Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking Fine

Options
  • 07-10-2011 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

I am so angry right now....
    y'know the way we are constantly being told that we need to help the shops in the city and spend our money there.... well NEVER again after tonight.
    Went into town with my mother this evening and parked outside Shaws on the quay. Now I understand it's a loading bay area but I honestly thought you could park there after 6 in the evening. Went into Shaws and spent a bit of money, came back out after about 20 mins to find a lovely pink docket on the car... car behind me had just gotten one too... it's was 6.40 on a Friday evening.... I'm seriously thinking of appealing it. And I'm bringing my purchases back to Shaws in Dungarvan for a full refund in case I need to pay up.... Sorry Shaws.
    Would I have any hope in appealing it?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

I THINK on a Friday its after 9.

Saying that few months ago at 10pm i got moved by a garda from the loading bay outside book a room.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Tinalouise

no way.... thats mental. At least he din't give you a fine tho, some sickener :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭deeks

Tinalouise wrote: »
    y'know the way we are constantly being told that we need to help the shops in the city and spend our money there.... well NEVER again after tonight.
    Went into town with my mother this evening and parked outside Shaws on the quay. Now I understand it's a loading bay area but I honestly thought you could park there after 6 in the evening. Went into Shaws and spent a bit of money, came back out after about 20 mins to find a lovely pink docket on the car... car behind me had just gotten one too... it's was 6.40 on a Friday evening.... I'm seriously thinking of appealing it. And I'm bringing my purchases back to Shaws in Dungarvan for a full refund in case I need to pay up.... Sorry Shaws.

Why is it the fault of the retaillers that you didn't know the parking regulations? I would have thought it was fairly common knowledge that parking tickets were required til 9 on a Friday and if not it's clearly marked on plenty of poles on every street where it applies.

I appreciate that you feel hard done by but taking it out on the retailler is hardly fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

I THINK on a Friday its after 9.

Saying that few months ago at 10pm i got moved by a garda from the loading bay outside book a room.

Mon - thur is 6:00 or 6:30pm but it's definitely later on a Friday as alot of the shops are open late!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 sparkey1

look at the signs and road markings........ they are there for a reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Parking has killed this city. Make a day of it and bring your mother to a city that deserves your money. Cork and Kilkenny are only up the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

Tinalouise wrote: »

Only a woman could think that she could park in a loading bay & then appeal the decision!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭decies

OP you are wrong on both accounts am afraid , and why am I surprised that somebody suggests go shop in another town?? Have they different laws somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭ILoveShoez

Seriously?! Parking in a loading bay? And you want to appeal the decision? Good luck with that!

What I don't understand is why do you say you spend a lot of money in Shaws but you can't afford to pay for parking across the road for an hour????? €1.80!

Cork's parking is a lot worse and count yourself lucky that you only have to pay €40 fine and not €80 as you do in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Not a hope of appeal.

I also hate people parking along the front of shaws anyway. If youre trying to pull out from O'Connell street, the cars parked there always block absolutely any view you have of cars coming from the clock tower direction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Media999 wrote: »
    Parking has killed this city. Make a day of it and bring your mother to a city that deserves your money. Cork and Kilkenny are only up the road.
    Yeah parking is free in Cork and Kilkenny, and you can park outside any shop you want. :rolleyes:

Park in a loading bay in Cork City centre you won't get a fine, you get clamped. And it costs a lot more than a fine. There is plenty of parking in Waterford and as far as I remember it is cheaper than the other cities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

Realistically speaking,people (esp the fairer sex!) would park IN the shop if they could......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

cbl593h wrote: »
    Realistically speaking,people (esp the fairer sex!) would park IN the shop if they could......

Oh shut up!

But in all fairness op, what reaction did you expect here ? You illegally parked and now hate the shops in the city centre because you got a fine that in my opinion, you should have gotten! I'm sick of seeing people parked in non-parking spaces especially on the left hand lane on the quay, it drives me nuts how people just abandon their cars there!

I'm getting annoyed thinking of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭leduke

the only reason you parked there was to avoid paying a couple of euros for legal parking! just accept you got caught and pay your fine! loading bays are outside shops and hotels for a reason and its not to accommodate laziness!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My father got clamped in Cork a few years ago when his ticket ran out while he was in the que for a passport. Terrible experience, but he paid straight away and came home.

You havent a hope of appealing the ticket and getting away with it. I lived in Gladstone St and I had 4 or 5 tickets appealed but they were given out in error by the ticket person.

