Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iOS5 - Download, Installation, Errors

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

SEORG wrote: »
    Ok I'm seriously starting to think the problem I am having is something different to everyone else, I mean I've spent at least 4 hours last night at this & about another 4 or 5 this morning with the same result....

:mad:

Had the same problem

There was an entry in my hosts file for apple (74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com).
    I don't know why it was there but I closed iTunes and then I removed it (just the apple entry).
    I also commented out an other entries there ('#' at the beginning of the line) leaving just a local host entry.
    I then saved the file, restarted my machine & started iTunes, connected the iPhone and away we went.
    I got one other error (14) but just started the Restore process again and now it's working fine, iOS5 installed and iCloud working

How ya,

Any chance you could PM me what your host file looks like when you open it in notepad, that way I can just copy it to my one, I've a feeling this is the problem I am having alright

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

mdfire wrote: »
    I cant get icloud mail to work either. When I set up icloud the other night it asked me for an email address ending with @me.com and I chose one. I never had one before. I used my appleID and password and the account verifys ok.

When I go into icloud mail however I get the "user name and password for icloud is incorrect"

The @me.com address is greyed out in advanced settings so I cant alter that. Anyone know how I can change that?
    You can't change the @me address once you have set it up. And you should be logging into iCloud using your Apple ID. Your username is not your @me address but whatever email address you previously used.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭mdfire

You can't change the @me address once you have set it up. And you should be logging into iCloud using your Apple ID. Your username is not your @me address but whatever email address you previously used.

I am logging into icloud with my apple ID.

In settings > mail, contacts calender > accounts> icloud > account

my apple ID is displayed correctly. When I enter my password it verifies it. In advanced at the bottom (beneath storage plan) it displays the @me.com address. When I click on that it shows icloud account information and the address is shown as the @me.com which is greyed out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's the same for me, so I'm not sure why your iCloud mail isn't working. Are you getting this error message in the Mail app?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

Tried downloading a magazine on news stand and it won't load, anyone else had a problem?

Edit:Working

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭kingshankly

on setting up iCloud I left a letter out of my gmail address which is now my apple I'd. so can't use I tunes because I can't verify my email as that address doesn't exist.
    have tried changing my apple id but to no avail.
    any suggestions folks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

SEORG wrote: »
    Ok I'm seriously starting to think the problem I am having is something different to everyone else, I mean I've spent at least 4 hours last night at this & about another 4 or 5 this morning with the same result....

:mad:

Had the same problem

There was an entry in my hosts file for apple (74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com).
    I don't know why it was there but I closed iTunes and then I removed it (just the apple entry).
    I also commented out an other entries there ('#' at the beginning of the line) leaving just a local host entry.
    I then saved the file, restarted my machine & started iTunes, connected the iPhone and away we went.
    I got one other error (14) but just started the Restore process again and now it's working fine, iOS5 installed and iCloud working

THANKS A MILLION!!!!!

Solved the problem for me :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

So you have two accounts: an Apple ID for iTunes/App Store and a MobileMe account, is that right? Or are you just talking about your Apple ID?

Your gmail address is your username for your Apple ID - that covers iTunes, the App Store and now iCloud. You can still create a @me email address as part of it.

Paid-for MobileMe accounts used to be completely separate to the Apple ID, but now they all have an Apple ID associated with them. This means that MobileMe users now have two Apple ID accounts. This is actually a disaster in the making and Apple need to move fast to do something about it.

Sorry i'll give a bit more detail. I have a Gmail account which i've used for the past few years with iTunes etc. as my Apple ID. That's fine and all my purchases etc are related to that account.

However while it was in Beta as I was setting up iCloud on iOS 5 it asked me for an @me account for using the Mail part of it. It said that the account is free so I went ahead and set it up. All the other parts in iCloud I was able to turn on but it was just the Mail one that when I slid the switch to on the dialogue box popped up asking to login with an @me account.

I've switched everything back over to my previous Apple ID (Gmail one). And the same on my computer I logged in using the Gmail one. But i'm still not able to turn on Mail in iCloud.

