Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Congenital Heart Disease

Options
  • 07-10-2011 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi All,

We just found out this week that our baby has a congenital heart disease. We're just 26 weeks and it appears that there are problems with the circulatory system, particularly the aorta.
    We have an appointment in the Coome next week to see the cardiologist - Dr Orla Franklin.
    I'm on an emotional rollercoaster the last few days and I am just looking for info from others who have been in a similar situation. I'm not even sure if this is a good idea but I'd just like to know where we go from here and how others have got throught this.... Up to last Weds, this was a great pregnancy,all going really well, feeling great, loads of baby movement, kicks getting stronger every week but now I'm in a heap... trying to stay positive but it's very hard and the tears are unpredictable. Also it seems like everyone wants to know how the pregnancy is going.... kinda avoiding the world at the minute as I don't trust myself to keep it together and we're not telling anyone yet.....
    Sorry for the rambling but hopefully there are others out there who can pass on their experience????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

(((hugs))) I've nothing to add but just to say look after yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I don't have any experience, or advice to give unfortunately...but I hope you get some comfort from the cardiologist. Whatever you do, steer away from google and I would think it would be perfectly normal not to want to face anyone till you know more.

Best of luck with it xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

+1 on NO GOOGLE, Doctor Google will not have anything useful to add at all, guaranteed.

No matter what happens, you will get through it though, just lean on each other, and make sure you talk about how you're feeling with your partner. If you don't feel like talking to anyone else, then just don't, it's that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MiMi P

Thanks ladies for the supportive posts..... I wish I had stayed away from Dr Google.... but not going visiting again. We've booked a few nights away in order to try and unwind and stay away from the internet and the world!!!!! Hopefully Thursday will bring some clarity and a better idea of what we are dealing with.... hubbie is being brilliant a rock!!!! Plenty of hugs and chat, thankfully. I know it is difficult for him as well but he's being a star. Hopefully it won't be as bad as we currently imagine:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Really have no experience or advice for you, but really wanted to say I hope your doing ok, mind yourself and try to stay positive and and forget about the possibilities until you know more. It's an impossible situation as you really can't know the implications of what they've said until you know more. In the meanwhile keep positive and I wish I could say something more helpful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pippington

Im so sorry to hear about this. If its any comfort at all I know that Dr. Franklin is brilliant, easy to talk to and ask questions and will not brush over any details or facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Charlies Angel

So Sorry to read of your situation. I've no experience but did have to take my son to Dr Orla Franklin on a suspected hole in heart.. She is absolutely fantastic, really nice and easy to deal with and explains things in very plain English. You are in good hands.

Maybe take a pen and paper and write down any questions you have for her, as it's such an emotional time, you're likely to come out having forgotten to ask something and it will only add to your worries..

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 18,605 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

So sorry to hear this MiMi.

My first child had a heart problem ,diagnosed after she was born,the cardiologist was brilliant, and all went well.
    I worked with Orla Franklin in the early '90s- she is fantastic,a great doctor and a lovely person.

Would agree with Charlies Angel- write down any questions you have now-no matter how simple you think they are,if they are relevant to you,then they are important.
    There is literature available, but ask Orla about it- sometimes having too much info at this stage might just stress you out,and nobody needs stress in a pregnancy.
    Best wishes and both of you take care.

Advertisement