Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just converted to UPC broadband

• 08-10-2011 3:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Basically I switched over today.

Installed it all. Fine and dandy. Nothing difficult about that. It's 25mb broadband I'm signed up to by the way

I go on speedtest and get 20.2-21.4 as my download speed generally. Great

Then I try and download stuff. Sometimes it's as low as 79kbps and holds at that rate for the the entirety of the download.

Other times it starts at 1.1(ish) MB/ps only to dip down to about 500kbps for the remainder of the download.

Sometimes it fluctuates between 500-700.

Can anyone explain this? I'm paying for 25mb broadband and getting basically the same download levels I got with 8mb eircom broadband.

Am I doing something wrong?

I'm living in Swords by the way in case that makes a difference.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Wired or wireless connection? Are you downloading from a fixed source, or a torrent? Grab an ISO image from Heanet, and watch how it goes. That will tell you a lot about your sustained download speed.

If you're basing your speed assessment on a torrent, then that's not a reliable method. Similarly if you're using a wireless connection then that can also cause issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

I found the same but I started using a download accelerator (it opens multiple connections to the server) and I now get around 1.8-2.2MBps on wifi which is pretty good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

what are you downloading? How are you downloading it? What web address are you downloading it from?

Advertisement