Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Heroin!

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

ScumLord wrote: »
    The Greeks used to get high on psychedelics before political debate, their entire government was run and developed by people under the influence of drugs. Drugs use and benefits has been high jacked by the Christian faith who saw it as a challenge to their control of gods power.

That may be true for psychedelics, cacti, weed etc, but that is by not the case for all 'drugs'. I agree that government prohibition needs to be looked at for all drugs though, even just in terms of crime reduction, but as other posters have said, this deserves a thread all of its own.

Talk to someone on the street who takes heroin. Ask them why they take it every day. They will likely tell you that they took it initially 'to get out of it' - heroin is an escapist high, rather than an 'enlightening' high. It makes the user apathetic as opposed to inspired. It's like taking a break from life, sometimes a sh*tty life. They will tell you that now this no longer works, and that they now longer get this from the drug, now they take it each day so they simply won't get 'sick'. Getting 'sick' is not a good thing.

I'm talking about IV use for the above, but snorting/smoking can also be a path (albeit slightly longer path) to the above end result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

ScumLord wrote: »
    But it's true, these kind of articles are the part of prohibition that promote drug use. Most people aren't going to be even thinking about heroin until Frank Fahy comes screaming "free heroin" at them. The anti drugs side do more to promote drugs than any drug dealer.

Drugs have always been a huge part of human culture and more than likely lead to human spirituality. Drugs where always how humans spoke to and came to understand god and the universe, they opened our minds.

The Greeks used to get high on psychedelics before political debate, their entire government was run and developed by people under the influence of drugs. Drugs use and benefits has been high jacked by the Christian faith who saw it as a challenge to their control of gods power.

Would you say that articles about the harm caused by alcohol prompt more boozing than the widespread availability and social acceptability of alcohol coupled with vast amounts of alcohol advertising?

Would you say this heroin user had many uplifting spiritual experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭aquaman

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    1. According to the World Drug Report 2011, Ireland has the highest mortality rate from drug misuse, the sixth highest level of heroin consumption and one of the highest street prices for heroin in Europe (€145 per gramme in 2009 compared to the average of €50).

2. Heroin's devastating effects don't stop some users switching to the needle. I know one former addict who talked about a friend of his with severe abscesses and other horrific damage from heroin begging him not to end up the same way, even showing him the lesions to try to scare him off. He went ahead and started injecting anyway.

3. IIRC nobody in this thread claimed that there were drug pushers at the school gates.

4. What myths? The free samples phenomenon is not a myth. Hysterical claims about the nature, extent and implications of free samples in any given location might be a different story.

5. There is very little point in relying on pure opinion when discussing complex issues like drug use and dependence.

6. What is the evidence that drug use is encouraged in the manner you describe?

You can buy a small bag of heroin for €10

Now if someone decides to try heorin for the first time do you think that they are contemplating the future cost of their addiction or and the fact that at some point in the future it may cost them €145/ gramme?

I propose that they are contemplating the cost of this first hit and are in the mood for experimenting and whether it's a tenner or free makes very little difference..

However, if we have a person who is averse to trying heroin due to it's well documented, extreme negative effects to (most) users (I am not denying these effects in any way), as is the case with most of society including the majority of other poly drug users, the fact that the heroin is free rather than €10 is irrelevant.

Ergo. there is no financial or any other type of logic in a dealer handing out what is a valueable commodity for free when if it increases sales it will be in the vast majority to existing users.

Some things just cannot be proved with internet links. (Research into drug use is sketchy at best, mainly due to the fact that usually studies are carried out on users who present for treatment, thereby squewing results to the negative.)
    I am telling you how it is on the street. I personally know a small number of heroin addicts, generally former schoolmates and friends of friends (I come from a small town) and personally know many users of other drugs.

This handing out of free samples to get new users hooked myth does not happen.. Any dealer who carries out this practice will not be in business very long.
    Trying a new drug, particularly one as serious as herion is usally a personal choice which is given contemplation by the person involved. This is why €10 will not be the deciding factor in this decission.

All that said, it is common that first use of drugs for most users is free. But supplied for free from someone who has nothing to gain financially from the supply ie. a friend/aquaintence (this is most likely the source of the free drugs to get you hooked myth)

Advertisement