Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you use a library?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭SandraManson

I buy books on my Iphone/ or download them for free and read them on my Iphone anywhere. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

hooplah wrote: »
    Where do you normally buy your books?

Do you browse and then buy based on what looks good or do you go to a shop or website with a clear idea of what you want based on reviews or reccomendations?

This almost feels like a market survey :p

I buy online usually, on Book Depository and Amazon. The "Look Inside" feature on Amazon has really made a big difference to me. I used to enjoy browsing in physical bookstores, but the appeal of that is starting to wane, thanks to the sheer breadth of selection online. Since I can sample any number of books on Amazon, I'm less and less motivated to make the trip to real shops, as I already know they can't compete with the sites on price.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

I buy books on my Iphone/ or download them for free and read them on my Iphone anywhere. :)

you buy them on your iphone? wow, i've a HTC with a decent screen and have read some of the books that come with it for free but would just find the screen too restrictive.

How do you decide what to buy or download?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I generally buy what I want to read, but only because I don't read so much that I can't afford it. :pac: If I pick up the amount I read I may head back to the library but it's a long time since I was there.

Kinski wrote: »
    This almost feels like a market survey :p

I buy online usually, on Book Depository and Amazon. The "Look Inside" feature on Amazon has really made a big difference to me. I used to enjoy browsing in physical bookstores, but the appeal of that is starting to wane, thanks to the sheer breadth of selection online. Since I can sample any number of books on Amazon, I'm less and less motivated to make the trip to real shops, as I already know they can't compete with the sites on price.

Oh it's totally a survey. But its nothing offiial, just out of interest. I'm interested in how people who read but don't use libraries decide what to read.

I guess I'm interested in why they don't use libraries and am trying to get a picture of how they make choices or reading decisions...

Amazon preview makes a big difference all right in that it gives a browsing type experience (for individual books anyway). I like physical shelves and selection because I will often pick somethig up based on the cover or title. 'If you liked that you might like this' features on online shops don't really achieve the same thing. That said when I buy books I often do it online.

If I use a bookshop these days its usually Chapters (because its cheap and convienant), the Gutter Bookshop in Temple Bar (because they have signings, events and are lovely) or A.N. Other because I'm willing to pay extra to get something straightaway rather than wait for delivery.

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »
    I generally buy what I want to read, but only because I don't read so much that I can't afford it. :pac: If I pick up the amount I read I may head back to the library but it's a long time since I was there.

how do you decide what you want to read? Reviews or reccomendations from other readers or?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭mikeyboy

I absolutely love the library. I use it to preview series that I'm considering, to re-read out of print books and for research. I also use the free wi fi to compile books on wikipedia which I then download and read on my e-book reader.

Oh it's totally a survey. But its nothing offiial, just out of interest. I'm interested in how people who read but don't use libraries decide what to read.

I guess I'm interested in why they don't use libraries and am trying to get a picture of how they make choices or reading decisions...

Are you planning any innovations? Have you or your colleagues thought of any ways to make local libraries more attractive to people?

Kinski wrote: »
    Are you planning any innovations? Have you or your colleagues thought of any ways to make local libraries more attractive to people?

Yes, in the library I work in we've put a lot of effort recently into programming events to draw people in, which are advertised outside the libraries. Mixed sucess but its working. I can't speak definitively but most places I'm aware of would consistantly be trying to improve things within staffing and budget restrictions. There have also been some fairly large advertising campaigns (on signs provided through the Dublin Bikes scheme) in Dublin City.

Just to be clear though, I am a librarian, I work in a public library. I'm not a spokesperson though, not by any stretch.

I'm not a spokesperson though, not by any stretch.

Oh, I didn't think you were. I was just curious about how libraries try to draw people in these days.

• Advertisement

not to drag this thread too far off topic but the old reliables would be bringing in school classes, hosting bookclubs and reading groups and programming events. These days most library authorities would be trying to increase their web presence.

All libraries would offer books in paper, cd and mp3 player, some ibraries have downloads available too.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

I'd ask posters here if they use a public library?

If not do you have specific reasons?
    Did you use one previously but have since stopped?
    Where do you get your books?
    Do you ever browse or read based on reccomendations?

I absolutely love libraries, wonderful places.

I buy a lot online and download books to my i-pad. I also purchase books in book shops, where I find you can come across the unexpected. For example, Chapters & especially The Gutter Book Shop are great for those quirky books that I love. I also reserve books online with the DCC library’s website, it is a fantastic service. The books I mainly get from the library are for book club choices. However, recently I have ordered fairly new books from the library with great success. I often of course, go into the library, just for a browse. I particularly like browsing the history/biography/travel sections.

I buy/borrow a lot of books based on recommendations from many places:

Newspapers – Guardian/Irish Times
    Websites (particularly Goodreads, Boards and Twitter) and Dublin City Council’s Reading group choices list
    Verbal recommendations from friends/Bookcrossers/other book club members

I really like it when someone recommends a book to me that is not normally one that I pick up. I’m willing to be adventurous.

I applaud the fact that the libraries are becoming more active online and in the social media. I love the events/readings in the libraries, and try to follow as much as I can on Twitter/FB etc. I hear that some libraries (I can’t remember where I heard this) will allow you to “borrow” a downloadable version of a book onto your ipad/kindle for a few weeks.

Also it’s a good idea to interact with us here on boards.

Keep up the good work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

how do you decide what you want to read? Reviews or reccomendations from other readers or?

Reviews but generally I prefer reading factual stuff so it often picks itself. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭SandraManson

you buy them on your iphone? wow, i've a HTC with a decent screen and have read some of the books that come with it for free but would just find the screen too restrictive.

How do you decide what to buy or download?
    I read reviews on about the books, the majority of them are free to download, plus I can adjust the writing size and brightness to my own comfort level. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

First thing I do when I move to a new area is join the local library. Most of the books I read are chosen by browsing in the library. A valuable commodity in any community.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭steve_r

Yes, as it really was my introduction to reading in the first place.

I find the online service ideal for finding books quickly, you can arrange to have them collected at your local library for a 50c fee, which is great value. This is really useful for books that are old and out of print, and are not carried by bookshops. However, it can sometimess take a while to get the actual book, which is why I still buy books online.

Without wishing to derail the thread, while writing this I've realised I only sem to go into bookshops when I can't get what I'm looking for online, or need a hard copy urgently. Looking at the thread, others don't seem to be encountering this, I'm hardly the only one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I've recently started to re-use my library, after many years of working and just buying books. Primarily because I was made redundant. Libraries are wonderful places, and even though my local is quite small, and one of the librarians there needs a course in dealing with members of the public, being able to get any book for free (or maybe for a 50c charge) is fairly amazing.

There also seems to be a sense of community in my local library, despite its small size (in terms of the building, collection and staff) with lots of interesting photos of the area and a nice looking kids' area. The ILAC library, despite being in a horrible shopping centre and being a fairly horrible looking library itself, is an AMAZING service with brilliant staff who really go out of their way to help you. And it always seems so busy. So much more than books there.

I agree about the ILAC library, it's a pity about the environment of the library itself. It's a shame that our Central Library in Dublin has such a dingy interior. Maybe someday it will be re-located/refurbished.

I agree about the library staff, they are all so helpful. I love it when they engage with you to recommend books. I just have one exception to this. There is a librarian in one of the libraries who I find very difficult to deal with, as he never wants to talk to the customers.

Overall though, I think the staff are doing a great job. I've said this before, no, I don't work in a library. I have just always loved them, from my younger days. I only rememebered yesterday how many classic books I read as a young teenager. I used to visit two different libraries each week.

The library has an even more important role in these straightened times.

I agree about the ILAC library, it's a pity about the environment of the library itself. It's a shame that our Central Library in Dublin has such a dingy interior. Maybe someday it will be re-located/refurbished.

It was said that it was going to be relocated to where the Ambassador Theatre is (was?). This was during the 'boom' and it never happened. Doubt it'll happen for many, many years now.
    The library has an even more important role in these straightened times.

Which makes it all the worse that in these straightened times is when budgets for libraries are cut.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

The Ilac used to have a problem with vents and i would'nt use it and others too ..proper Ventilation is no. 1 coming up to winter now.Great place the Ilac library and the staff ... they're so helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I use my local library every three weeks or so. I borrow plenty of books.

I also buy ebooks for my iPad, books online, from regular bookstores, from charity stores and from discount stores.

Why the library? Mostly because I like to try new authors a lot and the library is risk free. If I don't like the book I haven't wasted money on it. Also, my daughter loves the library too :) and my library offers several organised Mummy and baby and Daddy and baby singalongs and playtimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Wish i could but the nearest library to me is unfeasibly far away and its apparently quite rubbish too. Surprising really considering im smack bang in the middle of South Dublin.

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Wish i could but the nearest library to me is unfeasibly far away and its apparently quite rubbish too. Surprising really considering im smack bang in the middle of South Dublin.

Hi Dr. Gonzo,

Where do you normally get your books so?

Do you browse and then buy based on what looks good or do you go to a shop or website with a clear idea of what you want based on reviews or reccomendations?

and out of curiosity where abouts in South Dublin are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

dr gonzo wrote: »

Hi Dr. Gonzo,

Where do you normally get your books so?

and out of curiosity where abouts in South Dublin are you?

Hi hooplah, I buy books when I can, I prefer owning them if I'm honest. Choosing them generally revolves around amazon reviews which I usually find relatively in line with my own tastes, although I neither get the idea for the book or buy off amazon anymore. I do browse book shops quite regularly too.

I'm in clonskeagh, d. 14 which im pretty sure makes my nearest library ballsbridge. Granted not terribly far away but still relatively in feasible for regular use.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I used to use the library a lot, but I prefer to buy books now. I used the university libraries while I lived abroad, as well as the local ones. I worked in a library for years too, as a part-time job.

I suppose I prefer to have my own (clean) books and I've encountered so many waiting lists for new or popular books I just like to get them straight away if I can. It's cheap enough to buy books these days and I can afford it. I usually have a list of about 10 books that I want to read at any one time. I know if I go online I will find virtually all of them. If I go to the library that's unlikely.

I work close to a small library, but the selection there is pretty small. I live close to a huge library, but for the reasons mentioned above I just prefer to buy my own books. I choose books based on radio reviews, Booker shortlists, best-sellers, sometimes friend recommendations, and just randomly sometimes! I do like books that are recent though for the most part.

I know a lot of people here say they like clean new books and I understand that. What I've been doing recently is putting a lot of books on my wish list on the Dublin City Council online reservation system, it's wonderful. These are books that I've seen recommended in various places - newspapers, online (especialy boards, thank you!) etc. I don't have time to read the books now, but will get back to them later. I find that you can nearly always find the book you want in the library. It's only when I really can't find the book (it might be a new book or something) that I order from The Book Depository or Amazon.

I understand, that you don't always live near a good library. However, I found that the online reservation really makes this easier. You just nominate the nearest library for your collection point. It doesn't particularly have to be well stocked in order for you to collect your book.

I know, i'm a bit of a library nerd. I will travel to a good library. For example, the one in Blanchardstown is good and worth travelling to. I also plan to visit the refurbished libraries at Rathmines & RUsh. If anyone else hears of a good library, I'll willingly travel there.

Would you believe, I visit libraries aboad too. I visited a lovely library (beautiful building) in Boston last autumn. There was a lovely quiet courtyard where people could relax and read their books/i pads. I plan to visit the Bryant library in New York soon. That's why I think the Central Library in Dublin should be a tourist attraction. The Ambassador would be a pretty good location, central and a nice historic building. Maybe some day, when this recession is over....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I'm the same as Travel is good in that I reserve books a lot at my library. It's great :)

If I went out and bought every book I've ever been recommended, two things would happen.

1) I'd be broke
    2) I'd have plenty of books that I didn't like.

Recommendations are well and good but I've made the mistake of buying a book before and realising on reading it, that I hated it. That's where the library comes in, reserve it, read it and if you like it enough, buy it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I meant to add that I can only remember one book that I started but didn't finish (The Great Gatsby, but I was only around 13 or 14 so should really give it another go!) so even if I think a book isn't great I will still read it. So having a library book in that instance isn't of any benefit to me over a bought book.

I know, i'm a bit of a library nerd. I will travel to a good library.

Ha, that's brilliant. I've never thought of doing that, but with my local one being nice-but-small, I should probably investigate. When I worked in a bookshop, I used to visit bookshops in foreign places. If I ever do become a librarian (and if jobs ever open up in that area) I'm sure I'll visit libraries around the world.

Never knew that about the online reservation system. Brilliant idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Amomymous

I must admit that my usage of public libraries has dwindled over the past few years, though mostly because I now use my university library almost exclusively. When I do have time for pleasure reading, which is rare, I buy the book since I tend to annotate. Plus, I like the idea of building up my own home library; I don't think I could ever turn to a Kindle. I find myself shopping on Amazon more than I should, but I would love to support local secondhand bookshops all the time; often I simply cannot find what I am looking for there.

Advertisement