Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iOS5 - Download, Installation, Errors

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

Bloody hell :eek: no way am I updating my antique 3GS for a while. Wotta load of horror stories!!!

Any successes - albeit after 2 hrs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Dam34

Stupid question of the Thread but how do you 'backup' up iphone before installing the software update.

Just want to ensure I have all my contacts, app etc when I'm finished..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Dam34 wrote: »
    Stupid question of the Thread but how do you 'backup' up iphone before installing the software update.

Once you sync, it does an automatic back up, mine does without doing any additional action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Dam34 wrote: »

You can right click on your iPhone's name in the side bar of iTunes and it will give you the option to manually back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭SEORG

Seriously worried now, iTunes doesn't pick up my phone and it's stuck in a cycle where I get the apple logo, then a status bar for a second and then a circular rotating "please wait" style symbol in the middle of the screen for about 2 minutes then it reboots.

Please someone help!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

DubDJ wrote: »
    I don't think he can use his Gmail ID now. Afaik you have to wait 90 days before you can change Apple ID's. I ran into a similar problem. But luckily I cancelled it first.
    You can change Apple IDs. The device only becomes locked to an Apple ID for 90 days if you "associate" it with that Apple ID. Associate means that you download past purchases on it. This is to prevent people sharing their iTunes/App Store purchases with other other users. Provided you haven't done this, there's no problem signing in with another Apple ID. In this case, sparkey's MobileMe account wouldn't have previously had an Apple ID, so there wouldn't have been any previous purchases on it.
    I'm now trying to find a way to have just one ID accross the board. Was going to just switch to the @me account. But when I tried to go into my account and change my email address it told me iCloud was in use with another service. Only problem I've run into really.
    As I said, there's currently no way to merge accounts, but Apple are said to be working on it. I'd recommend sticking with your original Apple ID (with past purchases) for the time being.
    sparkey38 wrote: »
    Thanks.

Is there a way to retrospectively do that. I've already set it up with the newer me.com account. ie I put that account info in when setting up the phone on ios5.
    Just sign out of the iCloud account in Settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

irlrobins wrote: »
    Is it just me or is iOS5 slower than iOS4 on iPhone4?

Every so slightly i think. There is the slight glitch every now and again that never happened in iOS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Nibs05

SEORG wrote: »
    Seriously worried now, iTunes doesn't pick up my phone and it's stuck in a cycle where I get the apple logo, then a status bar for a second and then a circular rotating "please wait" style symbol in the middle of the screen for about 2 minutes then it reboots.

Please someone help!!

Disconnect the iPhone from the USB but keep the USB plugged into the computer.
    Get your phone into dfu mode.
    Hold down the home button while connecting back to the USB and don't let go, should get your phone back onto iTunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sparkey38

You can change Apple IDs. The device only becomes locked to an Apple ID for 90 days if you "associate" it with that Apple ID. Associate means that you download past purchases on it. This is to prevent people sharing their iTunes/App Store purchases with other other users. Provided you haven't done this, there's no problem signing in with another Apple ID. In this case, sparkey's MobileMe account wouldn't have previously had an Apple ID, so there wouldn't have been any previous purchases on it.

As I said, there's currently no way to merge accounts, but Apple are said to be working on it. I'd recommend sticking with your original Apple ID (with past purchases) for the time being.

Just sign out of the iCloud account in Settings.

Great.

I just did that and it appeared to be working ok. It set up an icloud for my gmail account. I'm not sure exactly what implications that will have on my phone / itunes account, but it seems to be syncing ok with my music, apps, etc for the moment.

Should I try to just delete the me.com account altogether, and work solely with the gmail registered account? Or is it necessary to have a me.com account also. As far as I know I haven't bought anything using the me.com account.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

iregk wrote: »
    Every so slightly i think. There is the slight glitch every now and again that never happened in iOS4.

Yeah i see the same. Maybe it's just configuring itself the first time I launch an app. See how it goes over the first few days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

sparkey38 wrote: »
    just did that and it appeared to be working ok. It set up an icloud for my gmail account. I'm not sure exactly what implications that will have on my phone / itunes account, but it seems to be syncing ok with my music, apps, etc for the moment.
    iCloud is connected to your Apple ID. So your sign-in details for iCloud and iTunes/App Store should be the same. It doesn't have any consequence apart from conveniently keeping everything under the same ID.
    Should I try to just delete the me.com account altogether, and work solely with the gmail registered account? Or is it necessary to have a me.com account also. As far as I know I haven't bought anything using the me.com account.
    You mean your former MobileMe account? Do you not need the email address? If so, hang on and see if Apple offer a way to merge them with an existing Apple ID.

Nibs05 wrote: »
    Disconnect the iPhone from the USB but keep the USB plugged into the computer.
    Get your phone into dfu mode.
    Hold down the home button while connecting back to the USB and don't let go, should get your phone back onto iTunes.

Got it to back onto iTunes, now getting a 3194 error when restoring. 5 times so far!

Edit: got it working.

There was an entry in my hosts file for apple (74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com).
    I don't know why it was there but I closed iTunes and then I removed it (just the apple entry).
    I also commented out an other entries there ('#' at the beginning of the line) leaving just a local host entry.
    I then saved the file, restarted my machine & started iTunes, connected the iPhone and away we went.
    I got one other error (14) but just started the Restore process again and now it's working fine, iOS5 installed and iCloud working.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭coolegrain

question -
    on my iphone (it was a nightmare updating it to ios5 last night, but seems ok now) icloud works ok....well, it backed up fine.

on the ipad though when i turn on icloud (through settings) it says "icloud backup failed" "there was a problem enabling icloud backup"

whats the malfunction there ?

also, is there a way of going in and looking at the contents of icloud backup ?

thanks in advance for any answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭loinnsigh

Wow - a lot of tales of woe here!
    For what it's worth, my iPhone4 update worked perfectly smoothly - took about an hour in all. Same for iPad2.

