Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent question. Need advice before tomorrow

Options
  • 07-10-2011 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

I rented a property in Nov 2009 giving a deposit of 1350. This was done through a property company. The lease was renewed one year later again with the agent. I then asked the landlady if she would do the RAS Scheme and she looked into it. Our second lease ran out whilst she was looking into the RAs scheme and she requested we carry on renting on a month to month basis untill the RAS was decided without any lease signed .In Aug 2011 she sent me a mail saying that she would now be withdrawing her interest in the Ras scheme as her family situation had changed and that she would no longer be renting out the house as soon as I find alternitive accomodation. I took this as my notice. I made her aware that I had contacted the council and just waiting for the council to allocate me a place which would be within the next few weeks. I got a place from the council and signed for the keys last Thursday. On Tuesday she arranged to call and see me on Thursday. When she arrived she checked the place out and was very happy as the house is in better condition now than when I moved in. She agreed to give back my deposit minus the cost of cleaning the carpet in front of a witness. The following morning she phoned me saying that I didnt give her any notice I was leaving and she was keeping half my deposit. She wants the keys back tomorrow and says she will send my money on. This woman lives in the UK and was only here last week. Her sister is comming to take the keys tomorrow. Should I give them to her. She will not be giving me any money tomorrow. She said she will send a cheque to me. She didnt even get my new address. The house is perfect and in better condition now than when I moved in. I should get my full deposit back and I fear I wont see a penny if I give back the keys. What are my rights in this situation and what should I do.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Why don't you send a letter to the landlady requesting your deposit back? Tell her that unless she complies, then you will report the matter to the relevant authorities. Have you taken photos of the house when you left and taken meter readings (with photos of the meters?)

As a matter of interest. I see the landlady is non resident. Is your tenancy registered with the PTRB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

start saying revenue comissioners a few times and you will get your money back

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

duckysauce wrote: »
    start saying revenue comissioners a few times and you will get your money back

Don't go down that road.
    If the tenant is aware that the landlord is non-resident, he/she is supposed to be deducting witholding tax from the rent and forwarding this to the Revenue Commissioners.
    The route to go is to initiate a dispute via the PRTB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Charisma wrote: »
    I...In Aug 2011 she sent me a mail saying that she would now be withdrawing her interest in the Ras scheme as her family situation had changed and that she would no longer be renting out the house as soon as I find alternitive accomodation....

I'm confused. Why would you have to give her notice, if she'd already given you this notice?

I'd ask her this, and get her reason for withholding the deposit in writing. Also that if you don't get your full deposit you'd raise a complaint with the PRTB. I'd also copy all this in a letter saying the same, also including details of the inspection, and no issues were raised. As I suspect, she might change this to damage after you move out, and she realizes her original reason isn't valid.

But get everything in writing, even if mean repeating everything in a phone call in a letter. (or email). Letters are best though. And email is unreliable. Also photograph the whole place and make an inventory. I expect her story will change. The keys are irrelevant really, she probably has copies, and can get new locks if she doesn't.

Advertisement