According to other threads Laoise is the nearest town without pay parking....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

i drive a truck for a living and loading bays are there for one reason and one reason only and that is for us to unload not for lazy folk to park in! Just like disabled parking is for diasbled people, i bet you.d park there also? ? ? Be a grown up take responsibility for your actions and pay the fine and learn from your mistakes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Yeah parking is free in Cork and Kilkenny, and you can park outside any shop you want. :rolleyes:

Park in a loading bay in Cork City centre you won't get a fine, you get clamped. And it costs a lot more than a fine. There is plenty of parking in Waterford and as far as I remember it is cheaper than the other cities.

Never said it was.

If your gonna pay for the pleasure of shopping at least make it worthwhile in a city that isnt full of ****ty empty expensive shops.

Waterford is no more than the arsehole of Ireland now.

Face facts lads. Worst unemployment blackspot in Ireland and you all still stick up for the policies of the well paid do nothing council.

Ah sure why would they care. They still get there grand a week no matter what.

Poxy idiots cant even sort out a ****ty little parking issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭fitzeyboy.

Never said it was.

If your gonna pay for the pleasure of shopping at least make it worthwhile in a city that isnt full of ****ty empty expensive shops.

Face facts lads. Worst unemployment blackspot in Ireland and you all still stick up for the policies of the well paid do nothing council.

Are you some kind of troll? The op parked in a loading bay and got a ticket. She's lucky it wasn't in cork because she would have been towed. Fair play to the Traffic warden for ticketing her, because I'm sick of trying to make deliveries around the city with Gob****es clogging up the loading bays. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Never said it was.

Think you better read the original post again fella , you seem to be answering a different one altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

The parking laws are these for all to see, I know it's a pain when you get a ticket but where you parked you deserve a fine and your lucky it's not bigger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

michellie wrote: »
    Oh shut up!

But in all fairness op, what reaction did you expect here ? You illegally parked and now hate the shops in the city centre because you got a fine that in my opinion, you should have gotten! I'm sick of seeing people parked in non-parking spaces especially on the left hand lane on the quay, it drives me nuts how people just abandon their cars there!

I'm getting annoyed thinking of it!

100% agree with you. People are dumping their cars on the left hand lane on the quay, sticking on the hazard lights and going into the shops. It is dangerous to other motorists and pisses me off everytime I use the quay.

OP, you would be wasting paper and phone calls appealing that decision. It doesn't matter where you do it - if you park in a loading bay, be prepared to get fined.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭joebre

Nobody in this post has stated what the operational hours for the loading bay are.
    If it is later on a Friday, then it will be stated on a sign at the loading bay.
    The fact that you got a ticket at 6.20 tells me that the hours are later on a Friday.
    Your only right to appeal will be based on improper signage and road markings.
    Otherwise, you are wasting your time with an appeal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Do they not have parking fines up there

Never said it was.

If you hate Waterford so much, why dont you live somewhere else. In my experience, people who constantly complain about Waterford/Ireland have never lived elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

when ya send in an appeal its the chap or chapeen who gave the ticket that deals with it so its a no hoper,
    i'd ticket them buses double parking outside dooleys and the bridge hotel a right pain especially when the traffics heavy..........

Hoffmans wrote: »
    when ya send in an appeal its the chap or chapeen who gave the ticket that deals with it so its a no hoper,
    i'd ticket them buses double parking outside dooleys and the bridge hotel a right pain especially when the traffics heavy..........

I think a bit of lee-way is needed for bus drivers dropping off bus loads of spending tourists

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

The one that really grinds my gears is parking half on the pavement on Patrick St.

One day a child is going to be run over because some lazy ar5e can't be bothered to park properly, or is too much of a tightwad to spend 30c. The glare you get from them if you dare to be on the pavement when they want to bump up their car, only the other day I saw some poor woman have to push her buggy into the road because some idiot old couple were parked about a foot from the wall.

Next time I see it I'm reporting it to the Guards.

SSE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

I live on Manor Street and someone took my Parking permit from my car one day. I applied straight away for another Residents permit and when I was waiting I got a parking ticket right outside my house, I went down and explained to them the situation and I appealed it and the appeal was turned down and I was told to pay.

That was a few months ago, I just refused to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

You are better off going to one of the out of town shopping centers, cheap parking less hassle, Driving into town is a big turn off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Cannot understand all the fuss and bother, go down the road to Dungarvan, they have a Shaws and parking is free after 4pm, it is a nice friendly place, give yourself a treat, good luck

Advertisement