I love:
    • Notification Centre
    • Location-based reminders
    • Instant access to the camera from the lock screen
    • OTA Sync
    I like:
    • Tabbed browsing in Safari on iPad
    • Twitter integration
    Yet to figure out:
    • Newsstand (probably not much use to me)
    • How to sync reminders with Outlook tasks

Re: Newstand, open it and tap on store. The Guardian is free for a couple of months. There are other magazines you can download/subscribe to as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Worked first try on iPhone 4 this morning. Left iPad updating and am in work now so will report on that later!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭kingshankly

when setting up my cloud account i left out a letter in my email address how can I edit this

when setting up my cloud account i left out a letter in my email address how can I edit this

You mean the free @me.com email address? Or do you mean your Apple ID you use to sign in with?

coolegrain wrote: »
    question -
    on my iphone (it was a nightmare updating it to ios5 last night, but seems ok now) icloud works ok....well, it backed up fine.

on the ipad though when i turn on icloud (through settings) it says "icloud backup failed" "there was a problem enabling icloud backup"

whats the malfunction there ?

also, is there a way of going in and looking at the contents of icloud backup ?

thanks in advance for any answers

just to add something else i am scratching my head over...on 'find my friends' app on the ipad its got my sons name as me instead of me.....i've checked my apple i.d. and all is correct with my details.....what could cause that ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

coolegrain wrote: »
    just to add something else i am scratching my head over...on 'find my friends' app on the ipad its got my sons name as me instead of me.....i've checked my apple i.d. and all is correct with my details.....what could cause that ??
    If you're syncing the two devices with iTunes on the same windows account, this info often gets crossed and messed up. It's a PITA tbh. I'm considering creating a second user account on my home machine, just to stop cross-syncing mine and my wife's iPhones.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    If you're syncing the two devices with iTunes on the same windows account, this info often gets crossed and messed up. It's a PITA tbh. I'm considering creating a second user account on my home machine, just to stop cross-syncing mine and my wife's iPhones.

i don't mind ME seeing the wrong name...but is that the name that will show for others with the app if they look for me ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭loinnsigh

Re: Newstand, open it and tap on store. The Guardian is free for a couple of months. There are other magazines you can download/subscribe to as well.

Will give it a lash, thanks for the recommendation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Just wondering if this is the same error message that other people are getting or am I doing something wrong myself????

Its error 3194, an unknown error has occured....

I'm guessing its because the apple servers are so busy, but maybe its something I am doing that is incorrect????

Ok I'm seriously starting to think the problem I am having is something different to everyone else, I mean I've spent at least 4 hours last night at this & about another 4 or 5 this morning with the same result....

:mad:

Any suggestions???

Ok I'm seriously starting to think the problem I am having is something different to everyone else, I mean I've spent at least 4 hours last night at this & about another 4 or 5 this morning with the same result....

Any suggestions???

Were you jailbroken? See if this is any help:

http://tftb.net/2011/10/13/fixing-itunes-error-while-upgrading-to-ios5/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Hey Professor, I had a jailbroken iphone at one stage, not this one but I'm currently trying those steps you have pointed out to me!

Thanks, will let you know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Just in regards to iCloud and the Apple ID. If I use my existing Gmail account for everything won't I lose out on certain things? I remember I had to use an @me account for turning on Mail syncing and Documents in the Cloud as well I think. Not too sure it was back in the Beta days.

DubDJ wrote: »
    Just in regards to iCloud and the Apple ID. If I use my existing Gmail account for everything won't I lose out on certain things? I remember I had to use an @me account for turning on Mail syncing and Documents in the Cloud as well I think. Not too sure it was back in the Beta days.
    So you have two accounts: an Apple ID for iTunes/App Store and a MobileMe account, is that right? Or are you just talking about your Apple ID?

Your gmail address is your username for your Apple ID - that covers iTunes, the App Store and now iCloud. You can still create a @me email address as part of it.

Paid-for MobileMe accounts used to be completely separate to the Apple ID, but now they all have an Apple ID associated with them. This means that MobileMe users now have two Apple ID accounts. This is actually a disaster in the making and Apple need to move fast to do something about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Afternoon,

Searched thread but looking for advice from anyone with ipad1 who has tried the iMessage feature. I have tried txt a friend today who has setup his iMessage on his iPhone, txt him on my own iPhone earlier & worked fine.

However, it won't let me send it on the iPad stating device I'm trying to message is not registered, anyone suffer same problem???

Had the same problem

There was an entry in my hosts file for apple (74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com).
    I don't know why it was there but I closed iTunes and then I removed it (just the apple entry).
    I also commented out an other entries there ('#' at the beginning of the line) leaving just a local host entry.
    I then saved the file, restarted my machine & started iTunes, connected the iPhone and away we went.
    I got one other error (14) but just started the Restore process again and now it's working fine, iOS5 installed and iCloud working

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭mdfire

I cant get icloud mail to work either. When I set up icloud the other night it asked me for an email address ending with @me.com and I chose one. I never had one before. I used my appleID and password and the account verifys ok.

When I go into icloud mail however I get the "user name and password for icloud is incorrect"

The @me.com address is greyed out in advanced settings so I cant alter that. Anyone know how I can change that?

Advertisement