Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC cisco router, need to extend range

Options
  • 08-10-2011 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭

hey guys, just upgraded to UPC recently, and got wireless broadband off them, but because the router had to be within a certain distance of the phone/access point whatever, its now left one part of the house without good internet reception.

now i know i can connect it to another router to boost the signal strenght, would an old thomson router from smart work?

and has anyone does this before/ know a basic guide i could follow.

cheers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭maygitchell

Search ebay for an uprated antenna

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

Jagle wrote: »
    hey guys, just upgraded to UPC recently, and got wireless broadband off them, but because the router had to be within a certain distance of the phone/access point whatever, its now left one part of the house without good internet reception.

now i know i can connect it to another router to boost the signal strenght, would an old thomson router from smart work?

cheers
    switch between channels might help boost ur signal, my cisco is in livingroom and i'm in bedroom upstairs connected thru wireless, getting Good constant signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

mark17j wrote: »
    switch between channels might help boost ur signal, my cisco is in livingroom and i'm in bedroom upstairs connected thru wireless, getting Good constant signal.

ya except im at the other end of the house, not verticle horizontal with several thick walls inbetween.

its a case of, id like to put a router at the other end of the house to boost the wireless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Big Lar

mark17j wrote: »
    Jagle wrote: »

cheers

But there may be other electrical devices interfering with your signal, so you should try different channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

depending on budget ethernet over power is an option and if you need wireless on the other side just stick a repeter on the end or plug in directly with a cable

something like this:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/TP-LINK-TL-POE200-POE-Power-over-Ethernet-Adapter-Kit-/220843109137?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item336b466b11

this is just a random link iv never used this model

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

This is not a broadband issue, it is a wireless router one. Thread moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

If you're on UPC, you can move the router. Get some coax and a couple of F-type plugs.

Advertisement