Not a big deal now as I don't think Mail is a particularly important part for me. What I was gonna do is switch the email linked to my Apple account from Gmail to the @me account. Just so I cloud have everything working and linked to the one account. So for example have iCloud logged in and the Store account logged in using the @me account. But I got an error and it wouldn't let me use that account. I'm fine for now anyways using the excisting Apple ID I have.

Edit: Notes also requires an @me account

DubDJ wrote: »
    Sorry i'll give a bit more detail. I have a Gmail account which i've used for the past few years with iTunes etc. as my Apple ID. That's fine and all my purchases etc are related to that account.

However while it was in Beta as I was setting up iCloud on iOS 5 it asked me for an @me account for using the Mail part of it. It said that the account is free so I went ahead and set it up. All the other parts in iCloud I was able to turn on but it was just the Mail one that when I slid the switch to on the dialogue box popped up asking to login with an @me account.

I've switched everything back over to my previous Apple ID (Gmail one). And the same on my computer I logged in using the Gmail one. But i'm still not able to turn on Mail in iCloud.

Not a big deal now as I don't think Mail is a particularly important part for me. What I was gonna do is switch the email linked to my Apple account from Gmail to the @me account. Just so I cloud have everything working and linked to the one account. So for example have iCloud logged in and the Store account logged in using the @me account. But I got an error and it wouldn't let me use that account. I'm fine for now anyways using the excisting Apple ID I have.
    The @me account you created is part of your Apple ID/iCloud account. You should never have to use the @me address to login into anything - just use your Apple ID (i.e. your Gmail address). There's no need to change your Apple ID to use the @me address.

What happens when you slide Mail to "on" in iCloud settings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

Tried downloading a magazine on news stand and it won't load, anyone else had a problem?

Edit:Working

T3 keeps crashing on me if I try to view editions to buy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

T3 keeps crashing on me if I try to view editions to buy

It did that for me in relation to Xbox360 magazine but works now in fairness.

The @me account you created is part of your Apple ID/iCloud account. You should never have to use the @me address to login into anything - just use your Apple ID (i.e. your Gmail address). There's no need to change your Apple ID to use the @me address.

What happens when you slide Mail to "on" in iCloud settings?

I get a dialogue box that pops up and prompts me to create a new @me account to use it.

DubDJ wrote: »
    I get a dialogue box that pops up and prompts me to create a new @me account to use it.
    Well that would suggest that when you created the @me account during the beta that you did so as part of another Apple ID account - because otherwise it would remember it. Did you ever have a MobileMe account? Or other Apple IDs that you used - such as for accessing the US store or something? Maybe I misunderstood you, but the impression I got from your post above was that you only had one Apple ID.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I'm updated, but my phone is saying over capacity on itunes by 10gig. There is 13gig in "other" which is normally minimal data. Anyone else get this? I am afraid to touch it!

It's the same for me, so I'm not sure why your iCloud mail isn't working. Are you getting this error message in the Mail app?

Yes, when I go into the mail app I get the message. Both on iphone 4 and ipad 1

and in icloud.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭PapaQuebec

Anybody know if it's possible to get rid of the annoying "stock ticker" at the top of the notifications screen?

PapaQuebec wrote: »
    Anybody know if it's possible to get rid of the annoying "stock ticker" at the top of the notifications screen?

Found it - thanks anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

Having similar problems to some of the posts above, except mainly with notes. I don't have an option in Notes in settings to use with iCloud. Under the iCloud menu I have Notes turned to on(have everything turned on) but im missing some notes and can't tell it to look at iCloud from its within its own settings. Anyone else have this problem? (I had installed gm before and set up a @me.com account as required to use iCloud notes)

mdfire wrote: »
    Yes, when I go into the mail app I get the message. Both on iphone 4 and ipad 1

and in icloud.com
    Must be a bug. Leave it and see if it works itself out.

Can you even login into the main page (with contacts, calendar, etc) on iCloud.com using your Apple ID?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Maybe I'm just lucky, but mine went very smoothly around 11am today, but I dont really see much in the way of changes except for iCloud, which I probably wont use.

