Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo to Tullamore, best route?

Options
  • 07-10-2011 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

I'm going to Tullamore tomorrow from Sligo Town, never travelled this route, wondering which is the best way to go. AA routefinder sends me through Boyle, Roscommon town and Athlone, but I see it's also possible to go through Mullingar. I reckon the Roscommon road isn't great though I'm not sure about this. Anyone have any experience of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

AA is correct. Roads pretty good all through, but allow 3 hours. Its the guts of 120 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Mullingar route is better road, more overtaking opportunities

Athlone route is shorter, but you're very prone to getting stuck behind tractors/elderly drivers for miles on end with nowhere to overtake (esp. the Boyle-Roscommon leg) as happened to me doing Tullamore-Sligo today. Went back via Mullingar in less time on the way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭jazyguy

boyle, roscommon, athlone is by far the quickest way. You skirt around Roscommon, and Athlone is by passed, just make sure to have a good look at google maps before you go. The Athlone part is handy enough as you just follow the signs for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I do a lot of business miles and the quickest way is Boyle-Roscommon-Athlone-Tullamore. Boyle-Roscommon is probably the worst section, but there are also several sections along it where you can get by a lot of traffic if need be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

via Roscommon (as the crow fllies) is the quickest, but it is also the worse feckin road in Ireland, Via Mullingar is by far the best road but a tad longer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement