Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulating external wall in garage

Options
  • 08-10-2011 10:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I have a garage attached to the first floor of house. Thinking about a simple insulation using 50 or 75mm of Aeroboard, without any render etc to improve insulation of lounge. Can I just use adhesive to attach to wall? Any need for an air gap? Can I just butt the boards together without using battens? Any concerns about fire proofing for such an installation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

Can I just use adhesive to attach to wall?

Yes.
    Any need for an air gap?

No.
    Can I just butt the boards together without using battens?

Yes.
    Any concerns about fire proofing for such an installation?

No. But it needs to be done and not forgotten!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 trifler

Thanks Heinblod,
    Fire proofing "needs to be done". What would that entail? Should I use a fire-retardant insulation material rather than Aeroboard, or use something over the Aeroboard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

Maybe you would consider insulation with the plasterboard on it, readily available in any merchants, and bond the thermalboards to the wall with bonding compound, no reason in the world not to use bonding compound, then just fill you joints and paint, (though fire regs require the board to be mechanically fixed, all be it one row,)

The added cost of the plaster will only be an extra 8/10 euros per sheet though will give you a great barrier against any fire, the bare sheet of insulation will go up like a shot if any flame gets near it, and the fumes are worst then the flames........

Just to clarify, that the thermal boards are one application, and not two separate sheets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

The standard material for the DIYer would be red plaster board.
    Check the manufacturer's home pages on how to use it, thickness, type of glue etc...
    You could also plaster straight over the EPS boards, but this needs propably a mesh to be worked in as well. And a fire rated type of plaster - of course.
    The red plaster boards are easier for the DIYer, will give aditional accustic benefits and a hold-fast for plugs.

PS
    Martin was faster...
    The plaster board should not be blobbed and dotted but glued over it's entire surface, for exampel with a toothed trowel. This avoids hot gases being transported/raising between plaster board and EPS. Again: read the manufacturer's instructions.

In theory you could use fire rated EPS boards as well, maybe without aditional plastering/protection. But these are usually made with hazardous fire retardent, another problem to be loocked at.
    The combination of standard EPS and red (fire rated) plaster board is in my opinium to be prefered.

Advertisement