Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Sean Gallagher telling lies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

THE Fianna Fail party faithful descended on Ballina in their hundreds to launch the Dara Calleary election campaign on Friday night last.RTÉ Dragon’s Den star, Sean Gallagher, officially launched the campaign at a function in the Downhill House Hotel, describing Ballina’s outgoing Minister of State as ‘a fabulous, outstanding confident debater and communicator at all levels’.Mr Gallagher showered praise on the Ballina man, but also acknowledged that ‘Fianna Fail machine is sluggish’ adding that the current political system needs to be overhauled if the country is to emerge from economic recession.“I believe that Dara is the face of change in the political environment. We have seen that the political environment has not worked for the past number of years but politics is changing. What we have had up to now to get us here, will not work to get us to there in the future.  But it can change, and with people like Dara it will happen and it will work again,” he said.Referring to the economic crisis, Mr Gallagher added that while the political system has focused on the macro economics concerning such issues as gross domestic products in the recent past, it now ‘needs to turn its attention to the micro politics, because the majority of people live their lives in the micro economics of funding education, paying their mortgage and budgeting for their existence’.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

Yes.

So for that reason, I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Paddy De Plasterer

Gallagher is today caught telling further lies. He said he left Fianna Fail national executive in 2009, but according to story in to days Mail, he only left this past January just before General election. And he launched several FF campaigns in Feb, including Callearys, Ann Leonard in Monaghan and others. He is just a typical FF stooge who fled the nest when it became rotten and dirty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I do not know - but it is probable that he left because of his TV show particiapation.

So I do not think you can catergorically say he lied and a celebrity appearence by a celebrity to launch something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

raymon wrote: »
    Sean Gallagher is not telling the full truth about his very very recent involvement in FF in my opinion

There are various sightings of him at FF meetings up until a few months ago

This appearance was from February

[url]Http://mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11920:dragon-heralds-dara-as-the-face-of-change&catid=94:election-2011&Itemid=38[/url]

I don't like dishonest people

Where has he been dishonest. I have heard him on many occasions say that he has supported FF.
    Do you think he is denying that he supported FF?

• Advertisement

Where has he been dishonest. I have heard him on many occasions say that he has supported FF.
    Do you think he is denying that he supported FF?

What a liar this guy is he is still denying it.

http://www.herald.ie/news/gallagher-rejects-claim-he-was-involved-with-ff-up-to-january-2900375.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I'm still technically a member of Xtravision, even though I the last time I hired a DVD from them it was probably actually a video cassette.

So there may not be any real lie in what SG is saying here, just a question of semantics.

I'm still technically a member of Xtravision, even though I the last time I hired a DVD from them it was probably actually a video cassette.

So there may not be any real lie in what SG is saying here, just a question of semantics.

This liar was going door to door until recently, and giving FF speeches until Feb 11

I can't see anything inflamatory and relative to the outright whoppers Irish politicians are capable of he has nothing on Gilmore

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/letters/2010/1018/1224281343708.html

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2010/1009/1224280698939.html

In fact, his reticence causes me to be distrustful of Michael D Higgins and his associations.

On the candidates that are not candid are MMG & Norris and do not even pretend to be.

CDfm wrote: »
    I can't see anything inflamatory and relative to the outright whoppers Irish politicians are capable of he has nothing on Gilmore

In fact, his reticence causes me to be distrustful of Michael D Higgins and his associations.

On the candidates that are not candid are MMG & Norris and do not even pretend to be.

This thread is about Gallagher being a liar.(or not )

please keep on topic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Im sorry but you have called SG a 'liar' many times on this thread without backing up your assertion. The story you linked to is dated today and it is consistent and fits in with my understanding of his association with FF. My understanding comes from a few radio items such as being interviewed by Pat Kenny approx 1 and a half months ago and then some of the recent debates. So he was involved with FF, I dislike that but then nobodys perfect. Your newspaper link does not show any lie, rather a play on words (i.e. what does 'closely connected' mean).

As you have started a thread that with a post that says this man is dishonest then there is an onus on you to prove that and so far you have failed to do it.

This thread is about Gallagher being a liar.(or not )

please keep on topic

I was on the board of a national charity and when I left I hardly remember if I completed any paperwork and am almost certain I didn't.

Compared with Eamonn Gilmore's gaps in memory or MMG's IRA leadership -its is positively refreshing that Sean Gallagher is so frank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Peep O'Day

Gallagher is today caught telling further lies. He said he left Fianna Fail national executive in 2009, but according to story in to days Mail, he only left this past January just before General election. And he launched several FF campaigns in Feb, including Callearys, Ann Leonard in Monaghan and others. He is just a typical FF stooge who fled the nest when it became rotten and dirty.

talk about damned if you do and damned if you don't! is that not the time one should be leaving? i.e when they believe the party they were once fond of has become "rotten and dirty", would you have preferred if he had stayed?

big bloody deal if he had been in FF at some stage, as someone said over half the country had been in and/or voted for them at some point in their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Alv_M

to be honest i personally believe that the whole lot of the candidates are wrong for the job, but i feel sean gallagher might be the best of a bad bunch!

Alv_M wrote: »
    to be honest i personally believe that the whole lot of the candidates are wrong for the job, but i feel sean gallagher might be the best of a bad bunch!

And there seems to be lot of the electorate that agree with you.

Maybe FG & Labour need a watchdog .

I agree , but someone of integrity and honesty would be good

Gallagher is neither

And there seems to be lot of the electorate that agree with you.

I agree , but someone of integrity and honesty would be good

Gallagher is neither

That seems to put it in a nutshell.

I'm convinced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Better than Michael D ? How so ?

Liam Byrne wrote: »

Michael D's anti American foreign policy record is a big negative

A bit Pro Saddam ???? Pro Castro's Cuba too.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Alv_M

i just personally feel that he's too old now to carry out an effective role as president, i know he's been saying his health is good and all that but its 7 years! whereas gallagher is young and he seems to have a good idea about how we can move forward and he's not talking about the past and what he's experienced like other candidates have been doing and i just personally feel he's the best bet for the job! overall id rather a better pool of candidates, this bunch arent the best!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Michael D's anti American foreign policy record is a big negative

A bit Pro Saddam ???? Pro Castro's Cuba too.

Its called honesty you may find.....rare these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

No doubts that Gilmore, Howlan, Lynch and Rabbitte are/were stickies -personally I would have no issue with this and it is pretty easy to work out who is 'old' Labour by simply looking who was in Democratic Left before the merger with Labour. DL = Stickie.

That whole controversy re: Gilmore, if I remember correctly, was a claim he was in PSF in UCG - a claim that seems to be completely unfounded.

Regardless I don't think Gilmore's past is a valid reason to criticise Higgins. TBH.

As for Gallagher's links to FF - technically, McGuinness is running as an Independent - but we all see him as an SF 'independent'. I would like it to be clarified if Gallagher is, in reality, an FF 'independent'.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Its called honesty you may find.....rare these days.

And, are such views in a President of Ireland in the National Interest ?

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

Raymon, I agree with you that Gallagher hasn’t played straight with us.

Gallagher was quoted in Monday's Irish Times saying that "I left any involvement in Fianna Fáil in terms of being a member of the party or being active back in 2009 because I felt that the party had moved away from its grassroots, the ordinary people who were struggling,"

yet in November 2010 he reportedly canvassed with the FF candidate in the Donegal by-election (seems unlikely to me that, having left FF in disillusionment, he would slog around Donegal in the winter on behalf of the party),

in December 2010 he very publically considered standing for Dermot Ahern's seat in the general election, as FF officials praised him in the Irish Independent as Fianna Fail through and through, and as one of the "new Fianna Fail" who would re-energize the party,

in early January 2011 he was still a member of the 100-member National Executive (I find it very hard to believe that FF would allow a non-member of the party to remain on the executive 1+ years after he'd left the party),

and as you say, in February 2011 he launched (not just made a celebrity appearance at) the campaigns of FF colleagues.

