Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iOS5 - Download, Installation, Errors

1202122232426»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Trotter wrote: »
    Both myself and a friend have ios5 now. The strange thing is when he texted me after setting up ios5, it arrived into my text messages under his email as opposed to his name and it wanted to me to add this as a contact.

Is there any reason why his texts are not just coming through as a normal imessage?

That is a "normal" iMessage. Your ID may be flagged by your number or the email address you associate it with. If you add your friend's address to his address book entry, his name will appear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 plonde

I can't get email to work properly on my iphone 3GS since the upgrade.

I can't send email from the phone and messages that do come in don't synch with my computer when I delete from either place.

I read on another form to delete iCloud. When I did, I lost everything: Contacts, etc. Fortunately, restoring it brought them back.

I've deleted and restored my email account on the the iphone, too and still it's not working.

Thoughts on what to do now?
    Thank you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

The main issue I see with IOS5 is that it keeps dropping the wi-fi connection when I'm watching "film on" every two mins, my wife is watching hers with no problem and mine was fine before the IOS5 update, hers is fine and she's still on IOS4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

2 issues since upgrading.
    Phone switches its self off now and again, sometimes 4 or 5 times a day and can be fine other days.
    And my dessid app has stopped working, I've deleted it and reinstalled from my iTunes but no joy, as it's not in the app store anymore there's no updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭DriversEd

i had trouble when upgrading also, which left me with an IOS 5 phone, contacts, but that was it.
    i went through without problems but when the process automatically moved to restore from the backup it created at the beginning, it asked me for a password!! i hadnt entered one! and if i did in the past, as i never got asked for it before at upgrades, i dont remember it!
    anyone else retrieve this password somehow? its still asking for it to finish upgrade properly at every time i sync, so i still have the option.
    any help appreciated.

ed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Reading through here there seems to be quite a lot of problems with people updating to ios5, bit worried now about losing contacts or messages. How do you do a back up these? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Reading through here there seems to be quite a lot of problems with people updating to ios5, bit worried now about losing contacts or messages. How do you do a back up these? :confused:

Back up before you start the update.
    Then when the phone finishes the update it will ask "Set up as new phone" or "Restore from backup".
    If you lose apps/music then go into the respective tabs in itunes with your phone finished and click Sync Apps.
    That bits a bugger cos for me it threw allmy apps out of the folders they were in and had about 8 or 9 screens of apps. Pain in the ass, but at least i didnt lose them or lose the data off them.

CMpunked wrote: »
    Back up before you start the update.
    Then when the phone finishes the update it will ask "Set up as new phone" or "Restore from backup".
    If you lose apps/music then go into the respective tabs in itunes with your phone finished and click Sync Apps.
    That bits a bugger cos for me it threw allmy apps out of the folders they were in and had about 8 or 9 screens of apps. Pain in the ass, but at least i didnt lose them or lose the data off them.

But how exactly do you back up or is it just a case of making a copy of all your photos and music? Is there an option like doing a system restore on windows where I could just choose to revert my phone back to a date pre-update? So do you choose 'Set up as new phone'' or ''Restore from backup''? :confused:

But how exactly do you back up or is it just a case of making a copy of all your photos and music? Is there an option like doing a system restore on windows where I could just choose to revert my phone back to a date pre-update? So do you choose 'Set up as new phone'' or ''Restore from backup''? :confused:

Connect your phone to itunes;
    right click on your phones name in the left hand pane;
    Choose "back up"(This will backup pictures, contacts, messages, app data, calanders, there could be more it backs up but i cant remember exactly.);
    Phone will do a back up;
    After the backup is finished, ie, the window ontop of itunes will return to an apple logo, update your phone.

When your phone finishes the update, in the phone pane on itunes will ask you if you want to set up as new phone or restore from backup.

Choose restore from backup and pick the most recent date it gives you.
    Ignore what it is saying on your phone screen for now. When your data amount bars return to normal then go through the options on your phone.

Badabingbadabam, Easy* iOS5!
    *Not too easy.

Connect your phone to itunes;
    right click on your phones name in the left hand pane;
    Choose "back up"(This will backup pictures, contacts, messages, app data, calanders, there could be more it backs up but i cant remember exactly.);
    Phone will do a back up;
    After the backup is finished, ie, the window ontop of itunes will return to an apple logo, update your phone.

When your phone finishes the update, in the phone pane on itunes will ask you if you want to set up as new phone or restore from backup.

Choose restore from backup and pick the most recent date it gives you.
    Ignore what it is saying on your phone screen for now. When your data amount bars return to normal then go through the options on your phone.

Badabingbadabam, Easy* iOS5!

*Not too easy.

Thank you, never thought to right click! :o Updating now, fingers crossed it goes smoothly.

• Advertisement

Iv lost most of my apps. :mad: Their not in my itunes either. 46 apps missing, some of which were paid for, to say I am pissed is an understatement. Any ideas on where they might be anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

Iv lost most of my apps. :mad: Their not in my itunes either. 46 apps missing, some of which were paid for, to say I am pissed is an understatement. Any ideas on where they might be anyone?

Go into the App store, hit updates, go to Purchased.

You will have to download them again though, which is annoying.

Go into the App store, hit updates, go to Purchased.

You will have to download them again though, which is annoying.

Thanks! Very annoying have to download them all again, at least I have wifi to download them over, wouldn't like to have to have to do it over 3G. Time consuming though. :(

Thanks! Very annoying have to download them all again, at least I have wifi to download them over, wouldn't like to have to have to do it over 3G. Time consuming though. :(

I actually have good enough 3G signal, don't know the difference half the time.

I actually have good enough 3G signal, don't know the difference half the time.

I have 2G or Edge if I'm lucky most of the time unless I go into one of the bigger towns near me then I'l get 3G. Ok for downloading emails but useless for everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

I was still in 2 minds re updating and after reading this thread there is no way I am doing it!!! I'll hold out for a few months till all the bugs are cleared!

It seems to be the 3gs that is having the most trouble with the update, mine is running seamlessly on my iphone4.

It seems to be the 3gs that is having the most trouble with the update, mine is running seamlessly on my iphone4.

There seems to have been quite a few problems with the 4 also, which is what I have. Though I suppose the people who've had successful update experiences don't post on here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Mine eventually worked, I beleive it was due to Apple Servers being overloaded

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭ASOT

Mine eventually worked, I beleive it was due to Apple Servers being overloaded

My push notifications still dont work with facebook :(

• Advertisement

ASOT wrote: »
    My push notifications still dont work with facebook :(

I think thats more a fault with facebook and its crap apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭ASOT

I think thats more a fault with facebook and its crap apps.

Yeah thats what i taugth but its not working with twitter either and a quick scan online shows a good few people are having this problem.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3383815?start=15&tstart=0

Has anyone had this problem or found a solution?? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Ive just noticed i dont have the ability to take pics from my lockscreen,no camera icon,any ideas?

Also,should i be able to swipe down from the top to bring me into the notification centre from lockscreen too? Because i cant.
    Theres a way of activating these features surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

barryd09 wrote: »
    Ive just noticed i dont have the ability to take pics from my lockscreen,no camera icon,any ideas?

Also,should i be able to swipe down from the top to bring me into the notification centre from lockscreen too? Because i cant.
    Theres a way of activating these features surely?

Double click you home button in the lock screen for the camera.
    And notifications can't be swiped down from the lock screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Double click you home button in the lock screen for the camera.
    And notifications can't be swiped down from the lock screen.

Cheers!!
    Must have imagined notification centre on the lockscreen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Think this has been the most buggy and messy update of all i've ever gotten. And it was the one I looked forward to most as well.

Weather app/widget doesn't update using 3G Data,
    Eats up a lot more data than it used to even though I don't have much set up that should effect it,
    Turned off photo stream but yet the folder still shows but when I turn it on two photo stream folders show neither can be deleted.
    Home button has become a lot more unresponsive since the update.

Also when I updated it stopped showing the iBooks covers. I uninstalled all iBooks on both my iPhone and iPad and reinstalled and it fixed the issue.
    Other than the above iBooks issue all the problems have been related to my iPhone 4.

Tried resetting, restoring etc. but no luck at all.

Plus it was a fecker of an update to download and install in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

PapaQuebec wrote: »
    Found it - thanks anyway!
    PapaQuebec wrote: »
    Anybody know if it's possible to get rid of the annoying "stock ticker" at the top of the notifications screen?

Can someone enlighten me as to how you stop this on the iPod Touch??
    Cheers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement