Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this invoice legal?

Options
  • 08-10-2011 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

After a repair to my car the garage has issued a hand-written invoice without a letterhead or any identifying details. They used a generic invoice block, the kind you can buy in any stationery shop.

The invoice has a date on it. Under "From" it gives my (!) first name. Under "To" it gives the type of car. At my insistence they added the car's registration. I was just too baffled at the time to reject the invoice outright.

There is no mention of the name or address of the garage, no phone number... Oh, and no mention of VAT either!

Is it legal for a business to issue an invoice like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Is it legal for a business to issue an invoice like this?

Why would it not be legal?

You had repairs made to your car, and they are due payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

so long as it details the overall cost to you why have u to worry about it unless you are making a vat return against the invoice!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 photonirvana

Here is why:

1) When I sell the car I would like to be able to document that the clutch was replaced. That's not possible with a swipe of paper that looks as if I had made it up myself some evening at the kitchen table.

2) I can reclaim VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/charging/invoicing.html#section4

This is whats needed for a valid invoice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

A VAT invoice is slightly different from a standard invoice.

You should specifically ask for a VAT invoice, so that you can claim back the VAT.

Replacement of the clutch should be listed in the car service book, to detail any servicing or changes to the car.

• Advertisement

Thanks Wile, very useful link!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Are you going to run the VAT reclaim through a business?

Yes. Sole Trader.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OK - Moved to the Entreprenurial & Business Management forum

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

c

This is whats needed for a valid invoice.

That is what's needed for a valid VAT invoice.

If you look at the previous section you'll see who must issue a VAT invoice and to whom they must issue one:
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/charging/invoicing.html#section3

If the OP didn't ask for a VAT invoice (and they didn't know the OP is a VAT reg'd trader) then there's no problem with what they gave the OP.

If the OP now asks for one, and they won't give him one, that's a different matter.

• Advertisement

From a VAT perspective, it's all clear now. Thanks to everybody who has chimed in.

But it is a bit unfortunate that the discussion in this thread has become centered on the VAT aspect. To me, it is about accountability in general.

The other day I bought a takeaway from the local Indian. The receipt carries the name, address, phone number etc. of the business. Frankly, that's what I'd expect - from any business.

On the other hand, a garage which has carried out a repair to the tune of nearly a grand tries to get away with issuing a piece of paper with no identifying details whatsoever as an "invoice"?

I can not imagine that's legal just because VAT wasn't mentioned anywhere.

Advertisement