Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you use a library?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Hermy wrote: »
    I spent the day in Tallaght library and I couldn't get over the noise. Do libraries still have a 'quiet please' policy or are those days long gone?

I know in the branch I work in there can often be noise due to the amount of young kids we get in. Excessive noise is dealt with quickly as our branch is really small so it affects everyone. However, I think it would be unreasonable to expect total silence in a public library. Libraries are centres of community that offer more than just somewhere to study/read in silence now.

Tallaght is a big, busy branch where total quiet wouldn't be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I use my local library all the time. I usually read books from reading lists. I buy a few books for holidays or if it's a new release that I really want to read. I also go back to old reliable classics every now and then (I'm reading Jane Eyre now).
    I go through a book a week on average.

I also use the Local Studies dept. of my library, Cork County Library, Carrigrohane Rd., for family history research.

Always find library staff extremely helpful.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Chinafoot wrote: »
    I know in the branch I work in there can often be noise due to the amount of young kids we get in. Excessive noise is dealt with quickly as our branch is really small so it affects everyone. However, I think it would be unreasonable to expect total silence in a public library. Libraries are centres of community that offer more than just somewhere to study/read in silence now.

Tallaght is a big, busy branch where total quiet wouldn't be possible.

Tallaght is indeed a busy library and I would never expect silence there. Indeed the hustle and bustle of a busy library only adds to the atmosphere. But teens laughing and joking or people talking loudly on their mobile phones really spoils the atmosphere. And it all appears to go unchecked. I'm wondering is it still within the remit of the staff to keep the noise levels at a reasonable level.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Tallaght is indeed a busy library and I would never expect silence there. Indeed the hustle and bustle of a busy library only adds to the atmosphere. But teens laughing and joking or people talking loudly on their mobile phones really spoils the atmosphere. And it all appears to go unchecked. I'm wondering is it still within the remit of the staff to keep the noise levels at a reasonable level.

Well mobile phone use is something that isn't permitted in any library I've ever worked in and is something that we try to deal with immediately. Laughing and shouting teens will be told to be quiet but that doesn't always work. Sometimes it takes a few attempts!

Another thing to consider though is the shortage of staff. All local authorities are struggling at the moment when it comes to staffing libraries. The embargo means anyone leaving can't be replaced and the job requirements are different from the rest of the council so it's not simply a case of redeploying staff from another department. Libraries are being staffed with dwindling numbers and we're trying to deliver the same level of services. It's not easy.

I would suggest that next time you're being disrupted like that, pop up to the desk and let a member of staff know whats going on.

I don't wish to sound overly negative. I'm new to Tallaght library and already I'm impressed. I spent the whole day there yesterday doing some family research. I got some great work done and all it cost me was my bus fare which is a big deal when you're unemployed.
    And this is not me having a go at the staff either. I'm sure it's not always a pleasant task if you have to ask library users to keep the noise down. Those who are inconsiderate enough to make noise in the first place will probably take a dim view of being asked to stay quiet.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

I don't wish to sound overly negative. I'm new to Tallaght library and already I'm impressed. I spent the whole day there yesterday doing some family research. I got some great work done and all it cost me was my bus fare which is a big deal when you're unemployed.
    And this is not me having a go at the staff either. I'm sure it's not always a pleasant task if you have to ask library users to keep the noise down. Those who are inconsiderate enough to make noise in the first place will probably take a dim view of being asked to stay quiet.

Ah no, I didn't think you were being overly negative or that you were having a go at the staff. It's a fair comment to make when you are facing that kind of noise you have described. Libraries aren't the places of absolute silence that they used to be but the examples you gave are definitely taking the mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Hmmm, my local library is very big and there's never a peep out of anyone in the adult readers section. The kids section is of course very different but it's on a different floor (near the café) so no real problem there.

Also I'm lucky in that my library opens on Saturday and Sunday, otherwise I'd never get to use it :) That said, six smaller libraries in our county have closed this year due to cutbacks so I hope they don't decide to cut the hours in our library for further savings :(

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

I prefer to own the books so i generally buy them instead of visiting the library. I usually get them off amazon/ebay or Oxfam. I dont mind them being second hand, more stories attached to them that way :pac:

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Hmmm, my local library is very big and there's never a peep out of anyone in the adult readers section. The kids section is of course very different but it's on a different floor (near the café) so no real problem there.

Tallaght library is all open plan which looks great but it does mean you can't get away from the noise. At the same time it does seem to be a hive of activity so a lot of the noise is good noise if you will.

Genealogy Forum Mod

r3nu4l wrote: »

Also I'm lucky in that my library opens on Saturday and Sunday, otherwise I'd never get to use it :) That said, six smaller libraries in our county have closed this year due to cutbacks so I hope they don't decide to cut the hours in our library for further savings :(

The situation with the library service in the uk is absolutely scandalous. Its frightening to see how little value the government places on public libraries. I really hope things never head that way here.

It's true what they say though...use it or you'll lose it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Chinafoot wrote: »
    The situation with the library service in the uk is absolutely scandalous. Its frightening to see how little value the government places on public libraries. I really hope things never head that way here.

It's true what they say though...use it or you'll lose it.

Definitely agree with you. I found that the recession 'helped' me to rediscover my library. Free books and (usually) great service is a win-win situation in anybody's book, surely.

Normally we're five years behind Britain: whatever they do, we tend to follow. However, I've been reading a lot about the library cuts over there, and it seems that it's a lot easier for the government over there to do what they're doing, mainly due to Thatcher destroying the unions in the 80s. Of course, the government here are doing their own hatchet job, but hopefully it won't extend to mass closures.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

I agree with you both. Hopefully the library service here doesn't suffer too much in this recession, it should be our priority to keep it viable. I am aware of staff shortages etc. I had heard a few years ago that there were proposals to open libraries on Sundays. That would be great for us customers, but not so great for the staff. I presume all that has been put on hold. I must say, the on-line service is wonderful, especially for reserving books, it's saved me a lot of money.

I am very strongly of the view that we need libraries more than ever in the current climate. They also offer a great resource to job-seekers. I was (as usual) haunting my local library this week and couldn't believe the huge range of DVD films and audio books available. What's that word for someone who loves libraries like me, am I a librariophile ? (I just made up that word!)

am I a librariophile ? (I just made up that word!)

I like 'librariophile', and would probably say I'm one too. I wouldn't have thought that Sunday opening would be too much of a problem for librarians: most of the college libraries (for example) would open over the weekend.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Only quiet place without music these days...the din of gunge muzac is almost everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Jopari87

Just after joining a library for €2 and should have done it years ago.

If I only ever read one book it still represents great value.

I wouldn't have thought that Sunday opening would be too much of a problem for librarians: most of the college libraries (for example) would open over the weekend.

Local authority run libraries wouldn't have anywhere near the staff needed to do it at the moment. I know in my authority we are open Monday to Saturday which means two shifts with each working 5 days. I can't see many being too willing to work 6 days a week tbh, which means more staff would need to be hired and that is something that definitely won't happen at the moment. We're all struggling at the moment and I don't think expanding the service to an extra day would do anything other than tip us over the edge.

Besides, our money is brutal! :P

Oh, I agree Chinafoot, I meant that they probably wouldn't mind in theory, all other things being equal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

My library isn't the speediest when it comes to getting in new books. Also I wish they had a tagging system in the catalogue that enables users to see new titles that have just arrived.

Otherwise the service is great, friendly staff, good selection etc..

Advertisement