Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query re. fitting replacement doors

• 08-10-2011 1:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭

I bought a complete set of new doors for upstairs. The existing ones are your standard hollow panel doors, the new ones are solid frame 'shaker' type. I didn't realise when I bought them that the new doors are approximately 6 mm 'thinner' than the existing ones. The guy fitting them isn't a carpenter (another story).

He's half way fitting the first door and he has the outside of the door flush with the outside of the frame. This leaves a 6mm gap on the inside. I don't think this will work (unless we fit a trim on the inside and this will be a 'dose').

I reckon he needs to have the inside edge of the door flush with the inside of the frame. This will require him to cut some slots in the frame to recess the hinges, and allow the door to site into the frame so more.

Has anyone come across this problem before, and if so, what did you do. Appreciate any guidance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

Remove the strip on the frame. Hang the door. Close door and replace the strips flush to the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭youtheman

bette wrote: »
    Remove the strip on the frame. Hang the door. Close door and replace the strips flush to the door.

This won't work. My frames don't have the strip (this is a 'cheapo' job), the frame is made with a proper rebate for the door (hope I'm explaining it properly).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Get a Carpenter :D it,s a simple fix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

youtheman wrote: »
    This won't work. My frames don't have the strip (this is a 'cheapo' job), the frame is made with a proper rebate for the door (hope I'm explaining it properly).

Get a few slips and pin them in the gap.

Any chance of a photo?

Here are some photos:
    IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

youtheman wrote: »
    I bought a complete set of new doors for upstairs. The existing ones are your standard hollow panel doors, the new ones are solid frame 'shaker' type. I didn't realise when I bought them that the new doors are approximately 6 mm 'thinner' than the existing ones. The guy fitting them isn't a carpenter (another story).

He's half way fitting the first door and he has the outside of the door flush with the outside of the frame. This leaves a 6mm gap on the inside. I don't think this will work (unless we fit a trim on the inside and this will be a 'dose').

I reckon he needs to have the inside edge of the door flush with the inside of the frame. This will require him to cut some slots in the frame to recess the hinges, and allow the door to site into the frame so more.

Has anyone come across this problem before, and if so, what did you do. Appreciate any guidance.

Has your fitter offered you his advice,

Carpenter is right, its a simple fix, one of two options:D;)

kadman

The fitter has moved the door back into the frame by recessing the hinge pin (slightly) into the frame. Looks fine. I'll post some photos when the job is complete, and the door painted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

what did your handyman do all day while you waited for replies on boards?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

1chippy wrote: »
    what did your handyman do all day while you waited for replies on boards?

:D:D:D:D

Glad you got sorted. It was one of the obvious fixes for the initiated, eh carpenter;)

kadman

Advertisement