Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iOS5 - Download, Installation, Errors

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Finally working again..

After breaking out of the restart cycle, it successfully did its restore and update and now is running IOS 5

So much for being the most "user friendly" smartphone though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

m'lady wrote: »
    So plugged it into iTunes tonight and it was to update my new iPhone 4 to IOS 5. In the end though I got the same "error 3200" that (according to a Google search) everyone else is with the phone displaying the "connect to iTunes screen"

In my ignorance I disconnected the USB cable and plugged it in again and tried to do the recovery it prompted me to do. Again got error 3200 and the phone seemed stuck

Now though it's going through a cycle where I get the apple logo, then a status bar for a second and then a circular rotating "please wait" style symbol in the middle of the screen for about 2 minutes then it reboots

Is it fecked?

Disconnect the cable from your phone.
    Hold the home and power buttons together till the screen goes black then reconnect the cable while holding the home button. This will get your phone out of that cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

3200 means the network is busy, failed once then left it for 10 mins and it worked:D

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭CiaranTheGreat

Could someone please confirm to me that the WiFi sync will not eat into my bandwith allowance as it is preformed over a Local Wireless Network and not the internet??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Could someone please confirm to me that the WiFi sync will not eat into my bandwith allowance as it is preformed over a Local Wireless Network and not the internet??

Correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭CiaranTheGreat

Thank you sir you have most been helpful at this ungodly hour!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

im stuck at backing up ipad, it sits at around the 80% mark on the bar, and doesnt move. Its not frozen, just not arsed haha! Any tips on a way around it? This is mess for apple, so much failure in the last 2 weeks....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

Ok heres how i got to ios5......via snow leopard

1 be prepared to be SO PATIENT
    2 make sure you have the Os updated via " software update " in the apple menu on your top bar
    3 once your updates are downloaded and installed , DO A RESTART !
    4 BEFORE you connect your iDevice to your mac, make sure its FULLY charged
    5 only use the approved apple WHITE USB cable to connect your iDevice to your mac
    6 Be aware of the fact that ANY updates / flashes are ALWAYS verified by apples servers before they are implemented.......on this, even if your new download is delivered to your mac , it will NOT be passed to your device until it is verified by apples servers !
    7 as per 6 above, please be aware that on the day of iOS release, apples servers are prone to SEVERE hammering from worldwide IP addresses wishing to get the software. This is due to the fact that there are MILLIONS of people who own idevices X by times of those who wish to update X times by the time of day X by broadband speeds...... all of this WILL produce errors for MOST / not few WORLDWIDE
    8 READ 7 AGAIN
    9 READ 8 AGAIN
    10 READ 9 AGAIN
    11 before we go to 12, just realise with all this server traffic, coupled with the amount of jailed devices, that the apple servers will dump out any unknown / dodgy mac addresses it CHOOSES !

Deep sigh.....

12 now you are ready...in summary, you have updated your OS, charged your device , have the proper cable and got coffee / lit a smoke !

13 Lets assume you never EVER ( even in the past onetime ) jailed your device. if you EVER did then your hosts file on your computer has been altered. PS if you receive errors during the process please google the error message going forward

14 now down to business
    restart your mac
    15 once fully booted up, close ALL programs
    16 start up iTunes.....check youre on 10.5.
    17 STOP....be aware onve itunes is lit, it has a son called " itunes helper " running in the background. Its purpose is to check your itunes version, assume a connection to an iDevice, with an approved cable, and inform the cupertino servers that all is in order, hardware wise, and to expect flawless communication !
    18 if all above passes the given, then connect your device via the apple approved 30 pin cable
    19 the apple server will take you by the hand through the upgrade / update process on route through several device re-boots & Restore backup references to reach a success full hardware upgrade to iOS 5

20 Enjoy your journey ! and enjoy iOS 5

any help with probs during your journey , i will gladly try to resolve......in the morning !

eirlinkl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Woooooo finally!!

Took 2 attempts! First failed and had to restore the phone, nearly had a panic attack took an hour to get up back and running! Everything was backed up so now its running perfect!!

Delighted with the changes! Love the message swipe away for keypad and camera access on lock screen. Notification slide down bar is awesome too! Can't wait to get stuck in and find out more cool updates!! :D

Worth the stress!!

Jwacqui wrote: »
    Woooooo finally!!

Took 2 attempts! First failed and had to restore the phone, nearly had a panic attack took an hour to get up back and running! Everything was backed up so now its running perfect!!

Delighted with the changes! Love the message swipe away for keypad and camera access on lock screen. Notification slide down bar is awesome too! Can't wait to get stuck in and find out more cool updates!! :D

Worth the stress!!

What stress ! im So used to the connect to itunes screen that i know my device is at least connected to my mac......once there cupertino knows im alive !!

enjoy iOS 5 my friend

• Advertisement

apples servers are being hammered from worldwide IPs ,
    errors are down to one of two main reasons...

1 traffic seeking verification
    2 jailbroken devices ( even somewhere in the past ) altering host file on users computers

your upgrade / update will NOT pass verification , ie be passed to your iDevice until apple allows it....hence the " internal " error

FYi
    an " internal " error message WITHOUT an error code indicates a busy server or an in hospitable host file on yer machine !

wait or edit !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

did the update on my 3gs. took an age. all music gone after restore. why oh why are these things so bloody awkward!!!!????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭reelkidmusic

m'lady wrote: »
    So plugged it into iTunes tonight and it was to update my new iPhone 4 to IOS 5. In the end though I got the same "error 3200" that (according to a Google search) everyone else is with the phone displaying the "connect to iTunes screen"

In my ignorance I disconnected the USB cable and plugged it in again and tried to do the recovery it prompted me to do. Again got error 3200 and the phone seemed stuck

Now though it's going through a cycle where I get the apple logo, then a status bar for a second and then a circular rotating "please wait" style symbol in the middle of the screen for about 2 minutes then it reboots

Is it fecked?