Are these not evidence that he was indeed "active," despite his supposed disillusionment with and separation from the party?
    (All of the above are referenced, with links provided, in the other Gallagher thread. I am not in the habit of repeating myself )

BTW, despite Gallagher's claim to have left the party because they had lost their way, he seems happy enough to have FF old hands manage his current campaign:
    Independent Sean Gallagher has hired veteran adviser Richard Moore, a familiar figure in media circles having worked side-by-side with FF’s Dermot Ahern for 10 years. . . Gallagher, despite trying to distance himself from FF, also has a former party press officer as well as a party activist working for him.

And, are such views in a President of Ireland in the National Interest ?

Honesty is always admired you will find no matter if one agrees or not, and I doubt if it would affect our national interest one little bit since the role of President is largely ceremonial.

Bannasidhe wrote: »

That whole controversy re: Gilmore, if I remember correctly, was a claim he was in PSF in UCG - a claim that seems to be completely unfounded.

I shook hands with Michael D today at the local supermarket where he was canvasing with a very fresh facedProinsios de Rossa ,a stickie himself, in tow.

Michael D , whatever his origans, is definately at the far left of Labour.

A bit off topic, where do they get the names from Proinsios de Rossa was Frank Ross, Mary Lou was Maire Ni Domhnaill and Michael Daniel Higgins was probably never called Dee by his parents.
    As for Gallagher's links to FF - technically, McGuinness is running as an Independent - but we all see him as an SF 'independent'. I would like it to be clarified if Gallagher is, in reality, an FF 'independent'.

Known associates have joined to a/k/a known aliases in Irish Politics X factor presidency.Jedward won the national song contest on TLL ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

technically, McGuinness is running as an Independent

interesting then that when I sent a large attachment to his mail at admin@thepeoplespresident.ie, I got a bounce from press@dublinsinnfein.com :D

MadsL wrote: »
    interesting then that when I sent a large attachment to his mail at admin@thepeoplespresident.ie, I got a bounce from press@dublinsinnfein.com :D

you were lucky it was just a bounce :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I was bitching about the campaign flypostering. I thought better of including my name and address :D

• Advertisement

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Honesty is always admired you will find no matter if one agrees or not, and I doubt if it would affect our national interest one little bit since the role of President is largely ceremonial.

The issue of MMG's non American Investor friendly credentials could equally be levelled at Mickey D.

Foreign policy wise he may be to the left of MMG and it is Phil Hogan of FG who raised the US investor as an election issue.

The president has a very important ceremonial function at foreign affairs and many people have pointed to Mary McAleese's contribitions to the Peace Process.

So it is a bit more than ceremonial .

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

Association with FF is now more toxic than the IRA. Well deserved and so funny. They should dub anyone from FF with an actors voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

3B1F35BFE79446C5B01213BF95FE8804-0000333355-0002578444-00800L-3BEB0B4E37354936A3A77802EF4EB2A8.jpg

Interesting.

He also launched FF campaigns in February. Why did he say he resigned again? He is FF through and through. Turns out he may never have actually left the party... This is all from here...

http://www.politics.ie/forum/irish-presidential-election-2011/172433-sean-gallaghers-fianna-fail-national-exec-resignation-letter-obtained-politics-ie.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I shook hands with Michael D today at the local supermarket where he was canvasing with a very fresh faced Proinsias de Rossa ,a sticky himself, in tow.

Not only is proinsias a sticky he was also convicted & imprisoned of IRA membership, he was also interned in the curragh after he got out, wonder if that's why labour are keeping quietish about MMG, People in glass houses etc etc.

The issue of MMG's non American Investor friendly credentials could equally be levelled at Mickey D.

Foreign policy wise he may be to the left of MMG and it is Phil Hogan of FG who raised the US investor as an election issue.

The president has a very important ceremonial function at foreign affairs and many people have pointed to Mary McAleese's contribitions to the Peace Process.

So it is a bit more than ceremonial .

I wouldn't see Higgins as much further - if at all - to the left then Mary Robinson.

I honestly don't think the president has any influence on whether American multi-nationals 'invest' here - that is all sorted out in backroom deals. The president is wheeled out to present the shamrock, shake the hands and stand in the photo op.

