Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reticle choice

Options
  • 07-10-2011 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Mil-dot, BDC, Fine plex.
    Whats your preferred reticle for varminting? I've always had mil-dots in the Bushnell scopes I've owned but I'm considering upgrading scopes (may have a vacancy on the HMR) and I like the uncluttered look of the fine plex.
    So for varmint sized targets, rabbit/pigeon/crow out around 200yds what would you have?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

lefthooker wrote: »
    Mil-dot, BDC, Fine plex.
    Whats your preferred reticle for varminting? I've always had mil-dots in the Bushnell scopes I've owned but I'm considering upgrading scopes (may have a vacancy on the HMR) and I like the uncluttered look of the fine plex.
    So for varmint sized targets out around 200yds what would you have?

Rabbit head is small, that is why I prefer a fine reticle out to 200 and beyond.
    Nightforce-NP-R2-Reticle.jpg

I'm assuming you want to shoot rabbits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Yes rabbits. And pigeons and crows when the crops are sown.
    I've nothing against mil-dot but understand what ya mean by small heads and a fine reticle at 200yds

Yes rabbits. And pigeons and crows when the crops are sown.
    I've nothing against mil-dot but understand what ya mean by small heads and a fine reticle at 200yds

Some guys love big old fat reticles.
    I love very small reticles so I can see more of what is going on in the frame.

I always said reticle choice is a very personal thing.
    I love illum, some guys hate it.

I never liked Mildots, but I have several friends that love them, each to his own.

My personal experience of rabbits is small any rabbit over 200 is hard to head shoot without a fine reticle and high mag, I nearly always use 32x if there is light to support it.

I have shot more rabbits than anything else, simply due to their availability in my environs
    I have used most of the major brands and took a lot of time locating a scope that fulfilled all my requirements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

Mil-dot, BDC, Fine plex.
    So for varmint sized targets, rabbit/pigeon/crow out around 200yds what would you have?
    Ok, I don't get any of that.

What you on about?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

He is asking about the prefered style of crosshairs in a rifle scope?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Comeraghshooter

Mil-dot, BDC, Fine plex.

IMO I would go standard Z-Plex, I just got rid of my nightforce with NP-R2 reticule and replaced it with a Zeiss with a Z-Plex reticule.
    I just find it easier to range the target and dial it in on the scope, i never used the NP-R2 reticule to judge range etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

One of the reasons I love the Burris line up is the Ballistic plex reticle.

I use it for deer, paper, varmints, and all.
    opplanet-burris-2x-7x-35mm-ballistic-plex-matte-black-fullfield-ii-scopes-2.png
    The new reticle has references for crosswinds.
    Burris-Ballistic-Plex-E1-Reticle.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

used to always go for a 30/30 or a no 4, but since i went for mildot im converted especially for vermin. i use hawke scopes and find the BRC
    excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭De_Tomaso

I prefer the following reticles:

MP-8 reticle from in IOR
    P4L in Schmidt&Bender
    Gen2 in Premier Reticles

I use the reticle both for distance calculations and for hold over. At the same time I almost never use the reticle for compensation wind drift. I always use FFP reticles.

Would however like to hear if many of you use BDC and similar reticles for holdovers and how you determine the distance and bullet drop?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

I tried using the mil-dot reticle for holdover but wasn't great at guestimating range. So bought a rangefinder and made a huge difference. Much easier to range a target reference a drop chart and dial in the required clicks

• Advertisement

I tried using the mil-dot reticle for holdover but wasn't great at guestimating range. So bought a rangefinder and made a huge difference. Much easier to range a target reference a drop chart and dial in the required clicks

My ret haa MOA indents so if you kbow range,use ballistic calc and it will show which line to use, very easy for holdover at almost any range, it is important to chrono your rounds first to be accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

I like a mildot myself. Or any version once its indents are in mrads. I'm sure I would get used to an moa indented reticle easy enough. Same craic only different number to multiply by in the equation.
    Prefer the reticle on the FFP too. That way I don't have to check I'm at the right mag setting before ranging.

I like a mildot myself. Or any version once its indents are in mrads. I'm sure I would get used to an moa indented reticle easy enough. Same craic only different number to multiply by in the equation.
    Prefer the reticle on the FFP too. That way I don't have to check I'm at the right mag setting before ranging.

Does anyone actually use the reticle for Range finding? I don't, but I am reasonably good at judging distance. Nightforce are SFP and are rated as one of the best long range scope in the world.
    I appreciate I am biased, but selecting a reticle for range finding ability on the highest power, vs a range finding Reticle on med power, or just by using a range finder is not a unique selling point for me

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Does anyone actually use the reticle for Range finding? I don't, but I am reasonably good at judging distance. Nightforce are SFP and are rated as one of the best long range scope in the world.
    I appreciate I am biased, but selecting a reticle for range finding ability on the highest power, vs a range finding Reticle on med power, or just by using a range finder is not a unique selling point for me

Anytime I'm faced with an opportunity at ranges over 200 yds I verify my guess using the mil dots to calculate range. It's actually really quick. The reason I prefer 1st focal is because the scope I have is 2nd and I have to leave it on 10x incase I want to range something. I think that FFP will give me one less thing to worry about before I pull the trigger because it doesn't matter what mag it's set at.
    It's all personal pref really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

My two NF NSX scopes have the hollow mil dot reticle/graticle, but is only correctly calibrated at the 'R' setting on the zoom - about x22. So I leave it right there. I don't do any game shooting in Yoorup, but I do a lot of shooting at unknown ranges in the area of practical shooting that I follow - out to about 650m or so. I was brought up in the military using the mil dot system, so find it easy to range using the graticle. Head-shooting rabbits at extended ranges as many of you do is a very skilled game, as from what little experience I have watching the little b&ggers they rarely keep still for long.

Shooting chucks over in OR and ID waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out there is a different story, of course, and not really a discussion point for this forum.

tac

Advertisement