Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best choice new phone

Options
  • 07-10-2011 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hi, i am looking into getting anew phone, but i would like some advice first from those in the know. Basically i use the phone alot for internet browsing, email, music, photos etc. So would like one that has has all these features as a basic. And i definatley want it to have a good internet browser, not bothered if its wlan / wifi. I want a phone that has some computer applications also. I need the screen to be a decent size and show good quality images and something over a 2megapixel camera would be preferable. I Dont mind if its touch screen as iv used them before, or qwerty, as thats what i have now. I am currently with meteor on pre pay but am not opposed to going back to a bill. I would either like to stay with meteor or would go with the new crowd- e mobile. And as for the price range, well im pretty flexiable there too so wont be put off by the more expensive phones (as you will see from the ones iv suggested below) I was thinking of the htc windows phone, a samsung galaxy or perhaps a blackberry. Any info or advice on the phones listed or alternative phones that would suit what im looking for. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

thanks captain morgan, had a look at the link and have now edited my original post so that it includes all the relevant info. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Thanks. Iv looked up th android phones and the galaxy. Like them both. Do you have either or know which is best? Btw, what does android phone actually mean?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Op, if you are that ignorant of what phone Operating Systems is/are , would you please take the time to go to Wikipedia and learn all about it/them.Then come back and you may be able to ask a more definitive question about what you are interested in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

qwertytlk wrote: »
    Thanks. Iv looked up th android phones and the galaxy. Like them both. Do you have either or know which is best? Btw, what does android phone actually mean?!

Android is Googles operating system. Pretty much like Windows vs Mac vs Linux.
    Microsoft has Windows Phone 7, Apple has iOS, Google has Android. Its an eco system that runs on the phone. They all look different and bring their own flavor to the game. Android has many different system overlays depending on the manufacturer. Windows Phone and iOS have a set strict requirements how the OS has to look. If you want to familiarize yourself and find the one that looks more suiting to you it might be a little bit easier to help you to find which direction to point you in. As each OS has its own advantages. Just need to find which ones suit you :)

There is no best operating system. Its all down to prefference in the end.

Best place to start research is on youtube :) save ya reading tons :)

Op, if you are that ignorant of what phone Operating Systems is/are , would you please take the time to go to Wikipedia and learn all about it/them.Then come back and you may be able to ask a more definitive question about what you are interested in.

excuse me? Are you really that ignorant? This forum os for askng questions, and questions are usually asked by people who dont already know the answers-thats the point of asking them. So in future if you dont like one of my threads then dont read or reply to them. Either that or dont be rude when you do. Thanks.

Evolutionq7, thanks for the reply and the vids. Realy helpful. Have been looking up meteor website etc and their new phones &specs and just wasnt sure exactley what 'android' refered to., but thanks to your informative reply im up to speed now so, much appreciated. Thanks again:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

[QUOTE This forum os for askng questions, and questions are usually asked by people who dont already know the answers.[/QUOTE]

Or are too lazy to just Google for an answer:rolleyes:

Sorry i dont even understand why you posted another unhelpful reply? If you will refer back to my original post, i was asking for peoples advice/opinions on the best phone in the shop atm. Did you ever think that maybe i wanted peoples actual opinions and experiences of using these phones, rather than reading an article? Anyway i dont even know why i am justifing myself to you, as i am perfectley entitled to post threads such as this one. So unless you have anything helpful to say which relates to my original post and the questions asked there then i would kindly ask you to refrain from replying with your unhelpful and sarcastic comments.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

There is no need to be quite so rude, this forum is for discussion, questions and you will end up putting off people posting.

