Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reclaim 2 acres of bog

• 07-10-2011 6:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi there, just getting back into doing a bit of farming after our 10 acres was rented out for the last 7 years, ( not exactly southfork i know ) but we also have 2 acres of bog between our fields, does any1 know what i would have to do to reclaim it and more so what would it cost?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

jack77 wrote: »
    Hi there, just getting back into doing a bit of farming after our 10 acres was rented out for the last 7 years, ( not exactly southfork i know ) but we also have 2 acres of bog between our fields, does any1 know what i would have to do to reclaim it and more so what would it cost?

If it is bog: it is waterlogged peaty solid with a high water table and an acid pH.

You can lower the watertable, and work on the pH to degree, but if it is peaty soil it will always be trying to revert to what it is.

I imagine it will cost more to (re) claim it than it will ever return, you will have to spend your entire life codding it that it is land, and the minute you stop/die it will start to revert.

But the people round here will tell you I have an unhealthy pessimistic streak.

Personally, I would farm/till the good stuff and take some turf for the house off the 2 acres of bog.

You will save more in oil/coal than you would ever return in agricultural profit.

LostCovey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Wouldn't reclaiming a bog be covered by the new rules that were released a few weeks ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Eleganza

Not disagreeing with anything here but I'm of the opinion that Ireland as a country is better drained than it was in previous centuries and it is possible to properly reclaim land without it reverting to it's previous state.

Of course there is some land that will never be anything but bog due to topography.

My uncle said that reclaimed land is never as good as proper land and said his milk yields would always drop when the cattle were on the land that had been reclaimed more than a decade before.

If the reclamation is successful then you'll increase the value of the land but not by enough to ever justify the expense.

I'd see a lifetime's supply of free fuel from turf as great wealth in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Joe the Plumber

How deep is the bog? If its less than three feet you can bury it. A mighty job solid, green and will never go back to rushes again.

Forget the cost.. It will do you good to look out at a green field and say to yourself.. I made that.

The Bull McCabe never looked at things commercially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

`
    What state is it in currently? Is it grazable? It is flat or badly poached? Is it true bog or just a wet boggy field?

As it's only 20% of your holding you could adopt a conservative strategy involving careful grazing (i.e. avoid poaching), rolling, topping, spraying, possibly a low level of lime. Be careful with lime as it causes water retention and those can make wet land wetter (around here they say "boils up the land"). 2 years of this will make a big difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

The Bull McCabe never looked at things commercially.

The Bull McCabe lost everything including his sanity in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭johnboy6930

bury the bog..and bring up the gravel..the deeper the bog the more it costs..he have 45 acres of bog .some areas up to 10 feet deep and other place a foot or 2 deep. we have 25 acres done and you could travel it any day of the year..there only one disadvantage the ground is poor for a while after..

bury the bog..and bring up the gravel..the deeper the bog the more it costs
    This idea is new to me. What's involved and how much does it cost, lets say per ft of bog on 1 acre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭jack77

its only about 3-4 ft deep maximum. any turf that could be got was taken years ago and as far as i can remember it it was poor stuff, all 4 sides of the ground is surrounded by proper fields, and as its seperating 2 of my own fields it would be ideal if we could make something out of it. any idea ball park cost? 4 or 5 thousand to do anything decent with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

The neighbour reclaimed some bog next to my place in North Mayo about 10 years ago. After much expense intially he still appears to be spending alot of time maintaining it and dealing with almost constant poaching problems any time theres a bit of damp weather. I don't think he even bothers to use it in winter - even though its fairly mild here right by the coast:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Where we are could never be described as mild during the winter, will have to do some more research before trying anything, just a shame having land that i can't use and more than a little frustrating!! was trying to weight up cost of doing the work (with unknown results) vs buying 2 acres,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭20silkcut

I re-seeded 20 acres of bog land in 2007. It cost me 600 quid to burn it off with round up.
    1800 quid to rotavate very difficult to find a contractor to do it, and yes he did get stuck quite a few times. 2007 was a very wet year.
    2200 to sow, level and ring roll,including grass seed.

Started in June finished in October of that year.

I keep it topped regularly to keep it under control but there are plenty of rushes on it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

its only about 3-4 ft deep maximum. any turf that could be got was taken years ago and as far as i can remember it it was poor stuff, all 4 sides of the ground is surrounded by proper fields, and as its seperating 2 of my own fields it would be ideal if we could make something out of it. any idea ball park cost? 4 or 5 thousand to do anything decent with it?

Is it worth spending that kind of money on 2 acres??

if i was getting 20 acres of useable ground, doesnt make sense to put in that work and cash for 2 though, back to the drawing board on that 1. Thanks 20silkcut for the figures

just do it wrote: »
    This idea is new to me. What's involved and how much does it cost, lets say per ft of bog on 1 acre?

there two methods of turning bog..if its a foot deep its just a matter of sticking the bucket in and flipping it over you could do about and acre a day that way..but if it an deeper than that it would have to be trenched (thats the second method) and that consist of digging a trench and putting the bog to your left and digging the gravel out...(thats how you start it)then move over the wight of the bucket put the bog into the hole that was just dug.dig the gravel out and but it on top of the bog..may sound confusing but simple enough..you would do about a acre a week this way..and is hard on diesel!! (one of the lad have a video on you tube.ill try find it will show you how to do it)

there two methods of turning bog..if its a foot deep its just a matter of sticking the bucket in and flipping it over you could do about and acre a day that way..but if it an deeper than that it would have to be trenched (thats the second method) and that consist of digging a trench and putting the bog to your left and digging the gravel out...(thats how you start it)then move over the wight of the bucket put the bog into the hole that was just dug.dig the gravel out and but it on top of the bog..may sound confusing but simple enough..you would do about a acre a week this way..and is hard on diesel!! (one of the lad have a video on you tube.ill try find it will show you how to do it)

So if it's only a ft deep and a day's work it will cost ~€220 an acre, as digger and man are €27ph around here at the moment. The trenching method will cost ~€1,000 an acre.

Then of course there is reseeding etc on top of that. Though iIf it's as good a job as you say and you can use the first method it's worth considering.

will have to do some more research before trying anything, just a shame having land that i can't use and more than a little frustrating!!
    What about forestry?
    was trying to weight up cost of doing the work (with unknown results) vs buying 2 acres,
    Out of interest, what would you consider spending per acre if you knew it would turn it into productive ground?

just do it wrote: »
    So if it's only a ft deep and a day's work it will cost ~€220 an acre, as digger and man are €27ph around here at the moment. The trenching method will cost ~€1,000 an acre.

Then of course there is reseeding etc on top of that. Though iIf it's as good a job as you say and you can use the first method it's worth considering.

a man with a mini digger mite be getting €27ph ha .not a hope could we run a 22ton machine for that price.what size machine he have?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Joe the Plumber

Its well worth the money, even at 40 euro/hr for the digger, All you have to do after it is pick off a few stones and seed it.

Give it plenty slurry for the first couple of years to build up a skin.

I have it done and I am getting a great return form the ground, plus even at 1500 an acre, its your own outside the door and you wont buy land for 1500 AFAIK.

Go for it, spending money on that land any other way is a waste of money, it will always be soft and wet.

You have to be able to travel ground with a tractor to be able to maintain it properly.

Advertisement