Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quinces - where to buy them?

Options
  • 08-10-2011 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Well I've taken a notion to making some quince jelly after trying it for the first time during the summer, and I believe quinces are in season right now.

Does anyone know anywhere in Dublin city centre selling quinces?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 drykin

Fallon & Byrne on Exchequer Street definitely have them. I think they're €2.50 each..

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭emilyjmc

Thanks - €2.50 a pop is pretty steep!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19 drykin

I think it you'd need a lot of quinces to make a decent amount of jelly. F&B sell quince paste and jelly at the cheese counter. It's not cheap (€20 a kilo) but would probably work out being more cost efficient than making your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Zell

I brought 3 quince back from France two weeks ago because they are so plentiful in the markets there and I couldn't remember ever seeing them here. Imagine my astonishment/disgust when I saw them for sale at a fruit and veg stall on the main street in Drogheda last Friday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Zell wrote: »
    I brought 3 quince back from France two weeks ago because they are so plentiful in the markets there and I couldn't remember ever seeing them here. Imagine my astonishment/disgust when I saw them for sale at a fruit and veg stall on the main street in Drogheda last Friday!

Are they €2.50 each?

• Advertisement

you can buy quince jelly on this site. Free delivery in Dublin
    http://www.almacenargentino.com/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=87

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Zell

I don't know what price the quince were in Drogheda - I didn't ask because I had 3 at home!!! I'll enquire tomorrow though. There is an excellent variety of fruit and veg os sale there every Friday. Last week I bought a custard apple, can't remember it's proper name and it was delicious - another first for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 omould

Hello,
    Could you kindle tell me the name of the market and the address where you bought custard apples please. I haven't have one in ages and I love them!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

omould, this thread is way too old and the people who posted are unlikely to still be following it, so you'd be far better starting a new thread. Bear in mind though, that posters in this forum are scattered about so if you're looking for something in a particular region then it's best to post in the relevant regional forum.
    Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement