Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Heroin!

Options
  • 07-10-2011 4:31pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Having been away for a while, I was a bit taken aback by the front page of ths weeks Galway Independent, where Cllr. Frank Fahy (the other one, the one who's currently a taxi driver) had received "worrying" reports of free heroin being doled out in certain estates.

Naturally, I was shocked into submission, and being white and middle class, I've decided to take it up with the internets.

Well, where is it or is it one of those myths of the chattering classes like the "heroin laced" hash which was being sold to children of respectable families a few years ago (but for the same price mind).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Well if a councillor in Galway says it then it must be true!

But seeing that he's also a taxi driver this statement should be treated as though it was the word of God.

And it was also in the Galway Independent, that paper makes the Advertiser look like the Sunday Times.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Gee Bag wrote: »
    Well if a councillor in Galway says it then it must be true!

But seeing that he's also a taxi driver this statement should be treated as though it was the word of God.
    That's my thinking, and if it gets mentioned in those winsome article-ettes inside the front cover of the Sentinel, it's the holy Trinity completed.

Robbo wrote: »
    That's my thinking, and if it gets mentioned in those winsome article-ettes inside the front cover of the Sentinel, it's the holy Trinity completed.

We should head down to the next Novena and find out wht the word on the street is..........

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Ha. Sounds too good to be true.

I'll bet there's some kind of catch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

When the Cllr McNeilis objected to this line of thought that it would be discouraging parents sending students to Galway..The response from Cllr. Fahy was "I'm out and about at 3am and see what's going on when Cllr. McNeilis is tucked up in bed"

It also came up at the JPC on monday and in fairness the Garda stated they were aware of the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

it was on the front page of the sentinel as well on tuesday - http://www.galwaynews.ie/21903-heroin-being-given-out-free-some-city-suburbs

snubbleste wrote: »
    I'm out and about at 3am and see what's going on "

Translation for broadcasting on Liveline "I'm a taxi driver Joe, I know things Joe, I see things Joe, all taxi drivers have super powers Joe"

I call shenanigans on the whole story!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Sounds like rubbish.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Mr_A wrote: »
    Ha. Sounds too good to be true.

I'll bet there's some kind of catch.

What, a catch like being addicted to heroin you mean?

Unfortunately there is a kernel of truth here. I wouldn't have believed it either. :(

It's a bastard of a drug, I hope none of you ever have it come close to home, wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Das Kitty wrote: »
    It's a bastard of a drug, I hope none of you ever have it come close to home, wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

So true. While it's not as immediately physically addictive as people think, users report that you'll wake up one day to find your harmless 'habit' turned into something that you *must* have in order to stop horrible pain. Getting off it is hard and horrible. Wrecks lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Frank Fahey drives a taxi now?? Am i getting this right?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

barryd09 wrote: »
    Frank Fahey drives a taxi now?? Am i getting this right?

Fine Gael Frank Fahey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Aaah i was thinking it was hardly frank 40 houses fahey!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

they used to give out free ecstasy in the castle in salthill years ago. a tablet each as we walked in the door.

i never fully understood the business plan mind

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

A few people from the area who collect wood shavings from my workshop confirmed it's very true.:mad:

McTigs wrote: »
    they used to give out free ecstasy in the castle in salthill years ago. a tablet each as we walked in the door.

Did they? I was in the Castle all the time and I never once heard of any one getting free yokes. Thet were still about £15-20 when the Castle was open.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Was the water turned off in the toilets as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Robbo wrote: »
    ... is it one of those myths of the chattering classes ...

charlemont wrote: »
    Sounds like rubbish.

What's rubbish?

The claim that heroin might be given out free?

Or that heroin might be given out free in Galway City?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lookinbusy

HORSESH!t!

lookinbusy wrote: »
    HORSESH!t!

I don't think that's illegal. :D

• Advertisement

I call shenanigans on the whole story!

Why?

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Why?

Because it's clearly a load of auld rubbish. It's the typical urban myth that keeps nice middle class parents awake at night.

Mr. Big in Galway is giving away thousands of euros worth of free heroin to youngsters on the off chance that some of them will get hooked?

Why not just sell it to the army of junkies already knocking around town?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

"Free heroin!" roared Frank Fahy as he plunged the needle into his arm. He then went out for free pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Frank Fahy is bloody useless and I don't expect him to do anything but give out.

On Heroin, the city doesn't have a bad drug problem in comparison to others its size so the gardaí should get up off their arse and make sure we don't fall down these cracks if the myth is true or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

Sounds like horseshiz to me too, theres a recession on and the last thing ****ty small time Galway drug dealers can afford to do is give out free heroin even if it is the notorious first times free !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Because it's clearly a load of auld rubbish. It's the typical urban myth that keeps nice middle class parents awake at night.

Mr. Big in Galway is giving away thousands of euros worth of free heroin to youngsters on the off chance that some of them will get hooked?

Well it's pretty simple. By giving out free heroin he creates a new wave of customers which in turn enlarges his customer base creating a much greater revenue in the long term. Look into dealer's practices, it's not the first time this has been done. Many of them are pretty smart.

RMD wrote: »
    Well it's pretty simple. By giving out free heroin he creates a new wave of customers which in turn enlarges his customer base creating a much greater revenue in the long term. Look into dealer's practices, it's not the first time this has been done. Many of them are pretty smart.

Not to mention the prices are apparently down, so scumbag dealer needs as many new customers as possible.

RMD wrote: »

I get the basic concept behind the story. I just think the whole thing is bullsh1t. Heroin is not instantly addictive.

How does one look into dealer's practices in Galway? Do they have a website?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

lookinbusy wrote: »
    HORSESH!t!
    of course it's horsesh!t, but that didn't stop the local sargeant in salthill going on the radio at the time saying that's exactly what was happening.

free heroin in doughiska? maybe, maybe not but i wouldn't take a taxi driving councilors word for it either way

• Advertisement

Urban myth?

Evidence please, demonstrating that this "myth" has been debunked, that the Garda Chief Supt is wrong, and that the distribution of free bags of heroin has never been a feature of drug dealers' activities in this country.

While you're at it, please also provide evidence that there's an "army of junkies" in Galway City. Are you talking hundreds or thousands, and what authoritative source can you point to that backs up your claim?

Otherwise, to be honest, you'll just look like one of those taxi drivers pretending to know everything.

-Vega- wrote: »
    Sounds like horseshiz to me too, theres a recession on and the last thing ****ty small time Galway drug dealers can afford to do is give out free heroin even if it is the notorious first times free !

of course it's horsesh!t, but that didn't stop the local sargeant in salthill going on the radio at the time saying that's exactly what was happening.

free heroin in doughiska? maybe, maybe not but i wouldn't take a taxi driving councilors word for it either way

How do you know? Are you claiming this kind of thing never happens, or just that it hasn't happened in Galway City to date?

Advertisement