I was expecting a hoard of new things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

I failed to update both my iphone 4 and ipad 2 last night but did manage to download the software itself. This evening I am going to try to update and see how I get on.
    One thing I noted last night is that the backups were taking ages - how long was a 32 Gb phone or Ipad taking to backup - both have about 28gb of data on them ?
    How long is the restore taking - want to make sure I leave enough time to complete the process.

Any other hints and tips you would like to give after your experiences yesterday ?

Thanks,
    Tweaky

Well that would suggest that when you created the @me account during the beta that you did so as part of another Apple ID account - because otherwise it would remember it. Did you ever have a MobileMe account? Or other Apple IDs that you used - such as for accessing the US store or something? Maybe I misunderstood you, but the impression I got from your post above was that you only had one Apple ID.

Nope never had any other Apple ID's etc. I created the @me address on iCloud.com. Not sure it it makes any difference. So your saying the @me account should be linked to my Apple ID? I thought they were two completely different accounts.

Another problem for me is the weather app & widget isn't working. It just says failed to update. I'm tempted to restore my iPhone to see if this irons out any of the issues. I know with a little googling the weather app/widget problem isn't a widespread one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Hi

Anyone having any issues with Bluetooth since upgrading?

I use the Keynote Remote app on my phone to control the Keynote app on my iPad, but since updating the iOS on the iPad this morning I haven't been able to connect the two devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Tweaky wrote: »
    I failed to update both my iphone 4 and ipad 2 last night but did manage to download the software itself. This evening I am going to try to update and see how I get on.
    One thing I noted last night is that the backups were taking ages - how long was a 32 Gb phone or Ipad taking to backup - both have about 28gb of data on them ?
    How long is the restore taking - want to make sure I leave enough time to complete the process.

Any other hints and tips you would like to give after your experiences yesterday ?

Thanks,
    Tweaky

I have a 16gb iPhone that had about 12/13gb full. It took about 15 mins to backup.

The whole process, excluding time to download the software, of backing up and restoring took me about 30-35 mins at a guess.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Hi

Anyone having any issues with Bluetooth since upgrading?

I use the Keynote Remote app on my phone to control the Keynote app on my iPad, but since updating the iOS on the iPad this morning I haven't been able to connect the two devices.
    I was able to connect to my car stereo earlier and play music. Nothing fishy there, sorry!

Just discovered something strange about the new "iMessage" feature.
    I updated my iPhone 4 to iOS5 in the early hours with no problems at all, so a friend who has very poor broadband asked me to update his phone as well.
    His phone was jailbroken so had to restore it first. Update went lightning fast (though he lost a few apps).
    It seems the iMessage doesn't work for the initial message to a particular contact. I sent him a text and it was sent as a "normal" message from my phone, but the "send" button next to the text dialogue box on his phone immediately became blue. He replied and the same happened with my phone!! Seems the feature needs to receive a message from an iOS5 user before recognising them as such......

.... or maybe it's a glitch?

Can you even login into the main page (with contacts, calendar, etc) on iCloud.com using your Apple ID?

Yes I can log into the main page. I can use contacts, calender etc but not mail. When I try to log into mail I get a blue box saying eithe reload, report to apple or close mail :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

I'm having trouble with Mail on both the Mac and the iPad. iCloud.com doesn't open at all. Looks like there's a problem, although a calendar event transfers nicely from Mac to iPad. :confused:

There is a problem. This is up right now
    Might be worth bookmarking
    http://www.apple.com/support/icloud/systemstatus/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I have atomic clock app installed and I tried it today for my usual clock synchronizing.

So I casually put it back in my pocket and a few minutes later I took it out and it was hot HOT, the app was still running.

I have noticed this with the GPS map before but not with other apps ~ may or may not be due to iOS5 on the iPhone 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Jimdagym wrote: »
    I'm updated, but my phone is saying over capacity on itunes by 10gig. There is 13gig in "other" which is normally minimal data. Anyone else get this? I am afraid to touch it!

Yeah mine has 6 gig in other, no idea whats going on.

Advertisement