Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fixing floorboards to batons

• 08-10-2011 9:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

I want to lay 90x18mm red deal floorboards onto 20mm batons on top of fully dried and dampcoursed 70mm screed Should I glue,as well as secret nail the boards to the batons?-if so, then what brand of adhesive is best.and what type of nail do I use if nailing by hand{room to small to be hiring porternailer].Also,should I be glueing as well as using screws/rawplugs to fix the batons to the screed?-if so what type of adhesive?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mick121

my advice would be to hire a porta nailer.the nails for the gun are serated and get a good grip.be prepared for some lower back pain after a hard day bent over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

Thanks for advice Mick.Is the 20mm baton thick enough to recieve the portanailer nail?Also,is any glue needed anywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

dont glue them they need to expand & contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

A few flooring clamps will help get a tight joint before nailing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

We got a guy in about 6yr ago to put down our floor and he cut 20mm wide strips from sheets of 3/4" thick 8x4 marine ply. It worked out cheaper than buying batons.

He just glued them to the concrete floor using Gun-o-prene adhesive and then secret nailed the floor boards (no glue)

Worked well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mick121

yes 20mil batten is sound enough for use with porta nailer.glue not necessary.fix battens every 400mils.drill,plug and screw battens down.i wouldnt glue them to floor myself.make sure there aint no pipes under floor where your drilling.they should be well burried but sometimes they are near the surface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

Thanks for advice everyone....so,I think I will screw and plug batons.but use gun-o-prene on areas over rising pipework and in places where I cant use the drill(under stairs and behind radiators).Use portanailer and NO glue on boards.Im not sure,but I dunno if the clamper would grip onto the batons-I think they need a proper floor joist to grip onto.Like the idea of marine ply(damp not an issue but might provide a better grip for nails?}-will find out price, would have to be less than 36 euro a sheet to beat the price of treated roofing batons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Be extremely careful of nailing into the concrete floor. We've just had a leak repaired, at considerable expense and inconvenience, that was caused by a nail which went through a pipe under a timber floor. Floor was laid about 5 years ago and the contractor nailed a baton through the pipe running towards radiator. Slow leak over the years only came to light lately. Section of floor had to be taken up, concrete removed and pipes replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I think you'll be ok to just glue the battons down...we've not had any problems

Saves you time and no risk to pipework beneath

Advertisement