Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iOS5 - Download, Installation, Errors

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I wish id never started this update. Its taken forever, ive lost all my pictures and applications.
    Also it wouldnt let me do Icloud back up, anyone else having these issues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I've no doubt you'll get everything back lads. I got a new replacement phone about 6 weeks ago, with new SIM, and within a half an hour, everything on my old phone was on this one. If you've synched your phone at anytime recently, you'll be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    I wish id never started this update. Its taken forever, ive lost all my pictures and applications.
    Also it wouldnt let me do Icloud back up, anyone else having these issues?

It's a male appendage for sure. Eventually I only seems to have lost emails and calendar but it looked like I was losing apps and music and all data.

Have you registered for iCloud? You may need to download another app to the PC or Mac and register and activate iCloud ~ you won't know what you've lost until it's completed.

I'd be inclined to let it continue ~ a backup should have been made in the first instance, if you had not selected photos and data then these may not have been included but you won't know until you get a working iPhone and back it up again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

DubDJ wrote: »
    Nope never had any other Apple ID's etc. I created the @me address on iCloud.com. Not sure it it makes any difference. So your saying the @me account should be linked to my Apple ID? I thought they were two completely different accounts.
    Previously (when iCloud was MobileMe) they were separate. But not anymore. iCloud/Apple ID/@me are all the same account now. Same username and password for all of them. Since you created your @me account online, it's possible you actually created a separate Apple ID/iCloud account.

gbee wrote: »
    It's a male appendage for sure. Eventually I only seems to have lost emails and calendar but it looked like I was losing apps and music and all data.

Have you registered for iCloud? You may need to download another app to the PC or Mac and register and activate iCloud ~ you won't know what you've lost until it's completed.

I'd be inclined to let it continue ~ a backup should have been made in the first instance, if you had not selected photos and data then these may not have been included but you won't know until you get a working iPhone and back it up again.

I reegistered with icloud, but it still wont let me back up.
    Ive got my photos back just trying to work out how to get all my apps back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Dades wrote: »
    I was able to connect to my car stereo earlier and play music. Nothing fishy there, sorry!

Thanks for that.

I think the problem may actually be with the update to the Keynote app itself. The ipad is picking up devices around me when in bluetooth discovery mode, but it;s not picking up the presence a few inches away of my phone. Strange.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

mdfire wrote: »
    Yes I can log into the main page. I can use contacts, calender etc but not mail. When I try to log into mail I get a blue box saying eithe reload, report to apple or close mail :confused:
    DubTony wrote: »
    I'm having trouble with Mail on both the Mac and the iPad. iCloud.com doesn't open at all. Looks like there's a problem, although a calendar event transfers nicely from Mac to iPad. :confused:

There is a problem. This is up right now
    Might be worth bookmarking
    http://www.apple.com/support/icloud/systemstatus/
    Yeah, there's obviously an issue here. I experienced some problems with Mail as well. Not with my main Apple ID account but with an old MobileMe account I reactivated a few days ago. Mail didn't work at first. It's okay now though. Just teething issues, I guess. Hopefully Apple will get on top it soon or this will be another MobileMe fiasco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I reegistered with icloud, but it still wont let me back up.
    Ive got my photos back just trying to work out how to get all my apps back

That's good news for the photos. I see in iTunes that if you choose to backup to your PC ~ you disable iCloud ~ and apparently visa-versa.

I wish id stuck with the old version, i dont even know what i cloud is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I wish id stuck with the old version, i dont even know what i cloud is

Dunno either... All I know is I got a new email address.

• Advertisement

Dunno either... All I know is I got a new email address.

Do we? I dont even think i got that far.
    4 hours now trying to update this phone, im ready to throw it against wall

Macworld have a good overview of iCloud for anyone feeling a bit lost about what it does:

http://www.macworld.com/article/162963/2011/10/meet_icloud_apples_new_sync_service.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭d93c2inhxfok4y

Quick question from someone who hasn't updated the OS like this before:

I manually manage my iPhone in iTunes. I just drag and drop songs onto it as I want. The reason for this is that I have about 80GB of music and only 16GB on the iPhone so I need to be selective.

If I plug the phone in and back it up and update, does it matter if I'm not automatically syncing the phone? I'm pretty concerned about losing all my photos/notes/emails/texts/contacts etc.

I don't really care if it wipes the music from it as I can just put it back on through iTunes anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Both myself and a friend have ios5 now. The strange thing is when he texted me after setting up ios5, it arrived into my text messages under his email as opposed to his name and it wanted to me to add this as a contact.

Is there any reason why his texts are not just coming through as a normal imessage?

Trotter wrote: »
    Both myself and a friend have ios5 now. The strange thing is when he texted me after setting up ios5, it arrived into my text messages under his email as opposed to his name and it wanted to me to add this as a contact.

Is there any reason why his texts are not just coming through as a normal imessage?
    It's all the same. IMessage works off a person's Apple ID which has a record of both their number and email. This is what allows iPad and iPod users to send iMessages. You should add his email to his contact alongside his phone number. That should ensure his name shows up in future.

The fact you got it from his email might also indicate he sent it from another iOS device or was in airplane mode (with wifi on).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Ok Ive done that. It seems to have started a separate text conversation in my message inbox though. Is that normal?

Last night I got a text after I got ios5 installed from a person who had it before me. From that point on imessage took over and the messages turned blue but stayed in the same conversation.

His phone number isnt listed when he taps the 'receive at' section under his Apple ID in settings - messages. Is that a problem?

The fact you got it from his email might also indicate he sent it from another iOS device or was in airplane mode (with wifi on).

Definitely his iPhone this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭mdfire

DubDJ wrote: »
    Nope never had any other Apple ID's etc. I created the @me address on iCloud.com. Not sure it it makes any difference. So your saying the @me account should be linked to my Apple ID? I thought they were two completely different accounts.
    Previously (when iCloud was MobileMe) they were separate. But not anymore. iCloud/Apple ID/@me are all the same account now. Same username and password for all of them. Since you created your @me account online, it's possible you actually created a separate Apple ID/iCloud account.

I think this what i have done. Any idea on how to change the icloud email address associated with an apple id. Should have clicked use existing email address

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Made stupid mistake of trying again this morning before leaving for work, but it worked fine. Only hitch was a worry that I had deleted my backup as I think I removed the cable before it finished doing.. something.. It was quite stressful, but for a free update, worth it :)

I think this what i have done. Any idea on how to change the icloud email address associated with an apple id. Should have clicked use existing email address
    You can't change the @me address associated with your Apple ID. Nor do you have a choice to use an existing email address. You now have two Apple ID/iCloud accounts, so you are the same boat as many former MobileMe customers. If you want you can use one for iCloud and the other for purchases, but Apple don't recommend it. Or, if it's just the email you want, you could set that up manually in addition to your other iCloud email.

It's gets very confusing. I'm not sure what the consequences are of mixing accounts. If possible I'd encourage you to forget about the old email and use the one in your main Apple ID account. It's far more convent as it means you have iCloud, purchases and email all under the one account.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭franciec

You can't change the @me address associated with your Apple ID. Nor do you have a choice to use an existing email address. You now have two Apple ID/iCloud accounts, so you are the same boat as many former MobileMe customers. If you want you can use one for iCloud and the other for purchases, but Apple don't recommend it. Or, if it's just the email you want, you could set that up manually in addition to your other iCloud email.

It's gets very confusing. I'm not sure what the consequences are of mixing accounts. If possible I'd encourage you to forget about the old email and use the one in your main Apple ID account. It's far more convent as it means you have iCloud, purchases and email all under the one account.

I moved my @me.com to iCloud and got 20gb of iCloud storage til the end of June 2012. I also am using a different apple ID for the store and haven't found any problems having the two different accounts.

• Advertisement

I wouldnt mind but i cant do either.

I deleted the icloud account with the original apple id which is *@eircom.net and set up a new icloud account signing in with the me.com id. It verifies it and then the old eircom.net id appears with the me.com address at the bottom.

Is the anyway to contact apple direct to resolve?

I wouldnt mind but i cant do either.

I deleted the icloud account with the original apple id which is *@eircom.net and set up a new icloud account signing in with the me.com id. It verifies it and then the old eircom.net id appears with the me.com address at the bottom.

Is the anyway to contact apple direct to resolve?

I don't understand. Did the @me.com ID not sign in?

I don't understand. Did the @me.com ID not sign in?

Nope. Now heres the rub

I went into the appleid website which showed two email addresses with my acount. The primary email address which was eircom, was also my appleid.

There was an alternative email address shown which was the me.com address and it allowed me to delete it.

I did that, logged out and went back into settings, deleted icloud account, set up a new one with apple id and there was the old me.com address at the bottom!

I wonder do i need to do a restore on the device?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Help, im having trouble syncing my iphone4 (with the ios 5).
    My music has transfered, but my apps, contacts, email accounts, call history, txts etc.. havent.
    What am i doing wrong?? :(
    Can anyone talk me through a step by step transfer process.
    I got as far as itunes requesting a password for a backup from restore, i dont remember setting up a password and my itunes password wont work.
    Thanks in advance..

In that case, the @me address must be part of your original Apple ID. So there's no need to do anything. The old @me address is what you want, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Managed to get the apps across, but no joy with the rest.

In that case, the @me address must be part of your original Apple ID. So there's no need to do anything. The old @me address is what you want, right?

Nope. I set that up the other night when I set up icloud. I understood you got a free new email address so i took the option. I never had a me.com address before

Hmmm I'm completely confused now tbh. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭BrianJD

Help

My ipad is backing up for 40 minutes. Is this normal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Oh, one hitch, I've lost all my emails. Everything else like game stats and text messages were fine though.

Advertisement