Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entitlements at home

Options
  • 08-10-2011 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

Hey All,

It looks like i may have to go home and i was wondering am i entitled to get the dole or rent allowance i have only been out of Ireland for 10 months??

I fully intend to find work, just wondering as i have been told i wont get it because i left for Oz which i think is a bit hard to believe!

I was on it for 4 months before i left if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Would also be interested in this. I was working for 5 years before I left Ireland and will be back in two weeks. I think Im still working off 2010 tax credits but Im not too sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

if you Leave Australia of your own acord then You will get nothing, thats what I was told when I came back, Fortunatley for me I was Booted out, but if you have time left on your Visa you wont get the Dole is my understanding of the curent situation

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

when you say get nothing, it hardly means for years. Im wondering is it like if you quit a job your not entitled to the dole for a few weeks or months or whatever it is.
    Is it the same if you come back that there is a time limit or can you sign on straight away?!
    Not trying to sound cheap as i said il be looking for work ASAP but just incase!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Nothing, that means NOTHING, you gave up the opportunity to remain in Australia and returned home, KNOWING that theres no Work in this country, AFAIK you get Nothing, however if you sit out the few months you have left then you should get something, unles you didnt do your second year,that would stand against you too.

Basicly, This Country is BROKE, its utterely F*cked, We have no Money, anyone willingly giving up on opportunity abroad to return here is Viewed as a Lazy git intent on Sponging off the State, and therefore you will get NOTHING, you will say that you intend to get a Job, then you better hope to Christ you do, cos theres nothing here for you if you cant

thats a lot of capitals there KID. You know nothing of why im comming home.

Simple question do you get anything and how long does it take?
    One year in Australia hardly looses all benefits for the rest of your life.

From your posts and being booted out as you put it, you dont know the answers thanks for the imput you've been great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Paige Turner

From looking at:
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/swa_habres.aspx

it seems that if the habitual residence condition is met, you will be entitled to it.

5.2 - Length and purpose of any absence from Ireland
    Habitual residence may be lost where a person spends time away. This may apply in the case of an Irish national who gains stable employment abroad, or a non-national who returns to his/her own country or settles in a third country following a period of residence here. Status as a former worker under EC law (see Paragraph 6.2 below) is lost when such a person leaves the country.

Infrequent return visits or the purchase of a home abroad may point to transfer of habitual residence. On the other hand, established habitual residents of Ireland who have periods of temporary or occasional absence may still be habitually resident during such absences. If a person who is working abroad returns at regular intervals to Ireland e.g. to visit family or because a home has been retained here, it is possible that habitual residence in Ireland has not been lost.

From their website, this seems to be what the deciding officer uses as a guideline:
    http://www.dsfa.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/habres.aspx

Returning migrants or Resuming previous residence
    A person who had previously been habitually resident in the State and who moved to live and work in another country and then resumes his/her long-term residence in the State may be regarded as being habitually resident immediately on his/her return to the State.

In determining the main centre of interest in such cases the DO should take account of:

purpose of return e.g. expiry of foreign residence permit
    the applicant's stated intentions
    verified arrangements which have been made in regard to returning on a long-term basis e.g. transfer of financial accounts and any other assets, termination of residence based entitlements in the other country, or assistance from Safe Home (see below) or a similar programme to enable Irish emigrants to return permanently
    length and continuity of the previous residence in the State
    the record of employment or self employment in another State and
    whether s/he has maintained links with the previous residence and can be regarded as resuming his/her previous residence rather than starting a new period of residence.
    Replies to the following questions may assist in determining whether an applicant has retained or resumed his or her main centre of interest in Ireland after a period spent abroad:

how long did the applicant live in Ireland before leaving?
    why did the applicant come to Ireland originally?
    when and why did the applicant leave Ireland?
    how long did the applicant remain or intend to remain abroad?
    did spouse/civil partner and children, if any, also leave Ireland?
    was accommodation retained in Ireland?
    if the applicant owned property in Ireland, was it let, and was the lease timed to coincide with the applicant's return to Ireland?
    what links did the applicant keep with Ireland?
    can the applicant verify cessation of employment, lease or rental agreement etc. abroad?
    when and why did the applicant return to Ireland?
    have there been other brief absences? If yes, obtain details.
    The following examples are acceptable as proof of permanent return to Ireland: (Allow 28 days for documentation to be submitted)

Documented evidence of transportation of personal possessions
    Proof of cessation of employment
    Proof of termination of lease on rented property or proof of sale of home
    Evidence of closure of financial accounts and transfer of funds
    Evidence of completion of studies abroad (where applicable)
    Copy of passport and expiration of visa at the time they returned

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

You should have no problem getting money. The problem is if you have been abroad for a continuous period of more than 2 years. This is because a rule was brought in that you had to be resident in Ireland in the previous 2 years to secure welfare. If you have stamps built up you will get them, not having to be assessed for the dole. Even if you haven't you shouldn't have a problem securing the dole once you're not asset rich. Even if your parents are, once you are over 24 I think it doesn't affect you. (I could be wrong on that age).
    Even though Ireland is bad there is at least the dole which you don't have in Oz or elsewhere to fall back on. If you're over 24 you will get the full amount of 200 odd. If you are under you will get half that. Not great but prices have fallen here a lot. A lot of the bars are selling imported draught beers now for €3.

Thanks Paige and Tiger exactly what i was looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

If you were in Australia on a WHV then you couldn't be considered to be in stable employment abroad as your visa conditions don't allow this as you can only work for six months with one employer.

Also its called a Working Holiday Visa and it is basically an extended holiday that you can subsidise by working for limited periods.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

if you Leave Australia of your own acord then You will get nothing, thats what I was told when I came back, Fortunatley for me I was Booted out, but if you have time left on your Visa you wont get the Dole is my understanding of the curent situation

No that is wrong, you will get dole as long as you can prove you lived in Ireland at any point in the last 2 years, it called habitual residence condition.
    Also this is only a guideline and most of the time even if you were away longer you will still get social welfare.

• Advertisement
Advertisement