and nescafe in water over heat. Stir in the whiskey-add prob more than 2 Table-spoons sprinkle this over the cake, when cold, and allow it to soak in overnight.
    *sometimes i think it needs double the syrup-this will make the cake very moist, but yummie
    * Turn it out and cover with cream to serve Sprinkle chocolate shavings/ground almonds on top. enjoy

Source of this recipe:Irish Coffee Gateaux By Carmel Byrne

• Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

huskerdu wrote: »
    How about apple pie. That is far more traditional.

Cheesecake is not remotely Irish, and Baileys was invented in 1974 so it
    cant really be described as traditional.

I agree that cheesecake isn't irish, and bailey isn't traditional.
    But apple pie isn't irish in anyshape or form. English, french, dutch, (and therefore to america) prehaps, but not irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Fish, we are an island surrounded by an abundance of fish.

Salmon features in our mythology.

Here's a recipe.

1 Salmon
    1 Hot pan

Put Salmon in pan
    burn thumb
    lick thumb
    become the brainiest person on the island

Mellor wrote: »
    I agree that cheesecake isn't irish, and bailey isn't traditional.
    But apple pie isn't irish in anyshape or form. English, french, dutch, (and therefore to america) prehaps, but not irish.

You can argue the toss on this one for ever, but apples have been growing in this country for a long time, and my granny has been making apple pie and apple tart all her life and she was taught how to by her mother. That is good enough for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

My granny makes a mean tikka masala ;)

For savoury dishes, the choices are much better -

Irish Stew
    Colcannon
    Boxty
    An ulster fry?
    Bacon/ corned beef & Cabbage
    Corned beef hash (Irish-American maybe)
    Coddle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

In the west of Ireland, a few decades ago, and aunt of mine used treat us at Christmas with what was called a "dumpling" known as suet pudding or clootie dumpling in Scotland. Google is your recipe finder.

Whilst it's not of Irish origin, it's certainly a traditional dish in parts of Mayo & Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

How about scones.
    Very simple to make and I would have thought traditional?

Advertisement