Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

internet problem

Options
  • 08-10-2011 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Im using eircom next generation paying for 8mb broadband but ran a test the other day and it say im getting .5 a mb of download speed and .1 of upload speed.i also am on a wirelss conection.So i rang eircom and they said there is nothing they can do .I find it impossible to get into games in modern warfare 2.Does any one have a solution to improve this by either changing provider or some other ideas.
    Any ideas or reply are welcome i just want to rectify if for battlefield 3 and mw3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

canister94 wrote: »
    Im using eircom next generation paying for 8mb broadband but ran a test the other day and it say im getting .5 a mb of download speed and .1 of upload speed.i also am on a wirelss conection.So i rang eircom and they said there is nothing they can do .I find it impossible to get into games in modern warfare 2.Does any one have a solution to improve this by either changing provider or some other ideas.
    Any ideas or reply are welcome i just want to rectify if for battlefield 3 and mw3

you're paying for up to 8mb but your only getting .5? Same thing happened to me nearly 12 months ago. They signed me up to ngb telling me I'd be getting up to 8mb yet my line could only 1.7 or something. I spoke to the tech and he said I should NEVER have been "upgraded". The problem you have now is that youre with them for 12 months unless you want to leave the contract early......and they'll rob you for that :mad:

Anyway......

Plug the laptop into the modem with your ethernet cable. The go onto speedtest.net and run the test again.

Tell us what it says?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭canister94

i have no ethernet cable and i did the test with my laptop via wireless
    the ping was 105 ms
    upload .1 mbps
    download .88 mbps
    I also thought when i upgraded to ngb the speed got worse.When i rang support they said nothing they can do its all my line can support and it all hinges on the upload speed

• Registered Users Posts: 4 deleware

I dont know about you folks but I have all my hair almost torn out at this stage with the service I'm getting from Eircom. I signed up for NGB thinking there was going to be nothing like it and seeing as they own the infrastructure could not go wrong but its been a disaster since the summer. I have been on to Tech Support almost weekly and I'm getting a different answer everytime I talk to them. My speeds are no where near what I thought I was getting and like others on the thread they tell me thats all my line can take. I did'nt even get to 1 some days and of late my connection keeps dropping out. When I ring they tell me they can see this and increase or decrease my speed at will. I've been given a new modem twice, told to unplug my sky boxes, told there was three faults repaired on my line, I had my modem plugged into the wrong line, a tree was interfering with my cable outside. A wide variety of excuses but three months later still the same rubbish connection. Last generation more like. Its taken me about 30 minutes to send this post. Trouble is theres not a lot can be done as all the other service providers rely on Eircom's infrastructure

I know how your feeling delaware.A friend of mine is running 3 on a dongle thing he cant get wired boraband but still he has speeds over 1mb.Its really a pain some one said theres a thing called a signal booster it boosts speeds any one ever hear of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

canister94 wrote: »
    i have no ethernet cable and i did the test with my laptop via wireless
    the ping was 105 ms
    upload .1 mbps
    download .88 mbps
    I also thought when i upgraded to ngb the speed got worse.When i rang support they said nothing they can do its all my line can support and it all hinges on the upload speed

You dont have a hope of getting a good connection. Those speeds are terrible for Xbox Live. You need a ping of at least 75ms to have a decent connection. But at 105ms you'll lag really really bad.

• Advertisement

Conas wrote: »
    You dont have a hope of getting a good connection. Those speeds are terrible for Xbox Live. You need a ping of at least 75ms to have a decent connection. But at 105ms you'll lag really really bad.
    I realise that its terrible but what i post this thread was to see if there was any thing i could do to improve it like because it is terrible people shoot you before you even see them ive never had host or had a four bar connection

Advertisement