Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV: Camera + DVR recommendation for home use

Options
  • 08-10-2011 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,

Looking for recommendations and advice on CCTV systems(domestic use).
    From the experts in this area what would you recommend as one of best systems available without having to sell arm and a leg (i fully appreciate you get what you pay for concept!)

Resolution would be key and I know most people want to be able to read the DNA of people who may be prowling on their property!! I'm a realist and understand this technology has limitations and from what I see the standard would be d1 min? ...So obviously this is going to influence camera and DVR integration, i.e you can have best camera in the world but your recording device capability is going to really decide what you get at the end of the day when trying to catch the baddies.
    I am trying to read into this technology with all the TVL Vs FPs + DVR storage debates currently and find myself a bit swamped by data when I do some research.
    Again the whole IP (MP) CCTV systems do offer superior resolution however the cost of such a system for domestic use is a bit out of range unless you have a VIP wage packet...which I dont!!

Now again I know guys look for a background on where and what application specifically the system is going, I'm not trying to pitch this thread as a "tailor my cctv system" more "look recce this is a good system meets most requirements.... however this is a REALLY good system if you can afford it". Looking for expert direction and experience really.

So again. this question is probably as clear as mud but if you could contribute some advice I would be grateful.

Cheers Guys...great forum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Here you go, This system will cover you if you want a good system, price wise you can buy full kits for the price of this unit alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

altor wrote: »
    Here you go, This system will cover you if you want a good system, price wise you can buy full kits for the price of this unit alone.
    What cameras do you recommend for this system? (links please? :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 6 recce_one

Thanks Altor,

The capacity of that machine is 500GB, if I want to record at say 25-30fps would I need more capacity, 3-4 TB? if I want good quality resolution and storage for up to 3 weeks recording time? Or is that a realistic ask?

The camera's obviously as the eyes of the system are the key component any guidance on them greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

You can put in up to 4TB into the DVR but that does not mean it is the capacity as external hard drives can be used to add days, months or years to any systems viewing capability's.

The cameras would depend of what you want them for. What I would suggest is getting installers to look at what you want to view and go through the different types of cameras available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Have a look at cctv direct, their own brand of dvrs get some good reviews and their twilight cameras are pretty good.
    One good thing about the twilights is that the Ir does not wash out peoples faces

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 recce_one

Thanks Jnealon,

I have been studying the equipment available on that site also. Have you used them yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

No I don't use them but I know others who do.
    The dvrs get good reviews in the trade magazines and I have seen the twilight cameras in action before

Advertisement