I would go with the Galaxy S II :)

Hi angel01, thanks i feel the same re the rude poster. I dont understand why people reply to threads that they dont want to answer,or discuss the actual questions asked in the threads...obviousy nothing better to do!
    Re the phone, thinking of that or the new iphone. Have been looking it up on meteors website, nearly bought it online today but couldnt figure out the differece beween iphone and iphone 3gs. So just going to go in the shop i thinkk

qwertytlk wrote: »
    Hi angel01, thanks i feel the same re the rude poster. I dont understand why people reply to threads that they dont want to answer,or discuss the actual questions asked in the threads...obviousy nothing better to do!
    Re the phone, thinking of that or the new iphone. Have been looking it up on meteors website, nearly bought it online today but couldnt figure out the differece beween iphone and iphone 3gs. So just going to go in the shop i thinkk

iPhone 4 would have more advanced hardware than the 3GS Meaning it would run faster, nicer, smoother, Better camera, better screen.

If your really looking into getting the iPhone. iPhone 4S will launch in Ireland on the 28th of October. Which again will have improved hardware and software. So i think if you looking to get it now. Might as well hold out for another 19 days :)

Id personally think Windows Phone's and iPhones offer the best mobile experience (sure many would kill to prove me wrong on this forum). But both of them are slick and great consumer products.

But if i was you. Id hold till the end of the month. Lots of new great Nokia's are going to launch. New Google Nexus phone. New Windows Phones and ofcourse the iPhone 4S.

So if you want a device that wont be outdated in about a month id hold out a bit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 cathalod

after reading this thread I was just about to go out and get an s2.. But now I'm not sure... Do they normally bring out the latest and greatest for the christmas market.. If so.. Where should I be looking towards..

cathalod wrote: »
    after reading this thread I was just about to go out and get an s2.. But now I'm not sure... Do they normally bring out the latest and greatest for the christmas market.. If so.. Where should I be looking towards..

The only things left to look forward are New Nokia's, New Windows Phones's and a New Nexus phone from Google :) And that should all be clear by the end of this month :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Ethics11

iPhone 4 would have more advanced hardware than the 3GS Meaning it would run faster, nicer, smoother, Better camera, better screen.

If your really looking into getting the iPhone. iPhone 4S will launch in Ireland on the 28th of October. Which again will have improved hardware and software. So i think if you looking to get it now. Might as well hold out for another 19 days :)

Id personally think Windows Phone's and iPhones offer the best mobile experience (sure many would kill to prove me wrong on this forum). But both of them are slick and great consumer products.

But if i was you. Id hold till the end of the month. Lots of new great Nokia's are going to launch. New Google Nexus phone. New Windows Phones and ofcourse the iPhone 4S.

So if you want a device that wont be outdated in about a month id hold out a bit :)

Hey

Thanks for all the info. I'm just wondering if you've any idea how accurate your prediction for new phones is? My phone died so I was just gonna buy a Sensation or GS2 tomorrow, but if there's new phones coming out at the end of the month i might wait.

Will they be available on 3 do you know?

Ethics11 wrote: »
    Hey

Thanks for all the info. I'm just wondering if you've any idea how accurate your prediction for new phones is? My phone died so I was just gonna buy a Sensation or GS2 tomorrow, but if there's new phones coming out at the end of the month i might wait.

Will they be available on 3 do you know?

Theres Nokia World and Samsung and Google Events next week. Nokia unveils stuff at Nokia world as usual. And samsung has a commercial "something big is coming with a phone in it"

Hey but if your gonna swing the Android way i wouldnt wait. With Android theres always gonna be a newer phone with a spec sheet every couple of months.

So Samsung Galaxy Nexus was launched last night :) Its to be available around November. Its quite a nice phone :) Have a search around the internet or youtube and you will find lots of info :)

Most notable features 4.65" 720p Super Amoled HD display. 1.2 ghz TI Omap Processor and Ice Cream Sandwich :) Id take that any day over the TouchWiz on the S2 :)

ViewMedia?mgid=296270&vid=4

6 Days left till Nokia World :) worthy to wait to see what they are bring out. Especially when they look like this

Nokia-800-Blue.jpg
    Nokia-800-Black.jpg

Thats my next phone anyway :P

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

I'm not a fan of either WP7 or Android, but I smiled when I saw the "Roboto" screenshots. I'm kind of looking forward to seeing how Android's fanbase reacts to their favourite OS stealing so much of its new design language from Microsoft's "failure", Windows Phone 7.

Advertisement