Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you lose the baby weight?

Options
  • 07-10-2011 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

I'm appealing to all you mammies, I'm due back to work in just over a month and still haven't lost my baby weight :( in the weeks after the birth I lost lots with breastfeeding but then my mam died and I stopped and stopped going walking etc. I'm back to a bit of walking but nothing worthy of weight loss.

I'd love any tips from you lot please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Sorry to hear of the loss of your mum :(
    The only tips I can give you is walk walk and walk. Even little things like park the car the furthest place away from shop. I see it all the time people driving around the get the parking space closest to the door :rolleyes:

Have a pot of fresh veg soup on the cooker all the time so when you get hungry you can have some without feeling guilty. (its great for your skin to)

There is no big secret :( Its excercise and eating the right food.

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Quickest way to lose fat is to build muscle... The Fitness Forum is full of great advice but be careful to ignore anything you see on most bridal and / or "mummys" forums, they tend to be full of stupid and, frankly, dangerous advice.

Don't be so worried about losing the weight in time for your return to work though. Women's bodies recover from childbirth at different rates and any little idiot who thinks not shifting baby weight by a set amount of time after you've given birth is exactly that: an idiot whose opinion isn't worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

9 months on, 9 months off.....best and most truthful piece of advice my mother ever gave me.

Stopped me feeling crappy and just let me enjoy my new beautiful bundle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

OP, once you're back at work and in a routine you should start to lose weight.
    It took me a year to get back to my normal weight after each pregnancy (Shelli2, your mum's so right!). I found when I returned to work I wasn't snacking as much as there are fixed breaks.

One great form of exercise I discovered is walking the dog. The dog gets agitated if he/she's not walked, so you've no choice but to take them out - otherwise you'd be putting it off, like every other form of exercise!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Yes definitely 9 months and 9 months off. I cut back a lot in my carbs around 5 months and walked loads and loads. Unfortunately it's the basic diet and exercise. I also found once I went back to work it was easier to watch my diet as I'm less inclined to snack in work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭newwifey

reduce the carbs!
    im not talking about the atkins or anything strict.
    I swapped cereal every other morning for a couple of boiled eggs and reduced carbs at dinner and increased protein.
    I lost 8lbs in 8 weeks. Dramatic weight loss? No.
    But easy? Yes.
    Nothing too dramatic or hard to stick too.
    Oh and by the way it took me two years after no 4 to cop onto that. Tweak the diet and walk plenty.
    Also its hard to be motivated if you are grieving so go easy on yourself too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 semipermanent

I've recently lost 7 kilo's by just counting my calories per day. Basically I still eat everything, but make sure I don't go overboard on daily calorie intake.

I found a great website that is free and has examples of a 1200 calorie diet, right up to a 1800 calorie diet. This is good to get an idea of what's involved in each plan.
    http://www.changingshape.com/

Also, I cut down on coffee and tea because I found that these actually accounted for half my daily intake of calories :( Anyway just so you know, there are 110 calories in a black cup of instant coffee with no sugar, so you can imaging if you add milk and sugar and have about 6 a day! This little sneaky hidden calorific treat adds up...

Also, google how many calories there are in the common foods you eat, so you are aware of what you're eating. No need to obsess, just be aware...

:( Anyway just so you know, there are 110 calories in a black cup of instant coffee with no sugar, so you can imaging if you add milk and sugar and have about 6 a day!

You had me worried there, as I damn well love my coffee!

According to this, there's only 4 calories in a cup of black coffee - as I originally believed!

But I do agree with you that limiting coffee is recommended while dieting, it is a diuretic and can leave you feeling peckish afterwards. Try to get used to drinking mugs of hot water instead.

I guess the info on the web varies, but I did read that it is 110 calories somewhere. I just looked up again abd found brewed coffee results.

http://www.fitclick.com/how_many_calories_in_Brewed_Coffee_w_milk_and_sugar?fd=235874

My boyfriend seems to think it is 2 calories per gram if that's any help.

Just as a matter of interest, I looked up the calorie count on starbucks coffees too. Caffe Mocha = 580 calories!

http://www.healthyweightforum.org/eng/calorie-counter/starbucks_calories/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

I hear ya sista! Ive a 6mth old and 2 months before I return work. I put on a huge amount of weight and by my 6 week check up I had 2.5 stone to lose. Ive lost a stone over the summer from doing weight watchers but am hoping to up things now since joining the gym last month and now lowering carbs. Im not following a diet as such as it was starting to stress me and this can be counter productive so my plan as such is to eat clean - 3 meals a day, no junk and no wheat. Feeling great already.

Try not to put too much pressure on yourself. Motherhood is pretty overwhelming to deal with let alone dealing with a loss :(

:eek: Thanks a bunch - up until then I had been living in blissful ignorance :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

kelle wrote: »
    :eek: Thanks a bunch - up until then I had been living in blissful ignorance :(

It's the milk that has the majority of the calories, so cafe mocha, latte, cappuchino etc. A black coffee has hardly any.

It's the milk that has the majority of the calories, so cafe mocha, latte, cappuchino etc. A black coffee has hardly any.
    Though I notice all Cafe Mochas listed contain whipped cream - I always reject the cream. So maybe mine contain approx half the calories?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd say the whipped cream accounting for half the calories would be seriously over-estimating it. A mocha is half chocolate after all ;)

Like most things, the occasional mocha (maybe one a week or so) isn't going to make you fat / ruin your diet, one every other day or so and it's add some pounds pretty quick though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 StarMom

Ugh Im stuggling something terrible to lose teh weight its like it just ppermanently stuck to me. I USED to be albe to lose the weight sooooooo easily now it just wont shift!!!!!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I was having trouble shifting the last of my pregnancy weight until about a month ago.. I cut out all calorific drinks i.e. fizzy drinks, wine, beer etc.. All I drink is water and I eat sensibly and I'm pretty much back to my pre-baby weight now :)

I also keep active obviously ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

Ah thanks for all the replies! I've found myself eating a lot of carbs and therefore craving carbs :(
    Luckily I only drink black coffee.
    Funny thing is, I was eating quite well in the months after the birth then the second I thought about losing weight, bam! I'm eating rubbish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 StarMom

Just bought this book called 'The 17 day diet' Senn it on Dr.phil and the doctors and it sounds good. Have read about 40 pages and it seems really good! Im so optimistic.........lets hope I stay that way and stick to it. It says you can lose up to 15lbs in the 1st 17day cycle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I have decided myself to accept that a size 8 is going to be tight on me now so am wearing a size 10, sure I am 37...am I deluding myself? My youngest is over 4 months old but she has an 18 month old brother so I did not have much of a break :)

OP, over time the weight will fall off, just be patient.

Edit: OP I am sorry for your loss - my mother died just over 2 weeks after my daughter was born - hugs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement