Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The phrase: "pass out" (=overtake)

• 08-10-2011 5:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭iptba

I was on a discussion board and somebody from the US didn't know what the phrase "pass out" meant e.g. John passed out Pat to take second place in the race; I passed out the car that was in front of me on the road (or, putting "out" after what is being overtaken: I passed the car out that was in front of me on the road).

I'm just curious whether it is acceptable in written English? Also, is it restricted to some countries or even would it not be understood by some/many/most Irish-born people whose first language is English? e.g. is it used mainly in some counties (I've lived all my life in Dublin). Other random thoughts* on it welcomed.

[I thought it was a common phrase but didn't find it in my (fairly big) dictionary from what I could see but perhaps that is because it was under pass?]

*that aren't insults, I suppose I should say.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭iptba

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    Thanks. Familiar with that usage. That was the only meaning the person from the US knew of.

---
    [Aside: My confidence in phrases I use decreased a bit when I learned that "to give out" = "to complain" is actually a Hiberno-English word. I'm hearing that all the time now but still trying to remember not to use it when talking to people outside Ireland].
    ---

Here are two boardsies using it:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51288383&postcount=1
    i was coming home 2 day and we were in traffic and the man in front of use car broke down i was in the car with my momnd we got out to see if we could help then this fela in a car just started to beep and passed the car out and then another man in a car passed him out so i was helpin the fella to push his car and the only other people that would help were two polish lads behind us,i taut we were suposed to be a helpful nation

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68741430&postcount=1
    If I had been driving behind the truck in the left lane and passed him out then I'd say no problem Guard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Iptba has it right, its an Irish expression, though one that is so obvious that I would think most people would not even comment on it.

• I've only ever heard it used in Ireland, but you'd have to be pretty dim not to understand it from the context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I've only ever heard it used in Ireland, but you'd have to be pretty dim not to understand it from the context.

OP said the person who didn't understand was from the US.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Does the other transitive form "pass out" not exist elsewhere as in "Alphonse passed out the leaflets"?

Advertisement