Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last Album You Bought/Downloaded

Options
  • 08-10-2011 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭

This is a thread that will hopefully never get old. Basically post the last album you bought or downloaded.
    Please note: don't just post the album cover on it's own, include a few lines, for example why you got the album and what you thought of it etc. Even include a video as well if you wish.

I recently got...

zolajesusuk-conatus-cover_photo_web.jpg

Zola Jesus - Conatus (2011)
    Her third album and it seems like a bit of an improvement from Stridulum II. The songs seems more realised and the album flows better as a whole but still retaining the usual dark atmospherics and her soaring voice. It's probably not one of the best albums of the year so far but still a pretty good one.

royksopp-melody-am-1-cover-art-51735.jpeg

Royksopp - Melody A.M. (2001)
    Found a used CD of this for only €2 and it's an album I've been meaning to get it for a while. I already had The Understanding but this is a far superior album. I was surprised to see I already knew some of the tracks here and overall an excellent electronic album.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭maygitchell

Blue Lines - Massive Attack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭WinstonOno

ryan adams - ashes and rain
    im a massive adams fan and have been waiting for this one for awhile and it doesnt disappoint. maybe not quite up to the standards of cold roses or love is hell but a definite step back towards his best. he said hes put more effort into these songs than ever before, and it shows. the lyrics are some of his best and most personal.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I've bought considerably more than I should have in the last week or so...

I bought this just yesterday and had been meaning to pick it up for a few years now. I love both 'Spirit of Eden' and 'Laughing Stock' by Talk Talk and had heard that the Mark Hollis album from 1998 was in a very similar vein but a lot more sparse - gave it one listen last night and references from various reviews on Amazon are pretty bang on in terms of similarities to jazz from the like of Miles Davis etc. On first listen I enjoyed but I can imagine again as per reviews that it is one that grows much more over time.

Mark Hollis - Watershed

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mark-Hollis/dp/B0000084J7/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318096713&sr=8-1

I also picked up the new album 'The Devils Walk' by Apparat in Tower earlier this week. It was a random purchase and its not really what I was expecting it to be - I was initially disappointed as I didn't expect so much in the way of vocals which are in most tracks but it has grown on me with a couple of more listens.

Apparat - Sweet Unrest (this is the opening track, pretty stunning)

Apparat - Goodbye feat. Soap&Skin

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Devils-Walk-Apparat/dp/B005E3U03U/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1318097295&sr=1-2

Another was one that I am really loving called 'A Lost Connection' by Marconi Union. Already had their album 'Distance' which is also great so took a chance on this while browsing in Tower.

http://www.discogs.com/Marconi-Union-A-Lost-Connection/release/2383347

Marconi Union - Hinterland

Finally and probably the highlight of my weeks new music is the album 'Repeats' by Repeat - basically 2 members of Plaid (and original Black Dog members) for anyone that knows them, collaborating with 2 others to produce this album - very typical of Black Dog from that period and equally early Plaid before they became a little more 'playful' in their tunes! I'm a massive Plaid, Black Dog fan and don't know how I missed out on this release for so many years - probably as the label it was released on disappeared many years ago. Anyway, dark electronic music and may not be to many peoples taste but a mention none the less...

http://www.discogs.com/Repeat-Repeats/master/6999

Repeat - Lilt-A

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Nicola Roberts - Cindarella's Eyes:P

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

Just pre-ordered Tom Waits' new album on vinyl. Can't wait to hear it!

Must buy a record player now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Jape's new one and EMA's one from earlier this year.

Jape's i need more time with but I love EMA's. Wonderful sparse record, simple lyrics and melodies. Butterfly kisses (i think) and Marked the two songs i like best this evening.

I hate when people embed a string of youtube videos in a single post. Wrecks a thread imo. Just put the link in and you can decide for yourself. /end pet hate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

lordgoat wrote: »
    Jape's new one and EMA's one from earlier this year.

Japes new album is next on my list, cant wait.

These are my most recent:

The Smiths - Strangeways Here We Come
    Fleet Foxes - Sun Giant
    David Bowie - Diamond Dogs

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Japes new album is next on my list, cant wait.

These are my most recent:

The Smiths - Strangeways Here We Come
    Fleet Foxes - Sun Giant
    David Bowie - Diamond Dogs

Savage Bowie album ^.

Jape's is alot more mellow than i expected but so much going on in so many songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Just bought Peter Gabriel : New Blood

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

nirvana-incesticide.jpg

Won this on ebay for under 3 quid. I got this for my 13th birthday and I ended up leaving it at a friends house, can't wait to just sit and listen to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Dangermouse --- Rome
    great album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I recently bought "Frances the Mute" by the Mars Volta on vinyl. I had it as a download, and really wanted to hear the fullness of it on vinyl (3 LP's). Absolutely astounding sound, the final track is a 30-minute jam that is split between 2 sides as it's so long. It's also one of, if not the best albums I've ever heard, so it wasn't that much of a choice getting it (even though I think it ended up costing more than €50, money well spent!).

Here's that jam track:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Biophilia by Björk. Havent listened to all of it but some tracks are very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

Bob Marley & The Wailers - Burnin' - Outstanding album

The Kinks - Face to Face - I've been listening to their best of quite alot. So took the plunge into the albums. So far, not bad.

Happy Mondays - Pills, Thrills - Just got back into listening to them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

20876.jpg

Yo La Tengo - The Sounds Of The Sounds Of Science (2002)
    An instrumental ambient album the band made in 2002. The band were asked to score a series of undersea documentaries and they came up with these eight instrumental tracks. At 78 minutes it can be quite demanding to listen to but there is some really beautiful music here that invokes the feel of the undersea world. It's a lot different and less accessible compared to their regular alt-rock albums but certainly worth investigating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

100_ACRES_OF_SYCAMORE_PACKSHOT-400x400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Naked and Famous - Passive me aggressive you

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭The House Of Wolves

Bought: I think it was Imelda May's first album, was reduced to a fiver so I said why not.
    Downloaded: Regina Spektor - Soviet Kitsch. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

bought men at works albums cargo and business as usual.

jasus they had some good oul' songs on their.

Zero1986 wrote: »
    20876.jpg

Yo La Tengo - The Sounds Of The Sounds Of Science (2002)
    An instrumental ambient album the band made in 2002. The band were asked to score a series of undersea documentaries and they came up with these eight instrumental tracks. At 78 minutes it can be quite demanding to listen to but there is some really beautiful music here that invokes the feel of the undersea world. It's a lot different and less accessible compared to their regular alt-rock albums but certainly worth investigating.

Sounds interesting, must check that out.

• Advertisement

Two albums yesterday and love them both...

This first wasn't instant love, took till the 2nd and 3rd listen to start to click.

M83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Splendor

Then also the new album by The Field - 'Looping State of Mind'. It's his 3rd album but the first I've bought, loving it also - a lot of great reviews out there for it too.

The Field - Is This Power

Advertisement