Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit for Meteor??

Options
  • 08-10-2011 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I signed up online for a Samsung GS2 under an 18th month contract, filled in all the online forms and provided bank details etc. 4 days later they emailed me and said my application was successful and would i ring this number to arrange to give them a €300 deposit which they will return after 7 months. What the hell is this?? Has anyone else been asked for this deposit? Dubious.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Thread moved to Mobiles forum, and renamed because it's not a rip off, it's a deposit request.

Deposits are quite common with mobile companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Turnip2000

Was just approved for 12 month contract today providing i give €300 deposit. Anybody know of anyways to convince them to bring this down? With their scoring system I'd say student means 300 no matter what though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

In fairness, I'm a student. Granted, I make steady money and I've been at my address a while now but I didn't get asked for a deposit of any kind when I bought my new phone with them a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Turnip2000 wrote: »
    Was just approved for 12 month contract today providing i give €300 deposit. Anybody know of anyways to convince them to bring this down? With their scoring system I'd say student means 300 no matter what though!

When i signed up with them first time. They didnt ask me for it. I cancelled my contract after a couple months then. Then eventually went for a Bill Pay Smart lite. Got asked to pay 50 euro. After 6 months it paid my bill and that was the end of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭fletch

I signed up for a Galaxy SII and got asked for a €300 deposit too. I rang the customer service and they told me they couldn't tell me why I needed to pay this but if I wrote to the Credit Control department they could tell me. I am waiting on a reply but tbh I am baffled why I have to pay it. I signed up to a €30 a month contract...I already top up by €20 a month religiously every month, have been a customer for 10 years, am a homeowner, in my current job over 3 years etc etc....everything positive IMO....

Awaiting a reply from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

fletch wrote: »
    I signed up for a Galaxy SII and got asked for a €300 deposit too. I rang the customer service and they told me they couldn't tell me why I needed to pay this but if I wrote to the Credit Control department they could tell me. I am waiting on a reply but tbh I am baffled why I have to pay it. I signed up to a €30 a month contract...I already top up by €20 a month religiously every month, have been a customer for 10 years, am a homeowner, in my current job over 3 years etc etc....everything positive IMO....

Some companies could look at home owners as dangerous customers, for ie. they could loose the job and have no money to pay the bill for the phone, house repayments are obviously gonna come first.

then again this could happen to anyone that doesnt even have a house. i know people that were given phones without deposits without having jobs and being absolute waster

theres many different ways you can look at positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Turnip2000

Friend of mine Filled his mothers details in and no deposit required. By the way i rang and canceled the order and i was told it would be 2 weeks before i was refunded the €220 i paid online for the phone. So have to wait 2 weeks before I can even try either of my parents details.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,470 ✭✭✭✭cson

Out of interest, I'm a student and they only asked me for €130 for the iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Chesapeake

Deposit requests seem to be becoming more common.
    Also check that they don't bar international call's or roaming for the first couple of months if that's relevant to your suitation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I was asked for €300 deposit too, on top of the €169 up front for the phone, so I bought PAYG and went with another network. Glad I did now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Krakich

That's sick. After I filled application on line I had to wait week for them to answer me that finally my application was successful and I have to pay 300e deposit. hee?? 219e phone plus 300e deposit Its 500e for phone at once. come one whats this???I m with them over 5 years on payg...Im moving somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I just got myself a 4s with emobile, paid 399 for the phone and 49 a month for 12 months, a good deal.

The missus wants a 4s aswell so I decided to try meteor as they were doing the phone for free on a 2 year deal.
    I applied nearly 4 weeks ago , got a phone call on Thursday to say contract would be sent out so I thought happy days (as no mention of deposit)
    I got an email today asking me for..... wait for it.... 450 euro?
    I work full time, job safe etc.
    Thats just crazy, if I had 450 I would add the rest and buy it from apple.
    Needless to say when they ring me I will be cancelling it.

I did realise there may be a deposit required but I didnt think it would be 450 euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Maental2000

fletch wrote: »

Out of curiosity, did you ever get a reply from them?

Advertisement