Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - teens hanging around apartment building landing

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Karede

Thanks again for all your replies guys.

So unfortunately its still going on. Friday Saturday and Sunday this weekend. On Saturday I went out to them and it was a gang of girls and they were standing there dropping glass bottle down the stairwell!!!??? I dont understand that behaviour. Their reply to me was "can you not remember what its like to be young"???(...Im in my mid twenties by the way)

Yes i did drink as a teenager but i didnt destroy peoples homes.

Anyway the management company are doing nothing. They just keep saying they are writing to the landlords but they dont know who it is so i dont know how.

The guards have been hugely unhelpful too. They told me that as the landing is a common area if someone is letting them in then they have a right to be there!!! I asked about the drink and drugs considering they are underage and they just said they would take it off them but there was nothing else they could do. My best option would be to set up a residents commitee.

Ive knocked into my 3 neighbours..only one answered and they dont want to get involved. They are foreign and I kind of dont blame them..they would get a lot more grief than I do I think.

So im only left with one option...Im gona have to move out. Im gutted because my apartment is perfect (inside :-))

Its just so unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

So there are people coming into a private complex and basically destroying the place and the management of the building dont care.

Move out, never look back. We have the odd graffiti problem in our lift area, its painted over within the week. I wouldnt accept that crap from anyone. Why cant they change the pin, Its probably a case now the original pin is known all around. Get them to change that first and send out notification to residents. This would surely help.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Never heard of that in pre telly days.Adults were clearly in charge but this do-as-you-please idea is destroying us.Nobody is in charge any more everybody's hands are tied ...there are many many stories around the country like this one i had one experience myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Oh also forgot to mention our building and area has security, which is great. They are at your door in 2minutes and ive even been on the end of it once. Music was a tad loud on house warming. (fair enough)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Karede wrote: »
    Thanks again for all your replies guys.

So unfortunately its still going on. Friday Saturday and Sunday this weekend. On Saturday I went out to them and it was a gang of girls and they were standing there dropping glass bottle down the stairwell!!!??? I dont understand that behaviour. Their reply to me was "can you not remember what its like to be young"???(...Im in my mid twenties by the way)

Yes i did drink as a teenager but i didnt destroy peoples homes.

Anyway the management company are doing nothing. They just keep saying they are writing to the landlords but they dont know who it is so i dont know how.

The guards have been hugely unhelpful too. They told me that as the landing is a common area if someone is letting them in then they have a right to be there!!! I asked about the drink and drugs considering they are underage and they just said they would take it off them but there was nothing else they could do. My best option would be to set up a residents commitee.

Ive knocked into my 3 neighbours..only one answered and they dont want to get involved. They are foreign and I kind of dont blame them..they would get a lot more grief than I do I think.

So im only left with one option...Im gona have to move out. Im gutted because my apartment is perfect (inside :-))

Its just so unfair.

Leave and be pleased you don't own the place.
    You will find another apartment just as nice as this one.
    Take care of yourself and don't confront them anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Your assertion that you love your apt and don't want to move is illogical. Frankly, if that stuff is allowed happen by other residents and if the management co are that useless the complex is only going to spiral into an even bigger kip. Praise the lord you don't own the place!

Are you the only one confronting these yobs? What about the other neighbours and well, your husband...shouldn't be all up to you.

You're gonna have to get hard-ass with the management company as suggested and make it their problem but if these things aren't nipped in the bud it makes things more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

It's maddening that the OP has felt forced to move out.
    Sorry i can't be more help OP but surely there must be an ombudsman-like figure for management companies/issues such as this.
    Just feel the OP shouldn't go without kicking up some kinda stink over this.

Sorry couldn't be more help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Karede wrote: »
    Hi guys, first time poster! Apologies in advance for long post...

Im so frustrated, any help will be much appreciated...I rent an apartment with my husband on the top floor of a medium to large apartment complex. As its the top floor there is a large landing area (as there is no further staircase going up)

This area on the landing has now become a magnet for the local teens. Gangs of them arrive and they are loud, distructive, disrespectful and to be perfectly honest little scumbags. They started hanging around here a few months ago. Each time i seen them i moved them on. They would reluctantly leave with just some verbal abuse. I emailed the management agency who said they would alter the hours of the cleaners to evenings so they could move them on but this didnt actually happen. After pestering from me they left for about 2 months but now they are back!

They are around 15/16 years of age and are drinking and smoking hash outside my door. They are writing on the walls and burning holes into the carpets. Ive tried having a chat with them and asking them to just not leave anything behind and to keep the noise down...they agree to my face but as soon as i go indoors its another story! Im only in my 20's myself and am not just some old crank with nothing better to do. Its mortifying bringing friends or family to my home at this stage but i absolutely love my apartment and its location and dont want to move.

After tonight i want to explode. Had a friend over havnt seen in ages. When my husband came in from work he said teens were on the landing and he moved them on. My friend left just awhile ago (late night) and when we went outside we discovered they had been back! Outside my door is numerous cases of empty beer. glass bottle lying everywhere. cigarettes stubbed into the floor, rubbish AND plenty of urine. Its awful!

One if the teens does live in the complex and has given his mates the codes to get in. His family wouldnt be the friendliest and it would be too daunting to approuch them. Landlord is gona do nothing. I dont want to move. What can i safely do? please help!

Call the damn police. These bastards are trespassing......or worse still they are intruders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

What a crazy situation . The OP is confronting gangs of teenagers who are drunk and stoned on the hall outside of her apartment . But it gets better . They are then expecting 2 of the most useless organisations in Ireland to sort it out , The Cops and a Apartment block management agency ??

You are renting , just move out . That situation is only going to get worse . It could end up with them attacking you or your husband or having your apartment broken into ( hopefully when you are not there .)

Move out , seriously .

FFS, She doesn't WANT to move out! She likes the flat and the location so let's give her advice that pertains to her staying and living in peace instead of the glib "just move out" crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

no solution to this problem is landlord/management company/gardai won't do anything.

Sorry, I'd just move out. Don't forget to tell your landlord why you're leaving though. Might finally get his finger out if he knows that he's losing a tenant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement