Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading Ram

Options
  • 08-10-2011 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm upgrading the ram in my computer.
    It's running xp home 32 bit.
    I was thinking some like this
    http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=ECE1265887
    I chose this because your i heard that your not supposed to have more than 2gb of ram running xp 32 bit?

Is this ram ok & is elera a good place to buy?

opinions appreciated thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

The limit on XP 32 bit is 4GB, not two.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

The limit on XP 32 bit is 4GB, not two.
    It says in the book for my motherboard that if your running 32 bit its recommended to install less than 3gb of ram

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭overshoot

go on to crucial.com, 2 x 1gb chips are 26e, (that was for dddr2-you will need to check what type i just assumed) il leave it to the people who are really in the tnow to advise further but i would have thought 4gb wouldnt do any harm. what ram are you running now though?

yes ddr2 is what i need, i currenly have 2 samsung 512mb's.
    computer is sluggish enough with this.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

With a 32bit OS the limit is 4GB but that includes video memory. So if you have 4GB of RAM and a 512MB graphics card then only 3.5GB of the 4GB will be used.

• Advertisement

deconduo wrote: »
    With a 32bit OS the limit is 4GB but that includes video memory. So if you have 4GB of RAM and a 512MB graphics card then only 3.5GB of the 4GB will be used.
    Yes i have a 512mb card, also does it matter what speed the ram is or is it the faster the better or are there compatability issues ?

sorry its actually a 256 card

Advertisement