Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of Moving to Portlaoise

Options
  • 08-10-2011 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭

Hi can anyone tell me what kinda place is portlaoise to live in.

I am currently thinking of looking at buying a house in Clonroosk Abbey but have no clue in regards where it is located to the town,bus services to the town and general shopping etc.

I have only being in the town once but many years ago.

So can anyone recommend an area that preferably would have UPC broadband etc

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭sevg

i moved to portlaoise over 2 years ago and was in rented accomdation for just over a year, however in that year my car was robbed from outside my house and also the next car that i had bought and stored in my garage at night was set alight by some young fella that was off his head on god knows what. said he was targeting the "blow ins". so much smoke damage to the house that i had to move so decided to move to a village outside portlaoise and i can tell you this much. ill never go back to living in portlaoise

It's a bit rough, very culchie style nightlife (get as pissed as you can, shag what you can, puke at the end of the night, all to the soundtrack of awful music), very little in terms of shopping, you will find yourself going to newbridge or dublin a fair bit for decent clothes.

In other words, live somewhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

You know,you could close your eyes and wander into most towns at night and get the drink/puke/rowdy culture- but everywhere has it's good points.
    I lived in Dublin for 13 great years-no problems- but my Laois house was broken into twice.

Having said that,Laois is great as it's so central for me as I work all over the midlands,and close to Dublin!!!!

If you can drive,pop down some day and go to the surrounding towns and villages- some nice places and reasonably priced houses for sale., and nicer than living in Portlaoise.
    Good luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Starla_o0 wrote: »
    get as pissed as you can, shag what you can, puke at the end of the night, all to the soundtrack of awful music
    Yeah, you'd never see that in Newbridge!

Yeah, you'd never see that in Newbridge!

Never said you wouldn't. Only difference between the two towns is shopping! Sure you can't even bring your dog for a walk in newbridge without getting stabbed :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Thinking of moving to Portlaoise? One word: Don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Salvation

Thanks all for your information, Best me going there and looking around like everywhere with we humans you get problems.

I come from Dundalk which could be said to be a rowdy town aswell but I am not akin to bars, nightclubs etc but more interested in facilities and house quality

Thanks so far :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

As someone who is from the Town I would say definately move there.

Loads of Amenities (not just pubs), lots of things to get involved in, lots to do with Kids as well if you have them. Only an hour away from Dublin and an hour and a half from Limerick so it's easy to get to places.

Of course it has its issues like everywhere else but it's big enough for you to be able to do what you want there and small enough for you to be able to get to know people and bump into them from time to time on the street (I personally love it when that happens).

Cheers for that it is good to have local knowledge of the area.

Any idea about Clonroosk Abbey as is it a potential ghost estate, as I had the developers ring me several times about it and is it far from the town centre ?

Thanks again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

Clonroosk Abbey is just over a mile from the town & half a mile from the nearest shop/pharmacy/pub/bookies/chipper (Fairgreen). As far as I have seen all the houses are finished; there was builders working in their recently and I wouldn't be too concerned about it becoming a ghost estate & not being finished as a TD lives their

Cool, going to go down on a weekend and have a look as the prices seem to be very reasonable compared to Dundalk where I live and the prices are high for very low quality houses.

many thanks :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 STILETTOOO

St. Brigids Place, Portlaoise-is it ok place to live in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

STILETTOOO wrote: »
    St. Brigids Place, Portlaoise-is it ok place to live in?

It's a council estate. Not the best, not the worst. Settled enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 STILETTOOO

It's a council estate. Not the best, not the worst. Settled enough.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭sevg

i lived in saint brigids last year for less than a year. i moved because one of my cars was robbed from outside my house and a couple of months later someone set fire to my garage that had my car in it, moved out of the estate straight away as the fella that started the fire also started another 2 the same night in the estate. apparently he was targeting the "blow ins" and the worst thing of all was he lived a few houses away from me. i would never go back there again. we kept to ourselves and didnt bother anyone but we went through more hassle than anyone ever should when we lived there

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Corruptable

The houses in St. Bridget's are insanely cheap in the current market, but there's a reason for it as outlined by other posters.

Advertisement