Plus - those same multi-nationals would abandon us in a heartbeat if they got a better deal elsewhere ( Dell - all gone!) or if the US changes some of their taxation laws as it been mooted. I for one have no intention of allowing what the U.S wants- either politically or corporately - to influence my decision as to who I vote for.

ok I admit it - I have been known to include the words American and Imperialism in the same sentence during a rant...

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    3B1F35BFE79446C5B01213BF95FE8804-0000333355-0002578444-00800L-3BEB0B4E37354936A3A77802EF4EB2A8.jpg

Interesting.

He also launched FF campaigns in February. Why did he say he resigned again? He is FF through and through. Turns out he may never have actually left the party... This is all from here...

http://www.politics.ie/forum/irish-presidential-election-2011/172433-sean-gallaghers-fianna-fail-national-exec-resignation-letter-obtained-politics-ie.html

That is indeed very interesting. Thanks for that Wolfe Tone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭neiphin

Interesting.

i notice that it is not signed, surely its only a letter, and been not signed , means absolutly nothing, would not stand up in a court of law

So looking at that letter he officially has not resigned ?

neiphin wrote: »
    i notice that it is not signed, surely its only a letter, and been not signed , means absolutly nothing, would not stand up in a court of law
    Are you saying the letter is not genuine?

"express my continued support to you and your colleagues in the challenging period for the Party"

He is a FF man to the core despite him claiming otherwise.

realies wrote: »
    So looking at that letter he officially has not resigned ?
    Yes, and he only resigned his position because he was too busy doing stuff, not because of any issue with the party itself and what it has done.

Are you saying the letter is not genuine?

"express my continued support to you and your colleagues in the challenging period for the Party"

He is a FF man to the core despite him claiming otherwise.

If he hasn't signed it it is not valid.

• Advertisement

neiphin wrote: »

It's a bit more proof than we have of other people resigning from other stuff! And still some people choose to just take their word for that!

That - expected - double-standard aside, Gallagher has got some serious questions to answer.

What is it with this presidential campaign and dodgy letters ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Of course he's FF ... through and through.

If nothing else Mattie McGrath supporting him is enough for me to say 'I'm out'

If he hasn't signed it it is not valid.
    Of course its valid, thats his resignation letter, if its not valid then I guess he didnt resign? :pac:

Of course its valid, that's his resignation letter, if its not valid then I guess he didn't resign? :pac:

Do you not have to sign it to make it official as anyone could make up a letter ?

Do you not have to sign it to make it official as anyone could make up a letter ?
    What if its an email?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Couldn't care if he is lying or not, as he's not getting my vote.

I think Wolfe Tone's point is that that would actually make Gallagher look worse, because if the letter isn't official then he wouldn't have even resigned from the executive!

i.e. no letter to show = no resignation from an organisation

That right, WT ?

What if its an email?
    I think Wolfe Tone's point is that that would actually make Gallagher look worse, because if the letter isn't official then he wouldn't have even resigned from the executive!

That right, WT ?

I presumed something as important as that would have to be personally signed, maybe i am wrong :o (not for the first time says ye )

I presumed something as important as that would have to be personally signed, maybe i am wrong :o (not for the first time says ye )

I'd tend to agree - personally I'd want a signed letter as proof.

But that's just me; some people haven't looked for signed resignation letters from others re organisations they were in, so we don't actually know when they resigned, or if they did at all. Apparently we can't take Gallagher's word for it.

So I'd guess that yet again I'd be alone in demanding proof of resignation from all parties, since others seem to be happy to forego the requirement for that proof, and are obviously going to treat Gallagher with the same approach.

That right, WT ?

Pretty much Liam, I was having a bit of a laugh as well.

The letter is genuine though, if you read all of the first post here its apparent and acknowledged.

He resigned from that position but apparently not the party and its the issues why he resigned which are important I feel, not because of anger with the party and what it did but because of his schedule and he clearly outlines his continued support for FF.

For some this will be an issue, others of course wont care.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement