Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get baby onto beaker!?

Options
  • 07-10-2011 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I've been trying to get my son (almost 8 months) to drink from a beaker for the last 3 weeks....i offer it to him at all mealtimes, but he just refuses to drink from it.
    I've tried a freeflow & Tommee Tippee cup, he has drank from both once or twice, so he knows that he can get a drink from them, but he just refuses point blank now to put it near his mouth or let me feed him from it?
    Has anyone else had this problem or how long roughly does it take for a baby to get onto the beaker??:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Minxie123

Sorry I've not had the problem but just wondering if you've tried an open top cup like a doidy cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

What are you giving him in the beaker?
    I tried with water and even formula and the baby had none of it. Now I give her baby fruit juice and after a lot of perseverance she'll now drink from it. At the start I used to give a small bit from the beaker and then follow up with bottle because she wouldn't drink enough. Now I just use the beaker. (she only gets the beaker at one meal because she still has 3 bottles a day)

I have to use the freehold one because she just chews the other ones, and even now 6 weeks later the fast flow compared to bottle gets her, she'll take a sip, push it away and make a face, then as soon as she's swallowed look for it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Keep introducing it at mealtimes. Offer him the cup with every meal or snack and eventually he'll take it. He needs to associate the cup and food. I'd personally be wary of fruit juices before 1 year old. Get them used to water first otherwise getting them to drink plain water can be difficult.

I found with my son the very simple sippy cups worked best and once he associated the cup with food he was fine with it. The doidy cup is also a good suggestion. If you could get him straight onto a cup it would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

+1 on what How Strange said, just keep offering him the beaker with meals. When he takes a couple of bites give him the beaker, so he's thirsty and eventually he'll cop that if he's thirsty he can use his beaker.

What I did too was I'd sit him in his bouncy chair and give him the beaker, with just a small amount of drink in it so it wasn't too heavy for him and he picked it up eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 EJ80

thanks for suggestions, i've tried a few things in the cup...milk, juice, water!! I think i'll just have to keep offering it every day & eventually he may drink from it!! Perseverance eh!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement