Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roller Derby Greystones.Get your skates on!

Options
  • 07-10-2011 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Looking for women interested in joining "The grestones cyclones".
    Age unimportant as long as 18+.
    Roller derby is a contact sport so not for the fainthearted! Have a look at our facebook page, "The greystones cyclones" for further details.
    First meet up for info etc. 8th oct .:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

Awwh damn, I didn't know this was happening. Roller Derby sounds like so much fun :p

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

Sounds cool, but not sure if I have the confidence to join :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 weeda

Its never to late ! Take a look and like the page, send us a message so i know to include you on keeping you up to date RE training etc.

Plenty wrote: »
    Sounds cool, but not sure if I have the confidence to join :)[/QUOT

Confidence for which bit exactly???? (If you don't mind me asking?) :)
    This is something i believe can only help confidence levels. Really.. I mean just getting out and meeting up with other women,Having a laugh,helping each other up...ya know..all that team spirit. aND WE HAVEN'T EVEN TALKED ABOUT(OPPS, CAP LOCK on) the fitness benefits...! have to go tho ,quick!!

I've hit the like button on Facebook :) I always loved rollers skating as a child. I was never any good at it. Tried roller blading a few years back, I still haven't got the right balance, but inline skating is different to roller skating.

• Advertisement

Thats great. Take a look at the wall. Iv stuck a few video's up. Meet yaou soon then!

weeda wrote: »
    Confidence for which bit exactly???? (If you don't mind me asking?)

Where my confidence lacks is being able to skate. I wasn't very good when I was younger and I haven't skated in Yeeears! I know every thing comes with practice, it's finding the time to practice, is the challenge. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

I absolutely loved skating as a kid, I considered myself fairly good at it too, but when is training on for this? At the moment I work 4 days a week and I'm in my final year of college =/

Do you have skates already? Most people don't but i can get a discount on good skates IF i can get enough orders and cash for them. Other wise heres a link to where i got mine
    http://www.wreckless.ie/
    Our next meet up (A few of us have met up already) is 22nd oct 11.45 @ The beach house greystones. I can take orders then and we'll have an update on training, place/when etcetc!
    If your interested (or any body else) then send an email, "thegreystonescyclones@gmail.com" along with your mobile number.
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 43 KatieEgg

What if someone was interested but can't skate at all, I haven't skated since I was a child & even then I was terrible at it! But I'd love to give it a go again...

• Advertisement

Lots of us used to be able to skate, you don't lose it but you do have to get the hang of it again.
    Ultimately, being able to skate fast and confidently will be needed if one wants to play during friendly and league bouts(matches). It may be hard to tell now how much better you may be with some practice. To get out for training/fittness/mixing and having some fun if you brilliant or not dosen't matter hugely if this is something youd like to try.
    Buying skates for yurself is gona cost like 150/70 so that may help you in you desision. Do get in touch if your still interested!

you can always give my size7's skate a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 KatieEgg

Oooo, that's steep! I might try get a cheap pair & see if I'm any good at it first! Thanks for getting back to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Joined last week, it is great fun and brilliant to be part of a team and all The girls are really nice.

Ladeez great workout, Especially the legs and bum :eek:

If you are interested, we are in St Patricks hall kilcoole Wednesday at 8.30 and Friday at 7.30

Cmon down :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33 BarryAlistair

Just had a peek at the facebook page - it sounds and looks great fun :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Carmeii

Still looking for new members, it's so much fun and we can't remember life before derby! :)

Carmeii wrote: »
    Still looking for new members, it's so much fun and we can't remember life before derby! :)

Very turue Carmeli :D:D

Looking good girlies :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭amy1plus2

Hi there, is it ok to come along and watch 1 of the sessions just to check it out? Thanks

• Advertisement

Of course, we train Wednesday and Friday evenings in kilcoole.
    We have a facebook page with lots more info, just search for greystones cyclone:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mashmish

Merrilady wrote: »
    Very turue Carmeli :D:D

Looking good girlies :D:D
    Can't believe was just asking this week about roller derby anywhere near Bray.. this sounds amazing! Do I need skates before I arrive & where can I get them?

Hi,

Preferably if you had skates, however we are running starter skate session on Sunday, the details are on facebook, under the greystones cyclones

There is also a olace www.gosk8.ie

We have places available for ref's if you're interested! No knowledge/experience needed.And thanks for LIKING the page :)
    Just had a peek at the facebook page - it sounds and looks great fun :-)

I'd forgotten about having put this up on boards. As merrilady said we have a starter sunday skate happening. Not to late to join in and catch up.
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/283118118382558/

Skates would be needed as what we have is out on loan already.
    Heres a limk to our page, oh do,oh DO LIKE it ;))

..And if,or should I say WHEN you're very interested in joining up then just re-quest to join our group!
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/283118118382558/
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Interesting slideshow and audio on the Irish Times website this morning which explains the sport:

http://www.irishtimes.com/indepth/slideshows/dublin-roller-girls/

Merrilady wrote: »
    Thanks for the link, looking forward to reading it.

On a smaller scale, The Cyclones will be in the Bray People next week :cool:

The Dublin Roller Girls are playing a bout (match) in Shoreline on May 27th, y'all should come down and have a look.

Are photographers allowed ?
    to take photos I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 wicked_wytch

Theres usually no problem with photography, just don't get in the way of the track and be happy with your own insurance in case your gear gets damaged if a roller girl lands in your lap, you do so at your own risk. Best bet is to ask an official where is out of bounds, and to do as they ask. Other than that, happy snapping!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Carmeii

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    to take photos I mean.

This bout has moved to Tallaght Basketball arena now.

• Advertisement

Carmeii wrote: »
    pixbyjohn wrote: »
    to take photos I mean.

This bout has moved to Tallaght Basketball arena now.
    and now one last change..its on in trinity college sports centre.

Advertisement