Same thing happened to me. I held down both home button and power button for some time and then it went back to screen showing to connect to itunes. It worked fine for me after that. Hope this helps. It was the most painful process ever but kind of worth it in the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

SEORG wrote: »
    Has anyone had problems with iTunes not recognizing their phone. I was getting errors, now my phone is just hanging in a loop and is not being recognized by iTunes

I had a similar problem. Tried a different usb cable and port and it picked up the phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

What a disaster this is turning out to be.

No idea did the update work last night but now my phone won't recognise the SIM. Basically saying "SIM not ready" and "Please re-insert your SIM, or visit your carrier store to receive a replacement SIM card".

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sparkey38

As the title says..

I have an iTunes account (sign in with my gmail email address) , and a mobile me account (me.com email address)

When I installed the new ios5 to my iphone it asked for me to sign in with my 'Apple address'. I thought this should me my me.com sign in details , for iCloud. But now I have set my phone up with this account and when I go to app store and /or itunes it has my mobile me and not my itunes account details.

Please help. How do I fix this. Will Apple merge my two accounts??

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭theliam

ive been trying to update since yesterday. my iphone had been jail broken, dunno what way i didnt do it myself.. it restored the phone fine as far as i can tell but when it comes to activation it says on the phone that the iphone activation servers are down.. and when i try on itunes it says "there is no sim card installed in the iphone you are trying to activate please disconnect and insert a sim in the iphone" needless to say, i do have a sim inserted... and its only a few months old so no reason why it shouldnt work...
    its a 32gb 3gs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Just wondering if this is the same error message that other people are getting or am I doing something wrong myself????

Its error 3194, an unknown error has occured....

I'm guessing its because the apple servers are so busy, but maybe its something I am doing that is incorrect????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, during install iTunes will talk back to Apple's servers to verify that the iOS you're installed is valid. If they're overloaded, you get an error bounceback.

Just try it again in 20 minutes, it should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Soot-fan

After updating iPhone 4 to iso5 I no longer have top 25 free apps in the apps store.
    Anyone else having this problem.

Ignore the above. It must be a bug. It's back now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Thedogsgone

Do you need to restore factory settings before updating to ios5 if your phone is jailbroken?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I'm surprised people are having so much difficulty with this - i did it last night, took about 2 hours in total. that included downloading and installing the latest version of iTunes, downloading iOS5, backing up my phone, installing the software and restoring my stuff back onto the phone...no issues, all good.

However, does anyone know how this iMessage thing works? I don't see any reference\icon for it on my phone. It was mentioned in the update text so it should be somewhere..

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Is it just me or is iOS5 slower than iOS4 on iPhone4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just got Find my iPhone to work on 3gs

Enable it in Setting/iCloud (at bottom)
    Then use apple ID on https://me.com/find/ if you haven't used it before.
    It'll take you to iCloud where you can use the Find feature.
    You can also message your phone, lock it and wipe if necessary.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

sparkey38 wrote: »
    As the title says..

I have an iTunes account (sign in with my gmail email address) , and a mobile me account (me.com email address)

When I installed the new ios5 to my iphone it asked for me to sign in with my 'Apple address'. I thought this should me my me.com sign in details , for iCloud. But now I have set my phone up with this account and when I go to app store and /or itunes it has my mobile me and not my itunes account details.

Please help. How do I fix this. Will Apple merge my two accounts??

Not at the moment, no. But it's been rumored they are working on a way to allow people to merge accounts. I'd recommend you use your original Apple ID account for iCloud since that has all your purchases on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

However, does anyone know how this iMessage thing works? I don't see any reference\icon for it on my phone. It was mentioned in the update text so it should be somewhere..

Thanks

It's built into messages. Just go to a contact you know has iOS5, go to type a message and you should see a 'iMessage' in the text box. Also, iMessage bubbles are blue and SMS are green.

It's pretty cool. Has delivery reports too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Not at the moment, no. But it's been rumored they are working on a way to allow people to merge accounts. I'd recommend you use your original Apple ID account for iCloud since that has all your purchases on it.

I don't think he can use his Gmail ID now. Afaik you have to wait 90 days before you can change Apple ID's. I ran into a similar problem. But luckily I cancelled it first. I'm now trying to find a way to have just one ID accross the board. Was going to just switch to the @me account. But when I tried to go into my account and change my email address it told me iCloud was in use with another service. Only problem I've run into really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sparkey38

Thanks.

Is there a way to retrospectively do that. I've already set it up with the newer me.com account. ie I put that account info in when setting up the phone on ios5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

eirlink wrote: »

What stress ! im So used to the connect to itunes screen that i know my device is at least connected to my mac......once there cupertino knows im alive !!

enjoy iOS 5 my friend

I've never had that happen!! I was embarrassingly close to tears!! Really thought my phone was not gonna work!

Loving iOS5!! Loads of really cool updates!! Loving the message notification while in another application! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

After > 20 attempts to update ipad2 last night, what's with the backup every time!!! I decided I'd leave it until this morning, Got up early and did it, worked first time, it was obviously a case of Apple servers being busy last night. I didnt get much of a chance to experiment, had to go to work. Anyone discovering any huge benefits.
    I will try my iphone this evening, it is more critical than the ipad.

Advertisement