Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pokemon, Meowth, is called Nyasu in Japan. Source of the excerpt??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I don't know the book, but I do know that Meowth is actually known as ニャース (Nyarth), so I guess they must have their info wrong, or they just took it straight from the anime as explained:
    Nyarth likely originates from the Japanese word for Siam (シャム Syamu) with the sounds switched around, yielding Myasu and in turn ニャース Nyāsu when said in a Meowth-type voice—in the Japanese anime, Team Rocket's Meowth tends to work nyā, the Japanese equivalent of meow, into his dialogue quite often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I love hearing Meowth in Japanese cause there's all these plays on words using "nyan" that don't come across when translated into English. My favourite would be a recent episode of Pokémon Best Wishes! entitled: ニャゴシエイター・ニャース!ズルズキン説得作戦!!which translates as "Nyagotiator Nyarth! Zuruzukin Persuasion Tactics!!"

Nyagotiator. Brilliant! Obviously that doesn't work with 'Meow' so I prefer him in Japanese :)

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

He tends to add nyan to the end of all his sentences. At first I thought the voice didn't suit him but I couldn't imagine it any other way now. Same for all the voices in Pokemon now actually!

Also, best thread ever. :D

131981.jpg

Advertisement