Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iOS5 - Download, Installation, Errors

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Usually morning US time, so 5 or 6pm our time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Does this actually work? I can't extract the .dmg files even with 7zip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Does this actually work? I can't extract the .dmg files even with 7zip
    yes it does. i was a bit skeptical too, but said **** it. (even tho the update is out in a few days). i like the geo-reminders. very handy.

Ah I think step one is defunct coz he updated it. Currently extracting software... Excited!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭silverwood

Update worked perfect first time. Like what i see so far. Wireless syncing finally :)

• Advertisement

silverwood wrote: »
    Update worked perfect first time. Like what i see so far. Wireless syncing finally :)

So I'm updated and working fine. Got the new reminders app which I like tho it looks like I need to save specific places into my phonebook before using them.Ok with that!

However I am a bit confused, is the new iMessage integrated into the messaging app? I was under the impression it was stand alone. If it is I'm delighted!!!

I also don't see a notifications centre app?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You can bring up the notification screen by swiping down from the menu bar. And you can change settings in Settings > notifications.

You can bring up the notification screen by swiping down from the menu bar. And you can change settings in Settings > notifications.
    Legend thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

I think a lot of these changes or updates I already have in some shape or form via jailbreaking but the performance of some of the jailbroken tweaks leaves my phone a little slow at times so will definitely get this when their is an untethered jailbreak...

One question though, are there delivery reports on text messages?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Cook my sock

No, only iMessages

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Downloading as we speak, dont really understand this first part though? Whats my IPSW file

Open up the DMG file (Windows users will need a tool like 7-Zip to do this, and will need to open the .hfs inside the .dmg as well), and find the IPSW file for your device. Drag it to the desktop, or a folder of your choosing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭silverwood

Tones69 wrote: »
    Downloading as we speak, dont really understand this first part though? Whats my IPSW file

It's the file that you download containing the new iOS 5 software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Open up the DMG file (Windows users will need a tool like 7-Zip to do this, and will need to open the .hfs inside the .dmg as well), and find the IPSW file for your device. Drag it to the desktop, or a folder of your choosing.

That part is obsolete now as the individual ISPW's are now listed.

Put iOS 5 on our two iPhone 4 last night. Simple process each time. Delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Downloading as we speak

Just a quick thought, why not just wait until it's available tomorrow and you would get the official RTW version without any of the other hassle of DMG's, IPSWs and TransMac, etc.?

Speaking as one who went through the exact same process last week. Really, I would have just saved myself the time and just got the proper release tomorrow. ... Save yourself the headache, for 24 hours sake :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Just a quick thought, why not just wait until it's available tomorrow and you would get the official RTW version without any of the other hassle of DMG's, IPSWs and TransMac, etc.?

Speaking as one who went through the exact same process last week. Really, I would have just saved myself the time and just got the proper release tomorrow. ... Save yourself the headache, for 24 hours sake :)

And prepare yourself for the headache of downloading at the same time as....Ooooh, let's see, millions and millions of other people?:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

RE: No delivery reports...No, only iMessages

That is retarded... it's been in phones since the Nokia 3210 for god sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

do you still have to do step 1? im having a bit of trouble extracting the file do you need to use 7-zip??

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

That is retarded... it's been in phones since the Nokia 3210 for god sake.
    phones have also moved on a huge amount since the 3210, can't remember the last time i actually sent a text message let alone need to know when it was delivered.

srumball wrote: »
    do you still have to do step 1? im having a bit of trouble extracting the file do you need to use 7-zip??

Cheers

That step is obsolete. As I pointed out 4 posts above yours. :-)

my bad!! Updating now.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Just did it on my 3GS for work, I don't see where to set the geo reminder within Reminders. It's not where this post says it should be.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I have the ipsw file, but have been getting this error (on PC):
    The iPhone "Dades' iPhone" could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible.

I'm only using iTunes 10.4.1.10 (I tried to install 10.5 beta but it was "expired").

Also, I've downloaded the file twice from two different places to make sure I had the right one.
    I'm using iPhone3,3_5.0_9A5220p_Restore.ipsw (iPhone 4 for CDMA) file.

Any thoughts?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Dades wrote: »
    I have the ipsw file, but have been getting this error (on PC):

I'm only using iTunes 10.4.1.10 (I tried to install 10.5 beta but it was "expired").

Also, I've downloaded the file twice from two different places to make sure I had the right one.
    I'm using iPhone3,3_5.0_9A5220p_Restore.ipsw (iPhone 4 for CDMA) file.

Any thoughts?

You need the gsm one, not CDMA? Won't work without iTunes 10.5 anyway I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

Steoob wrote: »
    Having the same issue. how did you resolve this?

U guys get this sorted? Stoopid itunes wont launch for me either. HAve done the repair still no go.

copacetic wrote: »
    You need the gsm one, not CDMA? Won't work without iTunes 10.5 anyway I think.
    Really? I thought the GSM one was for the crappy US networks and the CDMA one for Europe.

Wondering if I can get another copy of 10.5 now that not going to be "expired"...
    I may not be able to install officially till Monday if I don't do this myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

Dades wrote: »
    Really? I thought the GSM one was for the crappy US networks and the CDMA one for Europe.

Wondering if I can get another copy of 10.5 now that not going to be "expired"...
    I may not be able to install officially till Monday if I don't do this myself.

No GSM is our one and AT&T in the US. CDMA is Verizon in the states. I just got itunes 10.5 there but can't launch it.

I have it running ok, but the when I launch the iTunes 10.5 beta I get a message that it is "about to expire but I click ok and it opens as normal.
    I assume that message will f off when I update to the proper 10.5 in the coming days.

get the same message from iTunes but it still opens up, I have had aproblem with the iPhone though, all of my apps on my home screen say "waiting" and I cant get into any of them, post ios5 install!

Any ideas guys?

Hmm. So downloading the GSM version now.

Sounds like getting iTunes 10.5 working is going to be hit & miss.

• Advertisement

srumball wrote: »
    get the same message from iTunes but it still opens up, I have had aproblem with the iPhone though, all of my apps on my home screen say "waiting" and I cant get into any of them, post ios5 install!

Any ideas guys?

Just sit tight. That's them "syncing" now. Took an AGE for me on my phone with load of apps. Much quicker on the GF's as she uses very few.

Advertisement