Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor quality accommodation - moving out

Options
  • 08-10-2011 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Is it worthwhile contacting Threshhold i am ending my tenancy because i believe the property is dangerous but the letting agent wont return my deposit or rent paid in advance and also will not tell me who the landlord is am i better off going to a solicitor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

It depends on the reasons as to why you feel your current accommodation is dangerous.

You could ask Threshold or Citizens' Advice, if the reasons, which you didn't mention here, are valid. If they're not deemed valid, then the EA is entitled to retain the deposit for you breaking the lease (if there's no break-lease clause in your lease - re-read it to see if there is) or, if you've a Part 4 tenancy, for leaving without adequate notice (the required notice periods can be found on the PRTB website). If you have a lease, the landlord could also be entitled to pursue you for the remainder of the lease if you didn't find somebody to replace you.

Re. the landlord's name: is it not on the lease? And if not, whose name is included where the landlord would normally sign?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

I found both threshold and citizens advice useless to be honest. The house I'm currently in is in very bad condition and while they were sympathetic, neither could give me clear answers. Google was more helpful. That said, they're free so worth a shot. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It there is a safety or health problem, a call tot he council housing department, asking for an inspection may be useful.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

MANU16 wrote: »
    Is it worthwhile contacting Threshhold i am ending my tenancy because i believe the property is dangerous but the letting agent wont return my deposit or rent paid in advance and also will not tell me who the landlord is am i better off going to a solicitor

Check out the PRTB website. The landlord (whoever he or she may be) has 4 weeks to register a tenancy with them, from date of commencement of the tenancy. The details should all be there on their online register. Further- the landlord and/or his or her agent, cannot unilaterly withold the deposit, it is for specific purposes (the rectification of any damage over and above normal wear and tear) and for no other purpose.

By all means contact Threshold and/or the Citizens Advice Bureau- however ultimately you are going to end up back with the PRTB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Victor wrote: »
    It there is a safety or health problem, a call tot he council housing department, asking for an inspection may be useful.

That would be where I'd try also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement