Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas cake methods

Options
  • 07-10-2011 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

Going to make a start on the Christmas cake tomorrow. First time making it myself and I'm just wondering about the method.

My boyfriend swears you have to make the mix up and let it sit in the fridge for a few days before you bake it to keep it moist (his mother does this and she's an amazing cook). But I remember my mother doing it when I was a child and she would mix and bake on the same day - and granted it was never the most moist cake. I was planning to do this and then just pierce the cake with holes and pour brandy over it every few weeks to keep it moist.

Anyone have any expert methods?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Is your boyfriend thinking of pudding? Pudding is supposed to be left overnight to mature. Cake can be left overnight in the fridge if you want, won't make any real difference, and I can't see how it would make it significantly more moist, the fruit will absorb some liquid, but that would be at the detriment of the mix as it will get dryer. A better plan would be to rehydrate the fruit first, soak it in alcohol for a few days at least before making the cake, this will mean you have very moist plumped fruit by the time you go to make the cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Acoshla wrote: »
    Is your boyfriend thinking of pudding? Pudding is supposed to be left overnight to mature. Cake can be left overnight in the fridge if you want, won't make any real difference, and I can't see how it would make it significantly more moist, the fruit will absorb some liquid, but that would be at the detriment of the mix as it will get dryer. A better plan would be to rehydrate the fruit first, soak it in alcohol for a few days at least before making the cake, this will mean you have very moist plumped fruit by the time you go to make the cake.

He was indeed thinking of pudding, thanks! Have my fruit soaking in brandy and orange juice now to plump it up.

Advertisement